What do you need for a newborn baby kit?

angie-bum

Gold Member
I was just thinking aloud in my diary entry, but I thought I would throw it open to those who have more knowledge than me! You've probably got your stuff already and haven't had to think about it much, but I need help here!

So gals, I will pick up things in the months after the birth, but what do I need for the first few days and weeks. Not just the very basics but what is a dream newborn kit, what will I need to put my hands on?

Also, now I am thinking about it, what would I need in a hospital bag? Hmm maybe that is a whole new subject.

Hi Angie

I have found this for items to take for yourself while in labour:

Pregnancy hospital bag – Cow & Gate

Or this:

Hospital Bag Checklist

Most of the sites I have looked at don't really say anything for baby apart from nappies and some clothes to go home in as they expect visitors/partners to be able to bring things from home.

Hope this helps, I currently have my head in the sand about it all ;0)

Theresa x

bless your heart for posting those! and don't worry, you have plenty more time to warm your head in that sand! I just got to 27.5 weeks and it hit me that baby could be here in about 10 weeks....eek!

Hi Angie,

So strange you shoudl post this, i was desperately Googling "new born baby checklists" and stuff yesterday!!

Found a few good lists, and copied and pasted what I thought was necessary for me into one big list... will put it below for you!!

I am just as unsure, and panicing!! hehe but at least iv got an idea now of just how much i HAVN'T got, woops!!

xxxx

Things you definitely need

· Cot (plus mattress, sheets and blankets)
· Car seat
· Pram buggy or travel system
· Six sleepsuits/ long sleeved suits
· Six vests/ short sleeved suits
· Two cardigans/ jackets
· Shawl or snow suit
· Hat, mittens and bootees
· Changing mat
· Nappies
· Bottles/ teats/ bottle brush (only needed if not breastfeeding)
· Nursing bra and breast pads
· Loads of bibs
· Loads of towels/ flannels/ muslin squares (for bathing and dribbles!)
· Loads of kitchen roll and cotton wool pads
· Brush and comb
Things that are handy, but not essential

· Moses basket/ crib (plus mattress, sheets and blankets)
· Baby bath
· Baby box or bag
· Sling
· Bouncy chair
· Baby monitor
· Changing bag
· Steam steriliser
· Breast pump
· Baby lotion
· Baby wipes
· Bath thermometer
· Nail scissors
· Nappy wrapper
Hospital bag, essential items to take to the hospital:

· Front-opening nighties, dressing gown and slippers
· Nursing bras, breast pads
· Maternity, or super-absorbent sanitary towels
· Toiletries
· Nappies
· Baby toiletries and cotton wool
· Baby clothes
· Shawl or cot blanket, hat & mittens if it’s cold
· Car seat
· Clothes and a coat if it’s cold
· Money and camera

This is what I worked from, it's from the back of my babies r us catalogue!

For Baby
6 x sleepsuits
6 x bodysuits or vests
3 x day wear outfits
3 x cardigans
3 x pair socks
2 x scratch mits
2 x hats
1 x jacket (hooded)
1 x shawl

At home

moses basket and stand/crib (first 4-6 months)
cot or cotbed
nursery furniture
mattresses
room thermometer (monitors often have one on)
4 x fitted sheets
4 x top sheets
2-3 x blankets
1-2 x baby sleeping bags (if using)

safety
bath thermometer

IF breastfeeding
3 x nursing bras
2 x sleep bras
breast pads
breastfeeding pillow (optional)
muslin squares (lots of, these are so versatile)
bibs

IF bottlefeeding
4 x feeding bottles (these seems a bit stingy to me, I have about 14 lol)
4 x teats (different flow rates for different stages)
infant milk formula
sterilising equipment
bottle and teat brush
muslin squares
bottle warmer
bib

out and about
pushchair/travel system
carry cot
infant car seat
baby carrier
changing bag
sunshade
raincover

entertainment
bouncing cradle/rocker chair/swing seat
mobile
baby mat/gym
rattles/teethers

bath time
baby bath
bath support
top and tail bowl
nursery box
2 x cuddle robes
3 x wash clothes
nail scissors
brush and comb
nappy bin or sacks
sponges
baby toiletries
nappies

For my hospital bag (working on this at the moment)

for me
2 x nighties
dressing gown
disposable knickers
maternity pads
2 x pairs slippers/slipper socks
day outfit (loose fitting, tracksuit or maternity pants best)
toiletries
hand mirror
chocolate bars
breast pads

for baby
3 sleepsuits
3 vests
3 socks
coming home outfit
nappies
wipes
washcloth
blanket/shawl
car seat
muslins
(and because I will be express feeding) steri-bottles and a couple of cartons of ready made formula just in case.

Think that's all :) now just need to find a bag big enough!

I have to say, the thing I would recommend the most is baby sleeping bags. I'm sure they're the reason my baby has been such a good sleeper as he can toss and turn all night long but the bag stays on so he never wakes up. Not everyone likes them but I think they're fab. and they make sleepy transfers from car to bed so much easier if you've been out at night.

Shel that list is good! :D
I will second the sleeping bag but personally from when they move into a cot upwards (till they're old enough to get themselves out of it like my youngest did)! lol They're a godsend when you are worried about it being colder at night etc.

