Weird lump in my throat

Bailey

I'm on erm day 18 I think of SS and I'm doing ok. For the past few days I've had a weird lump feeling in my throat and it's annoying and worrying. It's got worse today. Drinking more water doesn't help. I'm scared it might be something serious like throat cancer so before I get too freaked out can it be a side effect of the SSing?

I have never heard of anything like that....if you are at all concerned you must check it out with your GP.

Not heard of that one either but as with all medical concerns then you should pop and see your GP for his/her advice as your major source of clinical support.

Also if you need a "chat" tonight about it then maybe call the NHS Direct phone line for reassurance.

Mike

I agree with the advice above--it's best to check with your GP.

But I may have had something similar to this years ago--does it seem to be associated with an indigestion-like feeling? I had an irritated oesophagus and heartburn--which felt exactly like having a lump at the back of my throat--and water made it worse because it diluted my stomach acid--so my stomach made more, exacerbating the problem. It's called acid reflux. I used to walk around with a bottle of Gaviscon in my handbag--it was the only stuff that seemed to help, LOL. Eventually it went away on its own.

But please get it checked out. I'm only writing this in the hope that you won't get too panicked as to what's causing the feeling of a lump there--especially as it's the week-end. How fast are you drinking your water? And how much are you drinking?

I know that anxiety is often a cause of the symptom you describe - are you feeling uptight or stressed out? And if you are worrying about the sensation that will make you feel uptight.

As a previous CDer outlined indigestion can also be to blame and having an empty tum (SSing) can play havoc with the old digestive juices if you are susceptible.

Somethings these things disappear as quickly as they appear - one day it's there and you're just about to trot to the GP when it disappears.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but if you are worried no harm in letting him/her have a look.

Thanks guys. Not mega stressed, don't have indigestion (amazing I used to get it all the time before), generally drink about 3 litres of water a day and then maybe 2 cups of tea and sometimes a can of coke zero. Sometimes coffee if I go to my friend's yard and sit there drinking coffee and gossiping.

Will have to book an appt with my GP I guess, not been to the docs for months.

Hi Bailey,

I'd take icemoose advice and phone NHS direct. They are fantastic. You'll get put through to a nurse who will get a GP to call you back if she feels it is necessary. Its always better to err on the side of caution. Don't worry too much, just speak to the guys at NHS direct and maybe make an appointment for next week. Dont let it ruin your weekend.

Have a good one.:D
x

Back