What do you think of this?

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
Hey all.

At work, i have gotten very close to a mummy who does WW, we weigh on the same day and she is lovley, we always text and let each other know how we get on..

However, a few weeks ago she told me about a system they have in her class.. which has made her feel so uncomfortable, she skips class when she fears a gain, and will no longer stay to the class, she just weighs and goes.

When you weigh in, there is a jar.. and in this jar goes some stones, Everyone who has lost weight, gets a certain amount of stones in accordance to how many lbs they'v lost.. at the scales they are awarded these stones and pop them in a jar. Which im sure is fab if you have lost weight.. having everyone else know you'v done well, without having to say anything. However, those who havnt lost.. get nothing.. and so just as obvious for those who have lost weight, its also very obvious about those who havn't.

This concerns me slightly.. In a positive way, i could see it being very encorouging.. if everyone lost weight every single week.. but my friend has expressed that a few members feel its just so much added extra pressure, and they hate the rest of the group watching as they drop these stones in or not..

i was just wandering, why do you think they do this? and does anyone have anything else simalar in thier group??

xxx

Hey Fern!! I think this, like just about everything on the planet, has advantages and disadvantages attached. I see it as very motivating and a moment of pride to drop those stones in the jar. And if not, I wouldn't beat myself up about it. I'm generally not very concerned what people think or how they "see me", everyone has had a SS or gain at some point so I don't think anyone would feel superior to others just because they've lost and some haven't.

At my SW class our consultant reads out what everyone has lost and when they have stayed the same or gained she just says something like "SS or slight gain for you Ms x, is there anything we can do to help you out etc", she doesn't say how much they've gained. This usually sparks a pretty emotional and uplifting discussion because as we all know, overeating isn't just about loving cream cakes. I think my group is really special, it's got a real family feel to it and we all trust and want the best for each other so I don't think anyone feels picked on or anything like that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that our weight loss journeys are personal to us and if we feel bad about people knowing when we haven't lost, it's just a reflection of our own disappointment in ourselves and is what we should really work on, not what others are saying or doing.

I must admt any time Ive gone to classes in the past - WW or SW the leader has always gone round everyone and discussed gains/losses. I bet everyone isnt as critical as they all imagine.

I dont think its much different to just going round asking/discussing but if so many of them feel uncomfortable maybe they should mention it to the class leader. She maybe doesnt realise how they feel.

^ Totally agree.. my C also approaches losses/gains in the same manner which i think is the best way.. and i know there are one or two in my group who dont like to share, but i only know this because my C doesnt say anything relating to weight loss/gain, she just tends to include them a bit more in converasation on tips etc. eg. specifically asking them a question so everyone has the same amount of 'attention' as it were.

i didnt really know what to make of it, maybe because she was clearly a bit upset and genuinly worried about it.. so that concerned me slightly.. but i wanted to know whether this is a common thing that happens in classes for any slimming club.. iv just never heard of it before..

i suppose it reminded me of being a child and not having somthing because i'd been naughty and seeing another child have it because they'd done well.. LOL

I wanted to make a Monty Python joke about stoning but I decided against it. :p

Stones in the jar? Better to have everyone who loses weight put 20p or 50p in the jar to enter the SOTM comp and then the Slimmer of the Month gets the kitty out of the jar at the end of the month. I dunno, like others have said, we all get our losses or 'little gains' or maintains discussed anyway usually.

II dont think its much different to just going round asking/discussing but if so many of them feel uncomfortable maybe they should mention it to the class leader. She maybe doesnt realise how they feel.

No i don't think she does, otherwise i doubt she would do it.. however my friend says the group is SO big they que outside the door and it takes her over an hour to just be weighed so i suspect it's difficult to keep on top of all members and maybe is used as a way to make the members feel special about their weight loss.. but as said i think there is a negative too it, however i can see it being motivated.. i know my shiney stickers motivate me!

I would tell her to take some "spare" stones with her (just in case) to drop in the jar and make an appropriate noise.

I would tell her to take some "spare" stones with her (just in case) to drop in the jar and make an appropriate noise.

:sign0151: LOL Maybe i will suggest ;)

I did think that also starlight, she obviously doesnt realise (however the majority must like it or she wouldnt have such a popular class)

However i wouldnt wait an hour to be wieghed! i get annoyed if i wait longer than 5! LOL im a very impatient lady

In our SW class we get a free raffle ticket if we lose 2lb+. Is this a nationwide thing? I always feel a bit peeved if I've been really good & don't get my 2lb ticket! However, on weeks when I do make it, it does feel good :-D

oo, no this doesnt happen at mine..

i get the impression there is a general outline on how sw are run, but mainly most falls to the consultant to chose little things like this and how they generally approach things. (for expample, som C's will keep back slimmer of the week for whoever won it even if they didnt stay, however, my consultant only does it for the people who stay to class, which i think is fair! i knew i was slimmer of the week last week, but left early and although i like the sticker, i was happy for it to go to someone else!)

I wouldn't like it... but then on the flip side, have no problem with discussing how much actually gained either. At the end of the day, I'm onna lose this weight at my own pace, and if anyone else in the class wants to judge me, thats their problem. I dont care if they lose/gain/sts at all either :)

. . . my friend has expressed that a few members feel its just so much added extra pressure, and they hate the rest of the group watching as they drop these stones in or not . . .

If it makes them uncomfortable then they should refuse to take part in this, whether they lose or gain. No-one can make them do it - if asked they can just say they don't want to, simple as that. If enough people are unhappy with what is happening it will become obvious that the system isn't working.

Everyone is different in their reactions to things like this, but any consultant should try to be aware if something is making some of her members unhappy.

If I were going to that class I think people would find out quite quickly just how clumsy I am - OOPS, I seem to have knocked over your jar again, SO sorry!!

If it makes them uncomfortable then they should refuse to take part in this, !!

Thats a good point! There was a girl in my (most recent lol) WW class who refused to discuss her wi. She hated the praise when she lost and didnt want to admit when she gained. Class leader had no problem with that, just by passed her when she was going round everyone. Thats definitely another option. Mind you theyll need to make it known theyre not participating or itll look like theyre gaining every week lol

Back