Welcome to Newbies 2013 - Say Hello here!!!

hi...this is a quick introductory. I have done slimming world on and off over the years (i have never really got on with ww). i rejoined in september last year and have lost 2 stone 2 lbs...i am finding it increasingly difficult to shift the weight which i think is a medication problem....i get so down having had a good week and put weight on:sigh: there is just no rhyme nor reason to it but on the whole i am slowly going down on a month by month basis. i am trying hard not to get disheartened i just wish it would come off quicker lol:)....one of my SW friends suggested your site as as a source of info and support. i will get around to filling in my profile but i think i need to read a few tutorials first. i look forward to sharing with you all
jo x

Hi Jo,

It's too easy to get down about it and we all want quick results but you are going down not up so that's all good, medication makes its really hard as well so you should be feeling good about the progress so far. I went onto SW ready for my wedding then came straight back off and have ahd to start again this time with more to lose. So I am trying to think about it as a change in the way i choose food so that I can lose slowly but surely and keep it OFF! (but I have to admit to scale watching and wanting it all off in one day!).

I am new to the site as well so it would be good to chat with a newbie and help each other work out how to use this?

x

Hello! My name is Sam, I've do e slimming world a few times. First time was after my son was born I wanted to loose the weight as I put a lot on and because I was getting married. I lost 3 stone but after my honeymoon I kept putting it back on. Then I had baby no 2 and went up to 14st 13.5 I went back in jan this year and got to 12 st 4 by June, I currently am 11st 13 but I haven't been going to group since June. I just can't get back into it! I did go back but just couldn't stick to it so just didn't go anymore! So am now regretting this!!! Hoping coming on here will help me to stop eating the rubbish which I just end up regretting anyway!!

Xx

Hi Jo,

It's too easy to get down about it and we all want quick results but you are going down not up so that's all good, medication makes its really hard as well so you should be feeling good about the progress so far. I went onto SW ready for my wedding then came straight back off and have ahd to start again this time with more to lose. So I am trying to think about it as a change in the way i choose food so that I can lose slowly but surely and keep it OFF! (but I have to admit to scale watching and wanting it all off in one day!).

I am new to the site as well so it would be good to chat with a newbie and help each other work out how to use this?

x
Hi Nikki

yes, it would be great to chat with someone going through it :eek: i really like the food regime and pretty much stick to it even when i am not attending. i lost a good two stone a couple of years ago but lost my driving licence for 6 months (medical again). During those 6 months i kept the weight off until about 3-4 weeks before i knew i could go back to class...i then piled it on LOL. this time i have lost another 2 stone ish but it has taken over a year...some months i only lose 1/2lb in the month...hence the disheartening. i wonder if they have a thread on here about bowels? LOL...i might get some help there.

how are you finding the site? it is absolutely dripping with information...i m quite interested in a super speed week. i am going to read up a bit more but i think i have to get to grips with mushy pea curry
jo

Hello! :wavey:

I am 39 & have been trying to lose just over a stone for about 3 years without actually changing weight!! :eek: I eat fairly healthily but this has always allowed me think 'oh, it's the weekend so I don't need to watch how much I drink' or 'it's ok to have cream & stilton on my steak because it's the weekend'! These 'it's ok' statements seem to have far out-weighed the good intentions at other times!!

So, as I will be 40 before the year is out, I thought it would be a great present to myself to lose the weight by then!! After I had my 2nd child the weight dropped off (how that happenend I will never know) & I was 9st 2lb without much effort. Therefore, I do not think I have any excuse for not getting to that point by actually putting some effort into this!

My start weight was 10st 5lbs & I have manged 10st 3lbs in 12 days. I know that my weight loss will be, and should be, slow as I don't have masses to lose. For the moment I have decided not to actually join a Slimming World group but try it alone (more financial than anything else). My friend's Mum is a member of Slimming world and has given me her original starter pack & I have bought the 100 Extra Easy days book. I am trying to pick a day from my book each day & follow it adding fruit & yogurts for syn free snacks. I am lucky that DH is happy to follow with me (and wants to lose a similar amount of weight) & DDs are good eaters and will generally eat what they are given & are happy to try new things.

My challenges are our social calendar but I am trying to be organised. Last night we went to see John Bishop live with some friends. So, I took us all a Curly Wurly as a snack (saving on nuts, popcorn, nachos etc) & I promised myself 1 alcoholic drink. It was 3 bottles for £10 and as 2 wanted beers I had a cider. I had a great night and stayed at 15 Syns. Tonight, DH is away & so I have had 10 olives (2 syns) for a snack whilst preparing dinner & will have 250ml (split over 2 glasses to make it feel like more) of Sauvignon Blanc (8.5 syns). During the week I have been trying to stick to up to 5 Syns. My extra Syns at the weekend are to make sure I don't feel like I am depriving myself!

I am sorry to waffle!

