what does flexi syns mean???

madhousemum

Silver Member
i have seen this mentioned and even had it mentioned to me and seen as i had one HUGH cheat tonight i would love to know what it means please??

Oh I'd like to know that too, I've got a feeling it's something to do with using Syns over a week rather than per day, so you can use more one day and less another...!? I'm probably wrong now lol xx

flexi syns are when you go out and you know you are going to go over so you give yourself say 50 syns for the day and stick to it then get back to counting syns the next day.
flexi syns work if you count your syns daily and not on a weekly basis if you read the book it explains it better than me lol.
i count mine weekly so i can have extra on some days and not many on others

flexi syns are when you go out and you know you are going to go over so you give yourself say 50 syns for the day and stick to it then get back to counting syns the next day.

Do you have to make up for all the syns you ate though? Like, if you go out for a meal and have 30 syns, are you supposed to have less for the next few days or just carry on as normal with your syns?

no you just carry on with your normal syns the next day, my leader said that you may not lose weight that week but you will most probably stay the same

I just dont get the flexi syns thing. It just sounds like youre saying 'Sod the diet today'

:D You're not saying sod the diet. You're remaining in control because you've set yourself a realistic limit and are sticking to it rather than having a free for all. Plus it's not supposed to be a regular thing just once in a blue moon for a special occasion.
I just dont get the flexi syns thing. It just sounds like youre saying 'Sod the diet today'

I just cant work out how thats ok lol If Im going out I can say Ill have 60 Syns, eat what I like 'within' those 60 Syns and thats classed as 'sticking' to it?? Just sounds like someone at SW has made that up :rotflmao:

..here is my take on this subject - :eek:

Flexi syns is psychological. It is the difference between going out and eating whatever you want to, and planning what you would like to eat, in a balanced and considered way, before you start.

If I went to the local indian restaurant with friends, I could eat a whole load of syns, but if instead, the day before I *plan* what I will eat so that it fits into a certain number of syns, stick to the plan, then I have done well in SW eyes - I have made educated choices and (probably) had less syns than I would have done in a standard friday night ..

Going to restaurants / birthdays / weddings etc is an inevitable part of life. We can chose to stay 'perfectly on plan' (possibly feeling deprived and rebounding later), we can choose to blow it all, or we can choose to flexi syn and learn to take control over what we put in our mouths - as a once in a while thing, it is staying diet aware whilst having a treat.

put another way - you plan that when you walk into the wedding reception you will accept the offer of a glass of champagne, but as you are keeping to your own limit, you shall cover your glass when the top up is offered. With no forward planning, I would routinely accept the refill and it would all go to dietary pot from there ...

...waffle waffle waffle :eek:

So basically it's teaching us portion control and how to eat in moderation when we are out at special occasions etc without us falling off the diet.

So we may not lose weight that week, but psychologically it has taught us that we have stayed in control and a little gain is acceptable for that week.

Did I get the reasoning right?

So we may not lose weight that week, but psychologically it has taught us that we have stayed in control and a little gain is acceptable for that week.

That's how I have been taught to understand it.

It's not necessarily portion control (although that works in some situations) but instead that it is about choices.

You can allow yourself (say) 50 syns, can choose how to have them - somethimes smaller portions, other times healthier choices, sometimes, starter OR pudding.

It's our call. We set the limit, we have to try to stick to it.

Thank you so much Angie, that is another good piece of information that I have learned about SW, I'm grateful to you for the explanation, thank you, best wishes to you.

that's exactly it donnie. my consultant explained it the exact same way :)

it's not saying sod the diet at all. it's about setting your limit and sticking with it, and straight back on plan the next day.

how many of us have had a blowout then thought "i've blown it now... there's no point in sticking to it now" and have gone off the diet for weeks/months/years.. when in reality, it's just one night... it's not going to affect your long-term loss at all :)

staying in control is the key. it's all about the mind ;)

There is so much to this diet and after 5 weeks I am still learning, thank's Beki I'm glad I have that one sorted now.

I have seen the times when I have done exactly that, I've ruined my diet on a night out and the next day I just thought 'oh blow it' and then I have not gone to class that week - and then before I knew it I became huge as I am now.

The Flexi syns way is so much easier to deal with both mentally and phsyically - I am loving this diet so much.

This is the Felixible Syns Article from the SW website:

If extra Syns are needed for a special occasion, that's OK too. Flexible Syns are another way in which slimmers are put in control of their weight loss campaign. Flexible Syns empower slimmers to accept that the occasional over-indulgence doesn't mean that they have failed. It gives them flexibility for those times when they need more than their usual Syn allowance, providing a great psychological advantage. So long as they keep counting, Flexible Syns enable slimmers to stay aware and in control and an extra fifty or a hundred Syns one day is an awful lot less damaging than what happens when they stop counting altogether.
Like Free Foods and Healthy Extras, Syns are there to provide optimum choice power and flexibility for practical, realistic and successful long term weight management.

Back