What can I do with smoked haddock?

susan70

Gold Member
Ive got some in the freezer and dont know what I can do with it, before ww or cd I would just cook it and eat it with fresh bread and butter, yummmmmmmy.lol.

o dear looks like smoked haddock will have to stay in the freezer until i get some insperation.lol.

Smoked Haddock Soup!

225g/8oz smoked haddock fillet
1 onion, chopped finely
1 garlic clove, crushed
600ml/1 pint water
600ml/1 pint skimmed milk
224-350g/8-10 oz hot mashed potatoes
30g/1 oz butter
about 1 tbsp lemon juice
6 tbsp low-fat natural fromage frais
4 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper

Method:

1. Put the fish, onion, garlic and water into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
2. Remove the fish from the pan, strip off the skin and remove all the bones. Flake the flesh finely.

3. Return the skin and bones to the cooking liquor and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain, discarding the skin and bone. Pour the liquor into a clean pan.

4. Add the milk, flaked fish and seasoning to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for about 3 minutes.

5. Gradually whisk in sufficient mashed potato to give a fairly thick soup, then stir in the butter and sharpen to taste with lemon juice.

6. Add the fromage frais and 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley. Reheat gently and adjust the seasoning.

Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve immediately.

Serves 4-6

Calories 169
Protein 16g
Carbohydrate 16 g
Sugars 8g
Fat 5g
Saturates 3 g.

Source: Fish & Seafood

or

Smoked haddock stew (low calories)

Woman's World - Smoked haddock stew (low calories)

thankyou, i like the sound of the stew, mmmmm

you've probs started making food now, but for another time:

Kedgeree - 17.5pts per recipe, 4.5 per serving

200g long grain rice
2tbsps medium / mild curry powder
2 eggs
400g smoked haddock fillet
300ml / 1/2pt fish or veg. stock
frylight
1 onion, chopped
2tbsps fresh parsley
2 tomatos cut into wedges
salt and pepper to taste

Put rice and curry powder into pan and cover with water, bring to boil then cover and simmer for 10mins.

Meanwhile, hard boil your eggs. Place haddock and stock in a frying pan, cover and cook for 6mins until your fish flakes when you fork it.

Using your frylight, sauté your onions.

When your fish is cooked, skin and flake the meat.

Once your eggs are cooked, put em in some cold water to cool them then peel and cut into quarters. Once your rice is cooked, drain any excess water and stir in the chopped parsley, the cooked onion and cooked fish.

Use the egg and tomato to garnish when serving :)

you've probs started making food now, but for another time:

Kedgeree - 17.5pts per recipe, 4.5 per serving

200g long grain rice
2tbsps medium / mild curry powder
2 eggs
400g smoked haddock fillet
300ml / 1/2pt fish or veg. stock
frylight
1 onion, chopped
2tbsps fresh parsley
2 tomatos cut into wedges
salt and pepper to taste

Put rice and curry powder into pan and cover with water, bring to boil then cover and simmer for 10mins.

Meanwhile, hard boil your eggs. Place haddock and stock in a frying pan, cover and cook for 6mins until your fish flakes when you fork it.

Using your frylight, sauté your onions.

When your fish is cooked, skin and flake the meat.

Once your eggs are cooked, put em in some cold water to cool them then peel and cut into quarters. Once your rice is cooked, drain any excess water and stir in the chopped parsley, the cooked onion and cooked fish.

Use the egg and tomato to garnish when serving :)

Rach, its official, I love you! :p You're full of good ideas and handy hints as well as being our resident "Mrs Motivator" and an inspiration to us all - I've had a pack of smoked haddock in my freezer from way back - now i have a receipe that actually makes me want to eat it! :D

hahaha thanks Jax :D i love kedgeree but hate smoked fish.. i have mine with fake cod (asda's river cobbler or sainsburys basa fillet) in it instead as I am poor! lol :p hope you enjoy it :D

thankyou.xx i didnt use it last night think i will get it out for the weekend.xx

Back