what are your favourite soups??

welshchick

Hiya! Money is a bit tight at the moment, so hoping to do a batch load of soups everynow and then for lunch and quick snacks. I've made a basic veg soup, carrot and coriander and the butternut squash one. What are you favourites? Thanks xxx

Mine is Sweetcorn Chowder, great for EE

Bacon
Onions
Celery (If liked I omit this)
green Pepper
floury potatoes (maris piper/king eds)
Tinned Sweetcorn
Paprika
Veg Stock

Fry the onions pepper and celery until softened, add the potatoes and paprika and stir well. add stock to cover and simmer until potatoes are cooked, add sweetcorn and seasoning and heat through. Remove half the soup blend and then return to the pan. Add snipped Chives or Spring onions to each bowl as served.

I love soup! Parsnip and ginger is top of my list. Or good old leek and potato with chicken is super filling! I also like to use carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato and onion, 2 chicken stock cubes and blend it when all the ingredients are soft. Add any herb/spice you fancy! Its lovely x

My favourite is spicy tomato - it's superfree and so easy to make - 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, two tins of chopped carrots, an onion, splash of Worcester sauce and some chilli flakes, then blend it :D

I made the roasted tomato and basil soup out of the new summer extra easy cook book the you get free with a countdown and I have to say it's the nicest soup I have ever made

Hrrm, I swear I posted this already but iot seems to have disappeared. :confused: Here it is again:

-
I think this is one of the best soups I have ever tasted.

Smoky black bean and roast tomato soup (Free on Green/EE

For the salsa:
1 small red onion, very finely chopped
100g sweetcorn kernels
1 red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
juice of 1/2 a lime
small bunch of coriander, leaves only, finely chopped

For the soup:
12 whole tomatoes
2 red onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp chipotle paste
1tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp cumin seeds
700g cooked black eyed beans (you can either use 700g tinned or soak dried ones overnight - about 200-250g dry weight)
750 ml veg stock
juice of 1/2 a lime

- Soak beans overnight if you are using dried ones
- When ready to cook heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5
- Cut tomatoes in half, lay cut-side up on a baking tray, sprinkle with salt, spray with Fry Light and roast for 30 mins
Next make the salsa:
- Fry onion in Fry Light for 5 min until soft
- Add sweetcorn & chilli and cook on high until start to go brown
- Take off the heat, season with salt, pepper and lime juice and set aside
- Next do soup - cook onions in Fry Light until translucent (but not brown), add garlic, chipotle paste, oregano and cumin seeds and cook for 5 min until cumin fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, beans and veg stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 min. Season with salt, pepper and lime juice then liquidise in a blender.
- Add coriander to the salsa
- Season soup to taste, top with a spoonful of salsa and serve

This recipe was gorgeous and I am not a great soup fan. It is definitely definitely worth doing the salsa to go with it.

Here's a piccie:

5945418221_b26bc44d24_o.jpg

I got mine from Waitrose/Ocado - it was Discovery chipotle paste I think.

PS if you cant find any Id probably put some smoked paprika and a few jalapenos in, the soup goes in the whizzer anyway so it'll turn into a paste. That's basically what chipotle is, smoked jalapenos. The red ones from Discovery would be closest to the real deal I think. Or you can get chipotle powder on ebay, Im sure it'd be adequate.

Mine is Sweetcorn Chowder, great for EE

Bacon
Onions
Celery (If liked I omit this)
green Pepper
floury potatoes (maris piper/king eds)
Tinned Sweetcorn
Paprika
Veg Stock

Fry the onions pepper and celery until softened, add the potatoes and paprika and stir well. add stock to cover and simmer until potatoes are cooked, add sweetcorn and seasoning and heat through. Remove half the soup blend and then return to the pan. Add snipped Chives or Spring onions to each bowl as served.

This sounds yummy, but where does the bacon come in? Also, do you have rough quantities? xx

Ermintrude your soup looks amazing, it'll be great for this wretched summer we're having. I'll definitely give that a go this weekend! Chipotle paste is in my virtual basket as I type :D

Back