What fruit & veg do you buy?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
Do you buy the same every week? If so which do you buy? I just want to maybe change what I get. What's in season at the moment?

Fruit I buy:

Melon
Grapes
Bananas

I do like all fruit but when I go to buy it can't decide what I want & get the same

Veg I buy:

Carrots
Brocolli
Potatoes
Cauliflour
Have frozen peas
Parsnips

Give me some ideas by telling me what you normally have.

Thanks

Last edited:
Fruit I eat pink grapefruit, satsumas, sharon fruit, bananas, pears, melon, pineapple and mango.

veg I have leeks, fine green beans, mangetout, sugar snap peas, asparagus, butternut squash, carrots, tenderstem broccoli and cauliflower!

fruit I usually buy at the moment:
apples (Pink Ladys, these are so delicious if you can get them)
clementines
strawberries
bananas
grapes
and then I usually buy an additional fruit that I fancy out of the following (melon, pineapple, blueberries, mango or pomegranate or anything that is in season at the time that takes my eye)

Vegetables:
Peppers
Mushrooms
Carrots
Celery
courgettes
and I always have frozen bags of sweetcorn, peas, cauliflower and brocolli on hand.
I haven't been buying much salad stuff at present because of how cold it is.
(then it varies each week with buying between the following: leeks, cabbage, aubergine, butternut squash and I love artichokes when in season)

I also always have some potatoes and sweet potatoes.

frozen strawberries and raspberries, pineapple and apple. Apples, bananas, satsumas, grapes & pears for hubby.

veg - I buy a frozen mix plus onions and carrots. Very rarely buy peas as we mainly do red days.

Great thread:

Fruit: pears, clementines, apples. I love strawberries and raspberries if I can get them

Veg: carrots, courgettes, celery (sometimes), mushrooms, onions, peppers, potatoes (sometimes)

Salad: lettuce (iceberg), tomatoes, cucumber

I might try and get some melon next time. I don't go to the shops much (I shop online) so I don't see what is seasonal. This is useful to give me some ideas so thanks.

Gail x

Our standard weekly haul is...

Fruit -

Satsumas
Apples
Pears
Melon
Pineapple
All sorts of frozen fruit, can't even remember what types there are now there are so many!

Veg -

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Carrots
Spuds
Swede
Butternut Squash
Green beans
Frozen peas
Peppers
Mushrooms
Onions
Parsnips
Cabbage
Corn on the cob
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Lettuce
Spring Onions

It does change depending on what is in season, but that is what is basically what we have in at the moment! Takes us a while to get out of the fruit/veg section at the supermarket when we go shopping lol

Last edited:
My favourite seasonal fruit at the moment is sharon fruit. I think it is very Christmasy as it tastes like a cross between a pear and a date. Very pretty too. Just make sure they are ripe or they taste manky!

I will eat any fruit or veg except okra and baby corn cobs.

Fruit:

Nectarines, bananas, plums, clementines
these are occasionally bolstered up with one or more of the following:
apples, grapes, pineapple, grapefruit, or a pomelo ( like a giant orrange / grapefruit )..

Veg: White cabbage, leeks, cauliflower ( frozen ).
These are again supplimented most weeks with one or more of the following:
Brussel sprouts, Parsnips, Carrots, other types of cabbage ( savoy or pointy ).
I suppose that tecnically beans in tom sauce are a veg, so 6 cans of those a week too..

I don't buy much fruit, but veg:

onions, mushrooms, peppers, butternut squash, broccoli, savoy cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, sweetcorn, parsnips, potatoes, spinach, peas, courgettes, aubergine..that's most of the regulars for me :D

We spend loads on fruit and vege! We don't get loads of fruit because we have that more for snackages than meals so try to keep the cost down. We usually always get grapes though cos they're my favourite and then a mixture of:
apples, satsumas, plums or whatever's on offer (morrisons have been having alot of £1 offers recently)

Vege we buy:
peppers (lots! I normally get 2 bags of them yum :))
red onions
white onions
cabbage
mushrooms
brocolli
carrots
leeks
sweede

Lots of potatoes too.... jackets and maris pipers for chips

After I've put all that in the trolley I normally get a bit stressed about the cost lol
I keep on meaning to buy interesting vege that I havn't tried before like celeriac

We buy about 12 quid a week on fruit alone!!!
Apples (braeburn or cripps pink)
Oranges (mandarins, satsumas, clementines which ever are 2 for £2)
Bananas
Strawberries
Raspberries
Pineapple
Pears
(sometimes grapes or other yummy things like kiwis)

Veg:
Leeks
scallions
onions
peppers
Mushrooms
garlic
potatoes & sweet potatoes

(frozen- broccoli, carrots, baby corn, green beans)

I am a starvo and have been known to eat an entire pineapple in one sitting! lol. We eat tonnes of fruit and veg (or at least I do!) :)

Yes we buy lots of fruit and veg .... most of the time it is seasonal or what the kids ask for but i always buy gala apples, bananas to go with my weetabix in the mornings ... then anything that is on offer or that we fancy really, pineapples, melons, strawberries, tangerines, grapes or kiwi ... they are the favs but we will eat most fruit. But we dont like frozen fruit at all.

The veg is the same really, i will buy whatever i need for the weeks recipes which usually involves potatoes.. mushrooms, broccoli, carrots onions leeks etc etc but we are definately getting more adventurous with the veg because of the recipes i am cooking.

This is great lots more ideas for me X

talking of frozen fruit... can you freeze your own?
I buy bags of frozen fruit cocktail but a lot of it is melon which I'm not keen on..
I do enjoy the frozen grapes, apple and small orange segments though so if I can freeze my own it would work out cheaper I'm sure..

Not sure whether or not you can freeze your own but why not try it and see what it's like? Certainly fruits like apple and pear freeze well. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries etc are only really suitable for using in flans, tarts etc.

Denise

I tend to do the same;

Mixed lettuce leaves/carrots (Asda) and add radish, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onion etc.

Carrots, onions, parsnip, mushroom,

Frozen mixed veg (very versatile)

As for fruit? - apples, bananas, pears, satsumas.

Ocassionally I try to change or add new, but invariably end up giving away or throwing out:eek:

Steve

Back