What do you keep in your fridge?

NotsofattyPatty

Gold Member
Yesterday, I was reading the result of a survey of 4000 homes by a fridge manufacturer.

Apparently, 26% keep medicines, 6% keep glue, 3% keep nail varnish and 1% keep paint and batteries in their fridge. Of food items, nearly 75% keep eggs, ketchups, mustard and jams and 64% keep fruit in the fridge - none of which need to be, even though manufacturers tell us to.

Apparently, we should keep meats, dairy produce, salad and spinach leaves, soft herbs, salad onions and, once opened, ground coffee and cooking oils.

Fruit (including tomatoes), onions, garlic, potatoes, mushrooms and most other vegetables should be kept in a cool part of the kitchen.

I don't keep any non-food items in my fridge (although I have kept some medicine in it in the past, as instructed) and don't tend to keep ketchups/salad cream etc there as I don't have the space. But I do keep some veg there because I don't have a cool spot in my kitchen - it's an open plan living room/kitchen.

'Pantry' cupboards are fashionable at the moment for those who have the space, but I can't see a return of the dedicated pantry as a separate room which I can remember from my childhood.

I sometimes keep nail varnish in there, I don't keep tomatoes or eggs in the fridge, but keep all other veggies. I also keep fruit juice, tinned fruit, wine, marg, cheese, jams, sauce's pickles, milk, yogurts in the fridge.

I have in the past kept medicine in there, but that's what I was told to do, I wouldn't normally. I did used to keep ground coffee in the fridge as well, but just don't now, no reason.

I don't keep eggs, jam, or ketchup type sauces in the fridge. Sounds weird, but the idea of super cold ketchup and jam sounds horrible to me. I try and avoid putting most things in the fridge really , I'm not sure why. We have a large stock cupboard where we are able to keep, potatoes, onions etc so that's pretty handy.

I don't like putting chocolate in the fridge, unless its an extremely hot day and needs must lol.

The coffee thing is interesting, never heard of that before.

I keep the normal Marg, Milk, Yogurts & meats. I also keep opened Mayonnaise and Salad dressings in there
I'm obviously a bit odd lol I always keep veg like carrots, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes etc in the fridge. Same with apples, oranges and other fruits

Back