what exactly is ham hock?

debtin

Gold Member
Hello everyone. I want to make some soup and my little boys gran makes soup with this in it. Basically i want to add it to my soup but what is it? Is it fatty meat? CAn it be eaten on sw without too many syns?
Do I add cover it in water and boil? So many questions sorry

debtin said:
Hello everyone. I want to make some soup and my little boys gran makes soup with this in it. Basically i want to add it to my soup but what is it? Is it fatty meat? CAn it be eaten on sw without too many syns?
Do I add cover it in water and boil? So many questions sorry

It's basically gammon with the bone in, the butcher will know what it is, nowadays supermarkets don't have them. You usually cook whole to make the stock, minimise Syns by removing the skin and fat. Pop in a large pan with halved onion, halved carrots, celery, and some bay leaves, pop in some whole peppercorns (pop these in a muslin wrap so they can be removed). Once cooked remove the hock, the meat should be falling off the bone, take the meat off the bone, (save the bone), remove the onuon, carrot, celery and peppercorns and discard, add the meat to the stock, with nicely diced veggies (and split peas if making pea and ham soup) and simmer until veggies are cooked.

The bone can be used again to make stock and then you can cheat a bit and add cooked ham to your next soup.

Thanks shirleen. I bought it at butchers tho Tesco occasionally sell them. I boiled it for few hours, removed then made lentil soup like I normally do. Then I added meat at end. Soup was lovely tho am not sure if it tasted much different to the way I usually make it...prob added too many ham stock :)

debtin said:
Thanks shirleen. I bought it at butchers tho Tesco occasionally sell them. I boiled it for few hours, removed then made lentil soup like I normally do. Then I added meat at end. Soup was lovely tho am not sure if it tasted much different to the way I usually make it...prob added too many ham stock :)

Sounds nice though

Back