What food surprised you?

just googled it i can't believe they r that low so for my small milky bar i can have 6 of these cool. any tips for not eating the whole pack and how manys in a pack btw lol

There's quite a few in the packet, I shared them with my son. MiL brought them round on Saturday, but she didn't like them said they were 'chalky':cool:

So, do u mean that Quorn probably isnt syn free because they have a contract with SW?......hmmmmmm I wonder!!?

cx

Quorn mince was free, Asda mince was about 9 syns. Crazy difference, and not justified by the nutritional information.

Now, they've reduced/made free vegetarian products from the own brands, because enough people talk about Quorn being free that the information is given to the right people and people buy it.

SW are a business, of course they have contracts with food suppliers.

Could it not be that because Quorn and other meat free products have no meat in they are free?:p

Well, that was not the point I was making, at all.

Meat free products free yes great much lower calories than meat, good for protein blah blah.
Quorn was free whilst the supermarkets were like 9 syns. More than their meat equivalents.

I know someone who wanted to stick 2 fingers up to it, and only ate supermarket meat free products and counted them as free, she still lost a good 3 stone.

My main point: just take things with a pinch of salt.

I haven't bought supermarkets meat free stuff so have never compared the nutrional info on them but there can be a big difference in things with similar ingredients on every shelf. Pitta bread for example, there's only enough fibre in Asda pitta for it to be a HE, do you think SW have a contract with Asda to use their pitta and pretend to us that other supermarkets aren't so good? Hmm, I find that quite hard to believe.

Weren't quorn the first company to use mycoprotein? I don't know the history tbh but think it's more likely SW made it free because it is and that supermarkets changed their meat free stuff to a similar recipe. I'm not sure I buy into a conspiracy.;)

I was really shocked at how high in syns coconut is! I guess I thought something in the fruit/veg section would be free - alas 28g is 5 syns! 28g is not a lot of coconut! Glad I checked before eating, now its just sitting in fruit bowl feeling sorry for itself....

I'm upset about muller rice being 6 syns! (I've never tried it, but it seems as though it would taste really nice! I'm weird like that!)

But, I have discovered Savoury rice (I'm eating a bowl as we speak!) and that is syn-free! How, I will never know...

I haven't bought supermarkets meat free stuff so have never compared the nutrional info on them but there can be a big difference in things with similar ingredients on every shelf. Pitta bread for example, there's only enough fibre in Asda pitta for it to be a HE, do you think SW have a contract with Asda to use their pitta and pretend to us that other supermarkets aren't so good? Hmm, I find that quite hard to believe.

Weren't quorn the first company to use mycoprotein? I don't know the history tbh but think it's more likely SW made it free because it is and that supermarkets changed their meat free stuff to a similar recipe. I'm not sure I buy into a conspiracy.;)

No, but nor do asda pitta breads have double page spreads in the magazine, which you pay for. You can't deny they have some marketing to do with Quorn, why not push it further?

No, but nor do asda pitta breads have double page spreads in the magazine, which you pay for. You can't deny they have some marketing to do with Quorn, why not push it further?

Just jumping in here with my twopennorth.

Advertisers have to pay for any advertising they do and that is more likely why they have a two page advert - they pay for it. I imagine it would cost a small fortune to advertise, but as quorn is possibly considered a "dieter's favourite" they are going to spend that money in return for plenty of sales, which will recoup their spending.

Just read that back and not sure it makes sense!! lol

Quorn and the own brand veggie foods are totally different. Quorn is a registered name, they are the only people that make quorn. The others use soy, and are a little higher in cals. Quorn is made from chemicals basically and grown in a lab, and as we know its the ingredients that decide if somethings free rather than the cals. So theres no reason to compare them, if you know what I mean.

My main point: just take things with a pinch of salt.

Errr..... why? You either follow SW or you don't. If you take things with a pinch of salt there's not much point in following it (in my opinion!). So only certain brand cereal bars are a B choice, is it that they have contracts with SW? Or do you take that with a pinch of salt and have any??
I just find it difficult to understand (and perhaps I'm not quite as cynical :confused:)

Anyway, in answer to the thread - HUGE jacket potatoes and SW chips rule.
And I was surprised (many years ago) quite high in syns avocado was. Sad because I love them.

Back