What diet works?

MiniMoosh

Mooshing back
For anyone like me, with a lot to lose- what diet has worked or is working for you? I have at least 6st to lose, hopefully 7 but one step at a time! I lost a fai bit on Rosemary Conley but now can't attend class so I find I'm waining without the support and exercise aspect. Curently considering VLCD for quick results then taking a low-GI approach due to PCOS.

I can't do WW or SW as I can't get to any meetings :( due to my work schedule. Any thoughts?

Slimming world is amazing I find it SO easy and I can eat so much its just plain weird! You don't have to attend the classes. Join online, or just buy the Slimming World pack off ebay and follow the plan. There is a SW forum on minimins where the people are great and loads don't attend meetings. I would definitely recommend SW all the way its so simple and encourages you to change your lifestyle, not just drop weight quickly on a faddy diet.

Basically, every diet works if you stick to it. You can do WW or SW without going to meetings, they do just online options and they'll work, if you stick to it. Calorie counting will work, if you stick to it. Atkins will work, if you stick to it. Dukan will work, if you stick to it. Lighter Life and the Cambridge Diet will work, you guessed it, if you stick to it! So I think the question isn't what diet will work, it's what diet is right for you, which isn't really a question that we can answer.

If you want to do SW, WW or RC but can't make it to a class then why don't you do it online and get some exercise in at home? I suggest taking a look a look at the different diets and how they work and what you think would work best for you.

Personally, even though I started with 6 and a half stone to lose, I didn't want to do a VLCD, been there done that. I don't deny that they work and I'm not saying that people shouldn't do them but I don't feel that it's the healthiest way to do it. I also don't think that, for me, removing food from the equation completely really does anything to retrain my thinking about what's healthy food, portion sizes, being controlled etc. I do calorie counting because, to be honest, I just can't be bothered to faff about with points and syns and things like that. It's simple and straight forward, it changes my attitude towards food and anything is allowed as long as it's in moderation and I stay within my calorie limits.

So really, the world is your oyster. Good luck finding what works for you.

Totally agree with Caroline on the VLCD's ... I did one twice... lost loads put it alll back on!!! It is quick but for most people it goes back on plus some because it really teaches you nothing about food and what we should be eating.

I also feel it can suck you into a vicious circle of thinking it is a miracle cure which can create a easy come easy go mindset which can in turn lead to you being on an awful merry-go-round of VLCD dieting.... and its horrible!!!!

Soooo what I am doing now is eating less, more healthy, low carb and exercising. I have employed a personal trainer since november which I feel very blessed to be able to do and which I would highly recommend if you have any spare cash at all. Since the end of november I have lost 1 and a half stone.... very little pain was endured cept in me poor aching muscles lol to do this!!!

Thats my story... hope it helps.

Seems that dieting doesn't work it only makes ya feel like you are missing out on something.... by all means stick with principles of a plan that work but try to forget about dieting cos there are way too many negative associations with that word... in my opinion :D:D

xxxxxxxxxxx

Well I'm on a VLCD and it's working for me.
If you check out the vlcd forums on here you will see many many success stories and stories of people keeping the weight off.

It bugs me to the end of the earth when people say that if you do a vlcd you will put all the weight back on once you've lost it.
ANYONE on ANY diet will put weight back on after they've lost weight if they continue to stuff their face/eat badly like before.
So it's not just people that do vlcd's that happen to gain weight back.

I find a vlcd works for me because if I do a 'normal' diet I start bending the rules or having a 'treat' which turns into a full blown binge, so I need food out of the way while I lose weight.
By the time I am at goal I wont be able to eat big portions anyway and I will re-feed and maintain just like anyone on any other diet would.

I agree with blue butterfly, its up to the person to keep the weight off, not the diet :) It happens in EVERY diet plan. Countless people coming through the slimming world and weightwatchers doors with their target membership and stopped attending, putting a few stone back on!

Go a look in some of the forums, check out the FAQ sections, and the recipe sections (they all have them) and think about the kind of food you like to eat, take it from there. Sometimes it takes trying different diets before getting the one for you... It's taken me 4 years to find the right diet!

Thanks hannata, I decided on doing a VLCD in the end- went for Slim and Save. Done a week now, it's been great. Really good to not focus on food constantly, all I do is choose which thing to have 4 times a day! 5lb lost since I started so thats over a stone since I started dieting!

Ive found cutting out the majority of food good for me - I have an evening meal with no carbs. Shakes for breakfast and lunch. I think that when you have such a long way to target its good to feel like your getting somewhere. LC diet not quite a VLCD. In the past ive gone to classes from ww and it took so long to loose the weight that i got bored and gave up. I know that it works for some people, but i never got anywhere! So far its working well, but have started to excersise as well as i want to try and tone as i go, so i dont have too many saggy bits :D:D Fingers crossed that works!

xx

shona246 said:
Ive found cutting out the majority of food good for me - I have an evening meal with no carbs. Shakes for breakfast and lunch. I think that when you have such a long way to target its good to feel like your getting somewhere. LC diet not quite a VLCD. In the past ive gone to classes from ww and it took so long to loose the weight that i got bored and gave up. I know that it works for some people, but i never got anywhere! So far its working well, but have started to excersise as well as i want to try and tone as i go, so i dont have too many saggy bits :D:D Fingers crossed that works!

xx

Good luck hun

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back