What does losing the weight mean to you?

reshmus

My week 8 weigh in was yesterday and I lost only 2lb but it brought my total to 30 lbs or 2stone 2lb. While I am not there yet, I was at this weight + or - 3lb when my fiance and I broke up a year an a half ago. I always assumed I would feel liberated when I lost all the weight I so quickly gained when we broke up but now that I have lost the weight, I am feeling so emotional. We were talking about what we want for a goal weight and honestly, I don't know. I knew I wanted to lose the 30 lb. But now, I am emotional and scared. I guess losing the 30 pounds to me is losing the armour I had around me to "protect me" or to hide my sorrow.

I want to get to a BMI of atleast 23 and then figure it out from there. A BMI of 23 is healthy, optimal for people with PCOS to be fertile... but that would mean being 10 stone.. I have not been 10 stone since I was in high school? I think I am scared.

So I was wondering, What does losing the weight or discarding the weight mean to you?

im doing cd but for me losing this weight will mean I have much more confidence in myself. I used to be a really outgoing person able to talk to people make friends no problem. I want to be healthy and to be around for my girl growing up and to be able to run after her and not be out of breath. I was at least 4stone lighter before i met my fiance and My 1st aim is to get back there and continue loosing :)

Hi Reshmus.

This is so funny, not 10 minutes ago I was wondering how ou were doing! That's no word of a lie - just a few minutes ago, and then >poof!< Here you are!!

Good question. For me, at this stage of my life, the main thing is I will stop hurting. Since I have gained all this weight, nearly everything I do hurts. I have no had a day free of pain, honestly, in I cannot remember how long. I hate hearing myself. Every day its 'Ow--this hurts' or 'Ow--that hurts'. My poor husband must think I am such a moaner. But I have a high tolerance for pain (I once drove myself to work and got through the day on crutches, not knowing I had two broken knees....), so when I say it hurts, it really does.

That had made me age mentally, an awful lot, and I just can't stand it. So to be pain free is a dream.

Secondly, I would say for better self esteem and confidence. I know that there will be other factors to make that happen - but the weight is a big issue for me. I want to look at myself in the mirror and like who I see....rathar then look at me, sneer in dusgust and turn away muttering something hateful to myself. THis is getting better now that I am doing this, but before that - the chatter in my head was brutal.

Then come what for me will be icing on the cake. To be able to sit on my husbands lap. I have NEVER sat on a partners lap. EVER. To be able to wear vesty type tops, shorts, etc., in summer and not be ashamed. To be able to swim, in public. To not feel that every eye in sight is looking at me in disgust. That is how it has felt for me for years. To be able to ride my motorbike, and feel it is OK being so publicly exposed. To not cringe if I see someone looking at me, imagining what they are thinking. THat will be nice.

ANd then to be able to dress somewhat stylishly. I am not going to be a slave to fashion. I was once, and it was too expensive! lol....but I want to take an interest again, and wear nice things and feel comfortable in them.

I know losing the weight is not the sole key to happiness....and like you...will reach weights where I once was when events in my life drove the scales higher, and I will have to fave those moments with a brave and honest face, and be able to put them in pespective, and the put them away. That will not be an easy task, but it won't be an impossible one either.

And, I just, for once in my life, want to be thin and know it, and feel comfortable in my own skin. Just once.

And then, I want to walk past the young ladies at work who look right through me, and when they then decide to give me a nod, or an 'alright?' as they pass me in the halls, I want to look right through them. (thats my devil on my shoulder speaking). But it's true. Or I want to go find the three teenagers who were walking ahead of me day before yesterday who turned around to see who was behind them and then started laughing amongst themselves....I want to find them and tell them one day that could be them. oooooh.....really feeling devilish.

Losing weight means the world to me.

Oh....and one other thing....

I want to dance. I want to feel so light in heart, mind and soul that I can dance.

I no longer want to be the lady in the park, willing the tears back in her eyes and swallowing the lump in her throat as she watches couples dancing at the outdoor concerts, feeling nothing but envy at their ability to enjoy life so fully.

That is a big one.

:)

Great thread!

Quite simply, lsing my weight means I can finally be the person I always knew I was inside, but was too scared and ashamed to show to the rest of the world.

I have a strange feeling of coming home since hitting goal - I am finally me - having spent all of my adult life trapped in layers and layers of protection. It is a little scary, and I do feel vulnerable, but I know that it is right - and that it is for always!

Leesy
xoxox

To me it means freedom!

Freedom from overeating, emotional attachment to food and genreal piggingoutness

I also want to have number two baby but not as a fat mum so it means a great deal from that respect.

More energy, more confidence, more sex appeal to me!

• I want to enjoy my family, I have a 4 year old and it is great to be able to run around with her.
  • I want to ride my bike without having to stop.
  • I want to walk around in the summer in a skirt or dress without my thighs chafing.
  • I want stick my fingers up to the eastern european work guys that shouted horrible things to me last year. I just put my head down and kept walking, there is no other way to go. Luckily they were only there for 2 weeks :(
  • I want to wear proper summer clothes.
  • I want to get the job I am after in the police force. Being a healthy weight is essential.
  • I want to be healthy.
  • I want to be the real me. I feel like a butterfly that has been trapped in a big, fat ugly caterpillar, but finally getting free.
  • I want to enjoy life.
  • More confidence.
  • I want to say goodbye to comfort eating.
  • I want to enjoy food without feeling the need to eat everything.
And it all starts now. (apart from the workmen, but I will have to just forget about that).

