What are yu scared of in cooking terms?

Bunnylush

Gold Member
Hi
I'm quite a confident cook from scratch person ,but rarely jump out of my comfort zone. Since starting SW this time I have been scared of pulses grains etc
I tried my first attempt at quinoa last week but made the mistake of adding no salt, and adding fried mushrooms and peppers,which I know I don't enjoy cold and slimy, so that went in the bin.

I have just made the lentil Dahl recipe from here and it's only just finished but it's tasting,looking good. Which I'm really proud of because my last lentil whatever went in the bin too.

I'm working my way up to making smash pizza for tea, but I'm flipping scared lol,why do I do this?
I guess I don't do well with change but at least I'm trying.

Anyone else? Xx

I'm not scared of trying to cook something new. What I am scared of is spending time preparing and cooking a meal and then not liking it. I worry that I will either be too lazy or hungry to make something else and then I will just grab some junk food.

I'm scared of the kitchen. Full Stop!

I'm cack handed and I am sooo clumsy. I set my kitchen on fire when I was younger, I can't boil an egg and have barely got to grips with how to peel a potato with a peeler! I'm going to make the worlds worst housewife!

Yes lol those are my reasons for being scared in the first place. My lentil Dahl is amazing so at least if my pizza is cack,I have the Dahl x

HelsAngel said:
I'm scared of the kitchen. Full Stop!

I'm cack handed and I am sooo clumsy. I set my kitchen on fire when I was younger, I can't boil an egg and have barely got to grips with how to peel a potato with a peeler! I'm going to make the worlds worst housewife!

Lol, you either need a cookery course or to marry a chef? X

I have a mental block when it comes to pastry - sometimes its all lovely and crumbly, sometimes you could make shoes from it!!! However, thankfully its not SW friendly so no need to work on it any longer!

Well done on the dahl, sounds yummy!

I hate doing steaks in the pub - luckily hardly ever have to - had an order the other day with one steak rare to medium and the other medium to rare! :confused:

needwillpower said:
I hate doing steaks in the pub - luckily hardly ever have to - had an order the other day with one steak rare to medium and the other medium to rare! :confused:

I can't cook steak either! The butcher gave the Mr a free massive price last week, I had to take picture and take it to Morrisons butcher and cheekily ask if what it was and his to cook it?!? Luckily it was rump so I braised it for hours in oxo. It was Devine.
I make shoe leather if I fry steak ;)

I'm not scared of trying to cook something new. What I am scared of is spending time preparing and cooking a meal and then not liking it. I worry that I will either be too lazy or hungry to make something else and then I will just grab some junk food.

I'm the same.. I tend to stick to the same meals because I'm so scared something new will turn out wrong & I won't have the time or energy to make something new :(

I am afraid of cooking chicken though. I get awfully paranoid about it. I get sick really easily so I am super nervous that everything is clean & it's cooked properly etc. I'd just much rather not cook it at all! Now I only have it if my OH is around to prepare it. Lol

JustmeGemmy said:
I'm the same.. I tend to stick to the same meals because I'm so scared something new will turn out wrong & I won't have the time or energy to make something new :(

I am afraid of cooking chicken though. I get awfully paranoid about it. I get sick really easily so I am super nervous that everything is clean & it's cooked properly etc. I'd just much rather not cook it at all! Now I only have it if my OH is around to prepare it. Lol

I've been cooking chicken for the best part of erm 30 years and never been ill, just always make sure there's no pink bits or pink water coming out, overbook it,it's nicer xx

Probably how I ended up so overweight in the first place, but I'd eat it even if I don't like it or it's a waste!

For the chicken fear, if you're really paranoid, buy a meat thermometer until you get more confident in judging when it's ready :)

Back