For the hospital bag I would add a 'spray' of water from boots that is by Evian or something similar - got to buy mine yet, I had one with Erin and it was BLISS as was perm cold and refreshing on the tongue, face, neck etc when in labour.

Also, DEFINATELY get disposable knickers and lots of pads.. sadly things take a while to go back to 'normal' and the bleeding is err rather messy shall we say. DH pulled a funny face when I bought some the other day - I just laughed at him and said 'you DON'T want to know..' he got the point! lol

Also in hospital bag, pack snacks for yourself that will keep, and drinks - just in case. I had Erin at 8.30pm and first food I had from 4am that day was a slige of toast at around 11pm it was disgusting as made by the MW who was trying her best, but kitchen was closed etc, and water was the only refreshment. DH made me green with envy the next day as he hit 24hr McD's on the way home and opened a bottle of champagne!! :rolleyes:

Change for the phone unless you are allowed your mobiles (10 years since I gave birth in hospital).

And those little ear plugs - to cut out the general noise not your baby - I slept with Erin on my bed most of the time but I use the term 'slept' loosely as the wards are noisy day and night.

Cotton wool for bums with warm water at first to deal with meconium and then reusable wipes or disposable wipes whichever you prefer.

Err.. oh and personal hate.. talcum powder, not only am I allergic to it, but it's a major risk to babies if 'puffs' in the air and they breath it in.. clogs up airway etc.

Hope my rambling helps! lol

oh crikey! looking at Shel's list I need to get a wiggle on!

oh, and thankyou purple hugs, I missed that last post. I really do need to get a wiggle on!!! but that's good. This weekend I will contact those who have said they have stuff for me and then make a plan of what I need to get in, to be honest it's more than I thought. I will need to get my baby grant processed asap

Just remember.. baby will be happy if she/he comes home in a hospital blanket and some of the outfits etc are better bought after baby arrives as you'll want to 'shop' then as you'll know sex of baby and also have the urge to! lol ;)
10 weeks is a long time, but I'm planning on packing my bag soon just in case - I don't want to lumber Graham with 2 girls, me in hospital and having to get bits together as well. I didn't pack that early with Erin and have no reason to believe baby will arrive anytime soon.. just being careful.

Don't forget you're bound to get loads of pressies once the baby is born - some of those will be 0-3 month clothes. You can always ask relatives to get you a specific item so you don't end up with more of what you've already bought.

A lot of the posts above cover what you need quite well, from talking to friends a lot of people's worst buys vary depending on what the baby is like!

For us we couldn't have got by without our wrap sling, it was fabulous and we used it every day until she was 11 months old and we then moved over to a mei tai one which I'm still using now!

As far as the hospital bag goes, this is what I took in with Jocelyn
ME

Shampoo/conditioner
Shower gel
Flannels
Deodrant
Sanitary Towels
PJ's
Coming home clothes - mat jeans, mat top, socks, trainers
Knickers
Breast Pads
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Bra
Dressing Gown
Slippers
Hair brush
Bottles of water
Book
Magazine
Cereal bars/snacks
Feeding cushion
Thank you card and chocs
Small bin bags for dirty washing
Pen and paper - birth announcement/thank you letters
Lansinoh
Phone charger
Socks
Nivea
Ring sling

BABY

Nappies
Cotton Wool
Scratch Mittens
Hat
Babygros x 4
Vests x 4
Blanket
Muslins x 2

LABOUR

Night shirt
Socks x 2
Magazine/books
Cereal bars
Frozen drinks
Boiled sweets
Lip balm
Watch with second hand
Bean's first outfit + hat

I used all of them - we took thank you cards in as I knew I was going to be in there for 5 days..

One thing I would urge you to do - leave spare EVERYTHING in the cot before you go in to hospital and that includes spare things for you especially as much as the baby. When you need more of something (2 muslins was NOT enough for example!!) then hubby will know where to look and it means if you ask for more knickers you won't get thongs brought in (as I have genuinely seen a number of times from well meaning but clueless hubbies as the mums sit there going what the hell am I supposed to do with this with mat pads??!!!)

The baby sleeping bags had just come out when my son was little, and back then they were not recommended for babies under 6 months, so to me the idea of using them in the moses basket is a big no no. Will probably use them when he goes into his cot though as they are great.

The snacks for me is something I only thought of the other day. Because of my strange internal piping these days lol I tend to get very shaky and dizzy if I don't eat regularly, so have packed some chocolate bars to try and keep my blood sugar levels up, and won't hesitate to send hubbs for a sandwich or something if I need it! I can't give birth if I don't even have the energy to stand up.

I know! I was thinking that! maybe a rucksack? or something that can be pulled on wheels =)

Kirsty we just got a couple of cheap holdalls from tesco - a larger one for the postnatal bag and a small one for the labour bit, think I paid about £14 for both of them!!

Shel - cereal (healthy ones) might be a good move for keeping blood sugars steady as slower releasing (not so much of a spike). :) I have to think similarly too due to my BP. Am taking juice in as well that I can drink room temp but better than water.

Sunflowers - glad to ready your wrap comments as DH and I are making ring slings for baby (one for each of us). :D Also had to giggle about thongs!! lol Dads just don't have a clue about 'down there' do they! lol

hmmm, conjours up images of trying to balance a mattress on a washing line me thinks =)

Back