Looking forward to the challenge :)

Hello! I'm Bex and I'm almost at the end of my 2nd week on the SW diet and I'm loving it so far. I'm a total foodie and I love cooking and baking so I'm looking forward to trying all the amazing recipes I keep spotting as well as trying to convert some out of my massive cookbook collection!

This is my first go at SW but not my first diet! I lost 2.5 stone a few years ago using an online diet but got bored of the limited food options and lost motivation and over the last two years my weight has gradually crept up and I've put 1.5 stone back on. A few of my friends have been on SW and all raved about it so I joined up with one of them last week and here I am. My target is to get my BMI into the healthy range (I've 2 stone 8lb to lose to get to my target from my first weight in) and if I do then I'll be the skinniest that I've been in almost 10 years - fingers crossed!

My first week was a 4.5lb loss and I'm aiming for 2.5lb to get my half stone on my WI on Monday - wish me luck!

Hello! I'm Bex and I'm almost at the end of my 2nd week on the SW diet and I'm loving it so far. I'm a total foodie and I love cooking and baking so I'm looking forward to trying all the amazing recipes I keep spotting as well as trying to convert some out of my massive cookbook collection!

This is my first go at SW but not my first diet! I lost 2.5 stone a few years ago using an online diet but got bored of the limited food options and lost motivation and over the last two years my weight has gradually crept up and I've put 1.5 stone back on. A few of my friends have been on SW and all raved about it so I joined up with one of them last week and here I am. My target is to get my BMI into the healthy range (I've 2 stone 8lb to lose to get to my target from my first weight in) and if I do then I'll be the skinniest that I've been in almost 10 years - fingers crossed!

My first week was a 4.5lb loss and I'm aiming for 2.5lb to get my half stone on my WI on Monday - wish me luck!

Well done for your first week's loss, and good luck with getting your half stone award. I'm going to be trying out some of the recipes here too soon, there are so many... If you discover any exciting recipe tweaks from your cookbooks do post them!

Hi Nikki

yes, it would be great to chat with someone going through it :eek: i really like the food regime and pretty much stick to it even when i am not attending. i lost a good two stone a couple of years ago but lost my driving licence for 6 months (medical again). During those 6 months i kept the weight off until about 3-4 weeks before i knew i could go back to class...i then piled it on LOL. this time i have lost another 2 stone ish but it has taken over a year...some months i only lose 1/2lb in the month...hence the disheartening. i wonder if they have a thread on here about bowels? LOL...i might get some help there.

how are you finding the site? it is absolutely dripping with information...i m quite interested in a super speed week. i am going to read up a bit more but i think i have to get to grips with mushy pea curry
jo

Morning Jo,

I have not had much time to navigate the site but would be interested in a speed week! I have been a bit off colour the past few weeks, I managed to pick up E coli and a couple of weeks back and this week my 3 yr old was poorl with a sick bug which she kindly shared! but hers lasts a day and mine seems to be lingering on not sure if my bowel and tummy are jsut a bit upset! :cry:If it continues off to the dr for me! So I will have a good look later on today!

If you have tummy troubles then you may well find something on here to help :)
Let me knwo how you go, must go to work so speak soon xxxx

Hi everyone , been slimming off n on for the best part of my adult life and iv lost considerable amounts of weight quite a few times only to put it and more back on.
BUT
Since January this year iv lost 3st 5lb , iv joined a gym approx 2months ago and go 3-5 times per week , and luv it ! Id like to loose another 2st for now .il never be thin , but just want to be slimmer, healthier ,and fit in smaller clothes .

I'm not sure tbh....
I think I defo went back to eating boxed, pre made rubbish again after a while.
I need the weekly weigh in to stay on track.
I think it makes me feel worse if I think something has gone wrong during the week, IYKWIM?
Sorry it took a while to get back to :)

Hi!!

I have never done slimming world before and I haven't started it as yet. I've just borrowed all the books from a friend to try and get my head around it first but I'm still finding it a bit confusing with some things. A few months ago I was on WW but I struggled to count points all the time and after a signifcant time period, didn't even lose .1 of a lb so I gave up :(

My friend has been on SW for a while and it has worked for her but there are a things she can't explain, like i.e if I wanted to snack on steamed new potatoes sprayed with the 1cal spray - (with no additional veg or meat as it's a snack) - is this possible for no syns on the easy plan?? I was told not, but I could have instead, a packet of pasta with sauce - which to me seems crazy as surely potatoes are healthier?? Also fruit - can I snack on fruit at any time or does it have to be with yoghurt as a meal? I can't eat much dairy because of an intollerance so I know I'm going to struggle straight away with breakfasts as I have either toast or cereal & coconut milk.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Hi!!

