weight will not shift

Oh really? Well maybe the second day is better? I think I am really stuck. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Not necessarily so.....there is newer evidence of this not just being the case of weight gained in early life, it can happen in later life too.
You'll need to search more than the first article you come across to find more info.... ;) lol

CAN not DOES. Evidence can be disputed and I didn't read any article I'm married to a doctor
;)

Oh really? Well maybe the second day is better? I think I am really stuck. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

You are not stuck. You just need to revisit the basic principles:
1/3 superfree with EVERY meal
2 HEXB and 1 or 2 HEX A
snacks to be superfree as first choice and free as second
between 5-10 syns daily (maybe weekly just doesn't work for you)

Oh yes and drink a minimum of 2 litres water or no added sugar squash if you prefer, a day

Last edited:
Oops I meant a with the cheese. No mushrooms was not a third. So I have to eat lots more vegetables really. It sounds hard.

I thought you could have 15 syns a day?
You can. Up to 15 and it's advisable to have no less than 5. I have seen various opinions on this with some saying they have all 15 everyday without fail but most people aim between 5-10 to allow for accidental syns or if you go over a couple on one day yada yada etc etc. I once read that 10 for women 15 for men too but I don't subscribe to that. I work to the idea of between 5-10 and if I slip over to maybe 13 its fine too. Whatever works best for you but your stats are similar to mine at the start and this is just what has worked and is continuing to work for me.

Oops I meant a with the cheese. No mushrooms was not a third. So I have to eat lots more vegetables really. It sounds hard.

How long have you been following SW? Do you go to group or do it online or are you going it alone?

Then I won't be able to have syns in coffee shops as they are all over ten. Shame.

You CAN if you work out the rest of it. Have your superfree, continue to use your syns weekly if you wish but I would still focus on improving your fruit and veg intake. If that doesn't work then maybe review the syns. At the end of the day the plan is flexible but if you flex it too far it breaks. If I wanted a cheeky costa muffin Id have it knowing that one occasionally would be ok because I stick to the plan the rest of the time but I wouldn't engineer the plan to allow me to do this so regularly that it affected my losses. Like I said before it's worked up until now but maybe now you need to make some changes so it continues to work?

Thank you so much lickthelid. I think you are right to say I do not have enough fruit and vegetables. I did not know you had to with every meal.

Oh yes of course, any evidence can be disputed, I am just saying that evidence changes and yes, that was a belief at one time but now experts in the field believe that we, as adults can still multiply our fat cells.
I don't dispute that and never said it was impossible just that, the way you presented it it was a forgone conclusion. If it were so then none of us would be able to reduce our weight as dramatically as some have done. It's quite a generalised look at the causes for plateaus wouldn't you say? There are doctors and scientists out there that present all kinds of studies on things that can be disproven and undermined as knowledge grows. Also our own development as a species sees biodynamic changes in our own physiology. It doesn't mean that one theory is a one size fits all.

Yes I absolutely agree and to be fair, I did say in another post that we can over come it or else we would never be able to go lower than a certain weight...ever! And that's simply not true!
But I know this is the case for me and in my many years of dieting and food knowledge, it has been the case for others.

Yes there are different studies with different conclusions and who are we to say what is right and what is wrong? I was just pointing out something that I believe to be right and have experienced myself.

Clearly here, the op has not understood/ followed the plan quite as it is intended and so that will have more of an impact on not losing weight but I took issue with the 'getting stuck at a certain weight' which rung a bell with me...that's all.

We'll agree to disagree.... :)

Thank you so much lickthelid. I think you are right to say I do not have enough fruit and vegetables. I did not know you had to with every meal.

I would agree with the others who have commented here - you have to go back to basics, look at the plan properly, read the books and start again. I don't mean to be unkind, but you are obviously not understanding it at all, and you do need to get yourself better informed.

Vegetables and/or fruit are something you should be having with every meal, every day. This is SW's superfree principle - if your plate is one-third full of superfree that will fill you up and you won't need so much of the higher calorie foods. It is all a matter of balance.

The problem with eating in coffee shops - apart from the horrendous cost! - is that there is almost nothing there which is low-syn. Panini - white bread, probably butter, often with cheese, sometimes with mayonnaise - no wonder they are so high in syns. And 17 syns for crisps? There are lots of crisps/snacks with far fewer syns in them than that.