Losing weight will help me to gain a lot of confidence, and start trying for a family. I want to be healthy in life and increase my chances of having a longer life if possible. I want to be able to show my legs and arms and not having to cover up, especially during summer, where I have always covered up (even when i have been feeling so so hot). I want to be able to fit in the back of a car seat where 2 other people don't feel squashed. I want to be able to fit in a plane seat more comfortably. I also want to be able to run around everywhere with my niece and nephew.

I just want to feel normal. Fit in ordinary sizes in whatever shop I like. Not worry about getting through gaps in shops or restaurants. Have more energy, not less and less. Make my OH proud ( he says he already is but i would like to look my absolute best for him).

I want my size to STOP being an issue for me. I don;t think anyone els is too bothered but I am.

I want to wear pretty dresses in smaller sizes and dance until my feet ache.

To me it means not quite everything but very nearly almost as it will affect my life in a thousand and one ways.

I don't want to feel self conscious any more.
I don't want to go into places such as pubs and automatically work out which is the best route to the toilet between the tables without knocking into people.
Weight hasn't affected my sex life in the way that I feel the need to hide or anything but every now and then I'll feel self conscious and I don't want that.
I want to go on holiday and not worry about wearing less clothes or a costume.
I want to have all my medication stopped.
I want the chance to live a much longer healthier life.
I want to be the real me :)

Those are just a few, but honestly there are loads more where they came from.

I agree with what everyone has said!! It's so funny, in my fat-life, when I was alone (before minimins), I felt I was the only one that had these thoughts, and these troubles. I don;t know why - you just feel alone....but we all have so many of the same wants, wishes and desires!! That's really cool. :)

Katie - I love your pic!

Like you Kate, I have been lucky with my husband in that he has never made me feel self conscious, at all, so the lights are on, and the clothes are off. But what I have found is not being very agile, leads to a pretty routine sex life. ;) Poor him. If I am honest, sex has not been a big issue for me for a very long time. But thats another peice of baggage!! ;)

I dare not say the things my hubby has said will happen when I lose weight!!!:eek::D hehehehehe Cheeky booger!

Cheers BL - that's me as I look now, the pic is about 8 months old but when I've checked my weight record from last year I was 2lb less than I weigh now so it's close enough .... though I suppose another 8 months worth of wrinkles have been added!

LOL yes I'm looking forward to the agility too - though have noticed a lot more compared to when I was 4 stone heavier last year.

Hmmmm you keep your little secrets that hubby's told you but I wanna see big big big smiles when they've been put into practice!

• Firstly I wanna get healthy, I have high BP and have to take 5 tablets a day.
  • To be more active, when I started I couldn’t reach my toes or some other parts easily and was ashamed.
  • To improve my sex life (thats started already)
  • To shop in any shop and buy whatever I want. I have excellent dress sense but no one knows as I have not been able to wear what I want.
  • Not to feel embarrassed when I go on holiday on the beach etc.
  • To get the plane tray down and the seat belt done up without holding my breath
  • To “up you” to certain people who have put me down because I was fat.
  • To prove to everyone I can really do it this time.
  • To enjoy life a lot more and not have to carry great hoards of fat around with me which basically dragged me down.
I am also worried about getting there as I have hidden lots of things behind my blubber, but I am confident that I will succeed this time.

For the first time in my life I am doing this for me, just for me. To get rid of the little demon telling me how worthless and ugly I am. To go home (to South Africa) for a holiday in November and not have my neice ask me why I am so fat:(.

To be proud of me to look in the the mirror and be able to say "How you doin?"

And then the fun stuff like shopping for clothes and going dancing all night till the sun comes up.

For me, losing my weight is about life and death... sounds extreme but if had carried on as I was, then my body would have given in... I had the warnings! :sigh:
On a less serious point, I have a few of things that I will achieve when I lose all of my weight... being able to put the tray down on a plane, buy from normal shops and not have to worry when I sit down as to whether I'll fit in the chair!!!:eek:
I don't lack in confidence as I do believe in me but it will be nice to walk down the street in nice fitted pair of jeans that aren't elasticated!;)

Wow, all your reasons are so powerful, here goes with mine...

* To be and feel healthy
* To avoid getting the diabetes thats in the family
* To feel light and airy
* To stop avoiding everyday situations
* To have the confidence to date
* To get my PCOS under control and improve long term fertility
* To become on the outside the person I know I am on the inside
* To stop getting those pitying looks from the 'beautiful people'
* To eat normally with balance
* To be able to buy a Coast dress and feel fantastic in it
* To be able to talk to strangers (in a good way)!!!!!

Could go on but have come over all emotional, thats what a lifetime of being overweight does to you!!!! Makes me realise how my weight has influenced my life so far even when probably shouldn't have!! Still plenty of time and I feel very determined!! Hope you all do too xx :D

I have still got my funny head on sorry.

I was just thinking that there is quite of few on here with the plane tray phobia and it went through my mind, that if eveyone of us got on the plane together and sat at the back would it end up going straight to heaven.

Before we lost all our weight of course:D

When we were holiday my husband used to say can you get on the other side now as I am in the shade. Bless his little cotton socks.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Back