what did you want to do

I always wanted to be an Egyptologist but kept having 'back up plans' because I never thought I would get there. I went through wanting to be a teacher, vet, air traffic controller and then back to teacher again. I went to uni to study English Literature but quit because I realised it wasn't what I wanted for my life.

I'm now just finishing the first year of a degree in Egyptology and I intend to become a Demotist/Papyrologist (translating ancient texts) because I am loving learning to read hieroglyphs and apparently have a 'gift' for it according to my lecturer!

I decided life is too short not to follow your dreams and I may not ever get a job in Egyptology, and if I do, it may not be well paid but I will try my damned hardest! :p

I love this post!

I wanted to be a fashion designer, or a costume maker for plays and films .... so obviously I now work in IT!

I do dress make though, and some of my fancy dress costumes have won prizes!

Emma I wanted to be Maria too, but maybe so I could marry that hansome fella and inherit the kids :)

In my young days the "in" thing was a shorthand typist, pr person. Went to classes after work to learn the shorthand and typing only to go down with rheumatic fever - a very long illness. I worked in a variety of offices which dealt with credit control, invoicing,cash flows etc. and eventually decided to bring my knowledge altogether and do what I really wanted by then and became a bookkeeper/accountant after taking some exams at the age of 50. In fact my last job before I retired I was so thrilled to be doing what I had really always wanted to do AND get paid for it!!:woohoo:

I always loved historical books as a child. I read every biography in my school's library and then moved on the other non-fiction histories. I became fascinated with Tudor/Stuart history (unusual for an American child growing up in Seattle, Washington). I did try other things and then finally went to Uni and studied history and became a European History teacher in the U.S. -- I lived overseas for many years and like Mrs. T due to children and husband's work obligations it was better for the family that I was a stay at home parent... although, as she plans I did a tremendous amount of volunteering with the schools, churches, family support and scout groups. I worked the past couple of years' part-time at a British Secondary School -- but it was really too much with everything else I had to tend.

MinnieMel

At 10 I wanted to be a classical music composer, at 11 a nurse when I went to St Johns for a bit. At 13, a Russian interpretor for the UN (I did Russian at school). Toyed with being in the police or a social worker when I was 17 (both thoughts were very brief!) and had 'teacher' running through my mind in amongst all these from about 14.

Spent 15 years working in Public Relations and Media Management and now work in adult learning (not in a PR role) and have re-trained and also teach cookery to adults.

I wanted to be a singer, I was with a record company for a few years but they went bust and I havn't done anything like that since. I'll be a Student Nurse at Wrexham Uni as of march 2011 :)

When I was 15 I wanted to be a doctor, but two hours of volunteering in a hospital sorted that out! Since then, I've wanted to be a solicitor...and I hope to start studying for a law degree next year. I should be a qualified solicitor by 2017 if everything works out?

Just discovered this great thread - really funny reading how most people did something different. I really wanted to be an astronaut!! It would have been my dream job and I still dream about what it must be like - however in REAL LIFE I knew that was pie in the sky, lol, pun intended ;) At that time everyone knew you had to be a man to be an astronaut, lol!

I went through the applications for RAF after discovering the in the WRENS you could only do boring jobs (this was a long time ago!) but then changed my mind, considered teaching briefly, then started work as a trainee medical scientist when I left school. However thinking that I'd be so old when I fully qualified (at the age of seventeen 24 seemed really old!) I gave up and became a secretary/pa/office manager. At 30 I got fed up, knew I wouldn't be having children and trained as a midwife instead!!! Which I have happily done since 1996 after 3 years training. Now have itchy feet again........any ideas?

I want to be a midwife!! Tried to get on the course this year but wasn't smart enough, so trying next year! Lol

Back