What Ham?

lala85

Can anyone tell me what sliced ham we are allowed please? I get so confused when trying to choose..how much salt or what ham is lean etc?

I can only quote the book which says no smoked or deli style ham. I buy the packs of plain cooked ham, turkey and beef which I've been assuming is ok...

Yes, I buy those too. Much improved with flavourings such as spicy quark or mustard. Very good on oatbran bread or blinis ( see recipes section).

Is it ok to have the bernard Matthews wafer thin ham? It says it is cured and the book says no to that... What do you think?

I have!

I would like to know what hams do you buy. The low fat ones i saw were so expensive! I found smoked salmon cheaper!

In France, ham isn't ok at all if that helps! The only "ham" he accepts is a synthetic plastic looking (and tasting) fat free ham. Many in the UK I know are presuming "lean ham" means ham without the fat round the edge, which might work. Or might not.

I'd keep well away myself except for an emergency. Certainly not something to have in one's daily meals.

This diet really does encourage us back to the kitchen - where things are far less pricey to cook ourselves.

I've noticed since starting this diet that my taste buds have become quite sensitive and when I ate some of the sliced ham the other day it tasted really salty to me, so I've since started avoiding it and sticking with sliced chicken/beef instead.

I find that sticking sliced chicken it under the grill and crisping it up (to serve with poached eggs) make a nice substitute for bacon :)

I've noticed since starting this diet that my taste buds have become quite sensitive and when I ate some of the sliced ham the other day it tasted really salty to me, so I've since started avoiding it and sticking with sliced chicken/beef instead.

I find that sticking sliced chicken it under the grill and crisping it up (to serve with poached eggs) make a nice substitute for bacon :)

I think im going to avoid Ham. I ate smoked Ham today, didnt realise it was banned. :sigh:

Anyway - ive been looking at the sliced chicken and mini fillets you can buy in packs and they all contain things like potato/pea starch, or Dextrose, sugar and salt....surely this isnt good.

Where do people get their pre packed chicken from? What should we be avoiding as added ingredients?

Back