I always just use syns weekly so I can use them in coffee shops. Is that not allowed? I do usually eat a lot of vegetables. On the green plan it says you can have two healthy extra b and two a. Is that wrong?

Good morning Fatplop!

I also do green and am around the same weight as you.

I agree with the others that you do need to bulk out your eating with some good fruit and veg. I am not a big fruit eater but make up for it with my veggies.

One thing that does stick out to me is the coffee shop panini. I too love to go to the coffee shops with friends a few times a week but while they are eating paninis and toasted sandwiches and cheesecake, I just have my americano coffee and dont eat. I always make sure I have had a good meal before I go so I dont get cravings. Also the panini will be made with white flour and that can cause you to bloat and retain water so that would hinder any weightloss on the scales.

I use 15 syns most days. I think if the limit is 15, I will go to the limit!

Its ok to have a blip once in a while, we all do.

Just a quick thought re your breakfast are you counting 4 Alpen lights as one HEB cause I thought 2 Alpen lights were one HEB so you would be having an extra 6 syns per day there

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just a quick thought re your breakfast are you counting 4 Alpen lights as one HEB cause I thought 2 Alpen lights were one HEB so you would be having an extra 6 syns per day there

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi, she is following the green plan so she can have 2 A's and 2 B's.

I hope you don't mind, but I thought a suggested menu, based on some of the things you are eating, might help to clarify what the others are saying ...

Breakfast: 2 Alpen Lights (HexB-1) and fruit salad

Lunch: Cold frittata and a big mixed salad (frittata is basically a hob cooked or oven baked omelette - made using eggs, 1 portion of cheese (HexA-1) and any combination of red/green peppers, onion, courgette, asparagus, tomato, mixed herbs. Make it when you have time, allow to go cold and slice into wedges). For a dressing you can use (measured) extra light Mayo (synned) or (as I do) seasoned fat free natural yoghurt (free).

Dinner: Leeks and mushrooms gently sauteed together using frylight then mixed with 1/2 tub Low-Low cheese spread (HexA-2) ... place in oven proof dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs made from 2 small slices of wholemeal bread (HexB-2) and bake in oven for 15 minutes. Use to top a Jacket Potato and serve with grilled tomatoes and 2 Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausages.

If you need to snack between meals then snack on raw or cooked vegetables and raw fruit and don't forget that if you are using both HexAs in meals then you will either need to do without a milk allowance (ie black tea/coffee etc) or syn all milk that you use.

Being organised is the key - you can't just 'wing it' or you will be setting yourself up to fail, so I really would recommend doing a meal planner for 2 weeks at a time (making sure that you have included your Healthy Extras and snacks etc), then shopping to the meal planner and sticking to it :) Also make sure that you measure your Healthy Extras - if you try to do it 'by eye' or guesswork (ie when out and about) then it's inevitable that you will be going over your allowance.

Personally I choose to only use 5 syns and swap out a lot of starchy carbs for superfree veg as I don't lose well on starchy carbs (potato, pasta, rice, peas etc) ... so I would, for example, have half a baked butternut squash instead of jacket potato, or courgette and carrot ribbons instead of pasta, but that's my own choice based on trial and error to find what works best for me.

The thing about SW is that it isn't a diet - it does force us to make lifestyle changes and eating at coffee shops etc is something that just isn't compatible. Like a previous poster I'll happily meet with friends for lunch and thoroughly enjoy their company - but I won't eat there! I eat beforehand and just have a black coffee and great company :D

Lots of good advice on here and I agree with all the ideas about more super free, going back to basics, and whatnot. But I just wanted to revert to the original post and pick up on your partner's comments about exercise. I have lost a significant amount of weight with SW twice, once without exercise and once with. The rate that I have lost both times did not differ vastly, so I would suggest that your partner is not entirely correct. However, the exercise does bring additional benefits, feeling healthier, better cravings for good instead of bad foods, and significant toning and body shape changes. So in my opinion you don't need to exercise, especially if you have an injury, but you will get a lot from it if you do.

Good luck hun!

Back