Weird!

johnnyblue

I was dreading spending a week at my inlaws' house over Easter. My boyfriend's parents eat dreadfully, plus it's chocolate time and they get huffy if you don't eat what they throw at you.

Boyfriend and I are both on low fat diets (he's on medical Orlistat), so we both had upset tummies and general unhappiness up there, eating daily roasts and chocolate and oil. We didn't leave the house, so no exercise. I borrowed some smallish (3lb) weights to lift daily to try and lessen the inevitable weight gain.

...which didn't happen. I've just weighed myself for the first time since coming back, and I've lost a pound! :eek:

The crazy thing is, at home, when I was doing daily cardio, weights, eating less, I wasn't losing anything at all for weeks.

I'm praying it's fat-loss. I mean, I was working on my arms up there, so muscle surely couldn't have withered in a week, right? :confused:

I found that when I ate a takeaway (pizza hut etc) I had a higher loss that week. I've read somewhere that you should have a day of high calories because it gives your body another shock or something (i'm rubbish at explaining things lol

You could be right, pinacalada. Fats are good for you - maybe I'd cut out too much.

Why is this stuff never simple? :rolleyes:

Sometimes shaking up your diet helps if you find you've plateaued too - maybe it was just spending a week doing something different? Well done on the loss!

Yes it does help to shake up the diet now and again, although not very often. But you may also see the weight gain at next weeks weigh in

When I'm trying to lose weight I've often found that having a blowout meal really does kick start the weight loss! I may have to try that soon actually because I have definitely plateau'd.

I can confirm that the weight has stayed off, plus another pound the following week.

I'm putting it down to witchcraft.

eating more calories wakens your metabolism, gets it firing a bit higher to consume the calories. :) Its just getting the balance between eating more... and eating too much. You obviously had the good sense not to go mad. And your boyfriends family sound insane... I would actually hate living in that situation! Are they big too?

As I always say, eating less is not always losing more x

I always seem to find that if I have a period of eating really well and exercising loads that a day of rubbish seems to end up with a loss! Just not too often though!

A blow out meal might not always act the same way though and I know I'd be gutted if I tried that and it failed!

It might be more to do with eating low fat anyway...I did SW for months (I'd previously lost 4 stone on it before having my daughter) and was plateuing. I have now started the Food Doctor plan and one of his principles is you need to eat fat to lose fat. I am eating much more fat in my diet now but have lost 11lbs in 2 weeks!

So what I mean is that maybe having a higher fat diet for a while let your body realise that it was not in starvation mode and that fats can be burnt, therefore you lost weight! :)

xxx

Back