I have never done slimming world before and I haven't started it as yet. I've just borrowed all the books from a friend to try and get my head around it first but I'm still finding it a bit confusing with some things. A few months ago I was on WW but I struggled to count points all the time and after a signifcant time period, didn't even lose .1 of a lb so I gave up :(

My friend has been on SW for a while and it has worked for her but there are a things she can't explain, like i.e if I wanted to snack on steamed new potatoes sprayed with the 1cal spray - (with no additional veg or meat as it's a snack) - is this possible for no syns on the easy plan?? I was told not, but I could have instead, a packet of pasta with sauce - which to me seems crazy as surely potatoes are healthier?? Also fruit - can I snack on fruit at any time or does it have to be with yoghurt as a meal? I can't eat much dairy because of an intollerance so I know I'm going to struggle straight away with breakfasts as I have either toast or cereal & coconut milk.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Hi,

It is easier than you think, firstly if it says its a free food it is simply that, so sometimes I will just make a bowl of SW chips (par boiled pots, sprayed with fry light and popped in the oven) as a snack and they are free. Obviously you have to be sensible about your free food and eat enough so you are not hungry and no just eat and eat and eat.

Fruit you can snack on any time, if your not having much dairy as long as you ahve your healthy extra that should be okay. I don;t really like yoghurt so my brekkie consists of two slices of wholemeal toast with scrambled eggs made with milk from my milk allowance (i usually add butter as syns or skip if I want to save syns).

I count all free food as free but be careful not to over indulge in things that I know will not help my weight loss and try to replace them with super speed foods such as strawberries for example. The best thing to do is go to group and talk to the SW rep they are very helpful and when you see their examples it becomes second nature after a bit xxxx

Hi everyone , been slimming off n on for the best part of my adult life and iv lost considerable amounts of weight quite a few times only to put it and more back on.
BUT
Since January this year iv lost 3st 5lb , iv joined a gym approx 2months ago and go 3-5 times per week , and luv it ! Id like to loose another 2st for now .il never be thin , but just want to be slimmer, healthier ,and fit in smaller clothes .

Hi,

I have been the same yo yoing all over the place, then i got hooked on running and rejoined SW, I seem to have finally accepted that its a battle to keep your weight down for the long haul so now I am enjoying regular exercise the diet has to go hand in hand .....well done and enjoy!

Well done for your first week's loss, and good luck with getting your half stone award. I'm going to be trying out some of the recipes here too soon, there are so many... If you discover any exciting recipe tweaks from your cookbooks do post them!

Thank you - 2nd week was a 3.5lb loss! I got my half stone award and my first slimmer of the week - hooray! I'm going to set aside an evening next week to go through a few books and try some conversions so I will keep you posted!

I tried to join SW tonight I arrived as the leader was about to start new member time form last group. She asked if I was joining and told me I would have to wait outside for the next class and I could expect to be done bout half 9 as a new member( it was 7.30) I explained I couldn't stay that long and I was told if I wasn't staying til then she would not let me join. I asked if I could sit in on the new member time she was just starting and she told me no I had to wait for the next class and wait outside., but unless I said I would stay 2 hours she wouldn't let me in???? Total madness

I tried to join SW tonight I arrived as the leader was about to start new member time form last group. She asked if I was joining and told me I would have to wait outside for the next class and I could expect to be done bout half 9 as a new member( it was 7.30) I explained I couldn't stay that long and I was told if I wasn't staying til then she would not let me join. I asked if I could sit in on the new member time she was just starting and she told me no I had to wait for the next class and wait outside., but unless I said I would stay 2 hours she wouldn't let me in???? Total madness

That is terrible and totally crazy! Sometimes I feel that the group sessions are too long and that discourages me from staying, most people ahve busy lives and you need encouragement and support not being made to wait???? very odd!

So chuffed: lost 4.5lb at my first weigh in: and my daughter did too!:)

That is bonkers, but familiar.

I went to a meeting yesterday and had to wait till the end to join too. Was there for 2 HOURS. So boring, people just waffling on about how they had fallen off the wagon. I did join, but when I wanted to buy some bars and magazine the woman took great offence as she had already cashed up! Also the joining talk was done so fast, the noise of people putting away tables and chairs and people interrupting her. I swear she said "just read the book" about 6 times.

Anyhooo, doesnt matter Im on plan and thats all that matters. I must add that lots of members did come up and say hello and were all very encouraging, that's the reason i joined rather than doing it online.

i started last night and have to say going round the group saying so '(insert name) you put on/lost 2lb this week what went wrong/right?' about 15 times started to bore the backside off me and it really started to drag on. she should just pick a couple of people that did really well and ask them what they done and maybe one or two people who put on.. i used to do ww and they would never reveal anyones gains.

Anyway i joined up as if i tried to do it at home i know i wouldnt stick to it.

that's a shame, my consultant goes out of her way to be helpful. I am sure there are many other groups in the area who would be just glad to have a new customer.

That is terrible and totally crazy! Sometimes I feel that the group sessions are too long and that discourages me from staying, most people ahve busy lives and you need encouragement and support not being made to wait???? very odd!

At my group about four sessions are ran during the day, i only ever go to the evening one which is fairly quiet. Maybe you could find the least busy of the sessions and go to that.

It can be valuable listening to the experiences of others.

Back