Was looking up ketosis online and the following came up from the nhs site. What do you all think? Ketones As your body starts to break down fat, rather than glucose, the levels of ketone in your blood will begin to rise. Ketones are toxic (poisonous), acidic chemicals such as: acetone, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate. If left to build up, ketones can increase the acidity levels of your blood, which can affect your urine, and may eventually cause serious damage to your liver and kidneys. Your body may try to get rid of the excess amount of acetone through your lungs, which can give your breath a sweet, fruity smell that is sometimes mistaken for alcohol.