What do I tell my child?

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by possum, 27 April 2011 Social URL.

1. possum

possum Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st3lb
    Current Weight:
    9st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    8st4lb(45.49%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I'm starting Lighter Life next Thursday and I don't know what to say to my 3 year old little boy when he notices I'm not eating. I've always been very keen to encourage healthy eating and he's also very sharing with his food. I don't think he has a real concept of "mummy's fat" or of other people being fat and I'm not sure I want introduce the idea of dieting to him at his age.

Any ideas? What have you said to your younger children.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. UmmZakaria

UmmZakaria Full Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Exante
    My son is only 2 and it just hasn't cropped up yet. I try to eat soup from a bowl with a spoon when we all sit down together so at least mummy is "eating". For breakfast I have my "coffee" (vanilla shake) and we sit down together at 4 for coffee time - he has some toast or a biscuit and I have my bar. I wouldn't make a big issue of it and he probably won't even notice!! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

4. Spanglymum

Spanglymum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    107.27kg
    Current Weight:
    101.83kg
    Goal Weight:
    69.85kg
    Lost(%):
    5.4kg(5.07%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hello! I have been meaning to reply to this for a couple of days but never got a moment. I worried about this too - my daughters are 6 (just) and 2. I didn't worry about explaining to the youngest but having watched my own Mum do loads of weird diets over the years I was anxious that my own weight loss shouldn't negatively affect my daughter. I explained to her quite simply that I was carrying more weight than was healthy and it was getting uncomfortable for me and this was a good, doctor-approved, way of sorting that out. It meant Mummy was going to be eating some different soups and things for a while but would go back to usual eventually. I also explained about the groups, and when I had a couple of "pop-ins" she was interested and asked to come too and met my LLC and saw what it was all about.

I always try to be frank with my children (within reason!) as I think euphemisms and being awkward etc can cause more difficulties. She has totally accepted what I did and has at time been really sweet and supportive too. (Tells me I'm looking "taller"!!)

Good luck!! Hope this is useful!

5. daisydoll

daisydoll Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st6lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st12lb(14.94%)
    Diet:
    was LL now diet chef
    Hi there
    My children - aged 5,12 and 13 when I did LL didn't notice i wasn't eating. I would always eat soup from a bowl with them and every now and then would put myself a meal out then just pretend to eat it.

I was very concerned not to make a big deal out of it for the same reasons you stated - but tbh they were not at all interested in what I was eating as long as they had food!

daisy x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.