What books are you reading at the moment?

Margery Dawe

Silver Member
I am an avid reader and never happiest when my head is in a book. I mostly read proper 'chick lit' and my favorite authors are Celia Ahern, Katie Fforde, Maeve Binchy, Jill Mansell and such like.

Although, I was taken to the other side a persuaded by my son to read Twilight. I was not interest at all and couldn't see the point of reading about vampires. BUT, once I started reading it I was hooked and read all four books in a week!!!

At the moment I am reading Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything which is very good, especially the chapter on space with totally blows your mind!

So, what do you usually read and what are you reading at the moment?

I totally broke from my usual type and started the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon a few months ago, best books Ive ever read and absolutely not my usual thing.

Have 2 on the go - Mr Monk and the 2 assistants by lee goldberg - for home and Living Dead in Dallas - trueblood book 2 for train to work

i have just had a real vampire fest, started with the twilight books then onto the true blood books and have just completed the house of night all very good

I'll read anything anyone puts in front of me! At the moment though it's 'London - the biography' 850 pages of enthralling historical reading and Martine Cole - Bad Girls :D

I like to read a lot - one of my reat hobbies is birding (birdwatching to the lay-person) I just purchased 8 books on various parts of the hobby and about to order another 8. That should keep me going for some time.

Just finished Davids Niven's book, The Moon's a Balloon - I read all sorts.

Steve

I love reading, but like Allie I don't have much time at the moment for reading for pleasure as I'm studying towards a Masters (reading about fundamental concepts in mathematics education isn't the most scintillating experience, lol! :D)

I have just finished reading Mortal Remains by Kathy Reichs (read all of hers), and I'm about to start reading The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell (also read all of hers, but need to read this one as there's a newer one out! :D).

I'm also reading A Time To Kill by John Grisham, as I wanted to see how different the film was to the book :) xx

I can't bear to watch anything on film that I've read. They are never as good.

I also loved the Twilight series (and didn't think it would be my thing) although I haven't read the last one yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions above. I might go searching on the internet now !!!!

Gail x

I'm always disappointed by films of books. The worst one was PS I Love You. The book is one of my favorites and I cry every time I read it. I watch the film and it was bl00dy awful. They changed so many things, had an awful actress and some American trying (very badly) to put an Irish accent on!!!

The best film recently was The Time Travellers Wife. It may be due to the fact that I read the book ages ago and had forgotten the details. It made me cry :cry:

I don't mind the Twilight film, but I think that is the best one so far. What completely spoils it for me is the actress that plays Bella, I think she is just awful. It could be that I am a little jealous though :eek::eek:

I love time travellers wife (although it is about 4 yrs since I read it) but I can't bear to watch the film because I loved the book. Agree with you about PS I love you - the film was rubbish.

Also on my list of favourite books with films that I haven't watched - Lovely Bones, The Kite Runner. I'm sure there's loads more I haven't remembered. I was forced to watch some of Twilight by an obsessional friend but before I read the books.

The only film that I watched recently that was ok was 'Marley and Me'. The book was still much better but the film was worth watching I thought.

Gail x

The Time Travellers Wife film was really good. I love Marley and Me but I haven't read the book, so that probably helps!!

I can't bear to watch anything on film that I've read. They are never as good.

I also loved the Twilight series (and didn't think it would be my thing) although I haven't read the last one yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions above. I might go searching on the internet now !!!!

Gail x
Classic example of this for me was Jaws! a real page-turner. THe movie didn't portray this, apart from the excellent score!

Back