What do you do with houmous?

sparkledpixie

Silver Member
I made a huge vat of this yesterday and have been munching away with carrots (always handy to get in 1/3 superfree!) but wondered if there is anything else I can do with it? I like it spread on toast for breakfast too

LOL @ put it in the bin! How verreh dare you humpf!

Needless to say I LOVE hummus. It's great on toast, to dip veggies in and in a pitta bread. I also make a veggie hummus pie. Roast a whole bunch of veggies (potatoes, courgettes, peppers, beetroot are some of my faves) top with hummus, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 mins. Delicious and very filling. You can also add it to mashed potatoes to make it more interesting. Or INSTEAD of mashed potatoes for extra fibre, it's very yum with lamb chops!

I use it as a sauce with most things as I find it so yummy.
My other half has it on top of a jacket potato.
For picnics, I smother it over skinless chicken drumsticks to give them extra flavour.

Get a wrap or pitta bread

splodge of hummus
grated carrot
dash of sweet chilli sauce
few mint leaves if you have them

far more interesting than a cheese roll!

I'm on a red day and now I want hummus.....

As a sauce? Now that IS interesting.... might have to give that one a go.

Pesto Style Houmous:

Two cans of chickpeas
One tub of cottage cheese
Juice of half a lemon
Two cloves of garlic
Fresh basil, chives and coriander (I put lots and lots in!)

Blitz it in a food processor and chill.

Pesto Style Houmous:

Two cans of chickpeas
One tub of cottage cheese
Juice of half a lemon
Two cloves of garlic
Fresh basil, chives and coriander (I put lots and lots in!)

Blitz it in a food processor and chill.

Just realised that when I try to type out 'hummus' it is coming out as homous! :rolleyes:

Just realised that when I try to type out 'hummus' it is coming out as homous! :rolleyes:

Predictive text and recipes like it to be spelt houmous ;)... can spell it either way though.

I *always* used to spell it houmous... then Tesco etc insisted they sold no such thing, so I had to start looking for 'hummus' instead... :sigh:

Back