what have you made and can recommend from this months mag?

I made the Chicken and Leek pot pies (from the roast chicken/leftovers page) and they were delish! I didn't use the whole quantities as I didn't want to use up all my leftover chicken in case they tasted horrible (the rest is going in mushy pea curry tonight) but I still managed to make it feed two adults. Some mushrooms would be nice in it too..

In fact, I was extra pleased because, instead of the mash, I just put a couple of spuds in the microwave, then sliced them for the topping and that meant it could be free on EE, Green and Red (chicken as HExB on Green, spud as HExB on Red). And, according to the recipe, you can freeze them.

All in all, a winner. I can imagine I'll be adapting this weekly with leftover Sunday roast. :)

The minestrone soup from the little booklet is good:) I'm off to make a second batch of it shortly but using a mexican bean mix-lol

Last edited:
Did the chicken n mushroom pies - - as I was making for just 2 people I halved the ingredients except for the chicken stock lol still used a full stock cube so was very strong, still good though but not a patch on the Lancs hotpot

Jo x

I made the hotpot this week and it was yum!!! Really quick and easy to cook too. Looking forward to trying the chicken pies after reading this forum ... must dig my magazine out again...

we'v just had the cottage pie from the booklet and i loved it as did OH although i added baked beans in the mixture it was lovely x

leek and pea pasta - okay but nothing special

chicken and veg curry but used quorn instead - good and tasty

morroccan rice with chickpeas - good but needed oomph (I added dried apricots and mango chutney) - leftovers for lunch in a pitta bread

and tonight the broccoli and pasta bake - great and easy to adapt to other ingredients

hiya

Just wondering if theres any way to work out the red and green day syn values for the recipes in the comfort foods mag.

The recipes look lush but they've only printed the extra easy values and I've never got my head round that so i prefer to stick with the old fashioned red and green.

The recipes in the main mag always have all the syn values at the back of the mag but theres nothing about the recipes in the mini mag.

It makes me a bit mad tbh. Surely not everybody is on extra easy??? :-(

thanks

ive made the leek and pea pasta -
chicken and veg curry- the stuffed mushrooms yum !! the fish pie from the comfort booklet scrummy also added extra seafood mix and may give the chicken pies a go but make a big one tomorrow

made the chicken pie a big one scrummy !!!!

I made the chicken and mushroom pies on Saturday. Kept recipe pretty much the same except added more bacon and less chicken, plus used a chopped up big leek instead of baby ones, and quartered bigger mushrooms instead of button mushrooms.
It was really really scrummy, brilliant comfort food for a chilly evening!

Just wondering if theres any way to work out the red and green day syn values for the recipes in the comfort foods mag.

I think you'd just have to work them out yourself and maybe play around with the measurements to work out syns/Hex allowance.
i.e. the Lancashire Hotpot - you could take the sliced potato as your HEXB allowance, but you'd have to make sure the weight of the potato was correct.

Hope that makes sense. Agree it is a bit of a pain.

hiya

The recipes look lush but they've only printed the extra easy values and I've never got my head round that so i prefer to stick with the old fashioned red and green.

The recipes in the main mag always have all the syn values at the back of the mag but theres nothing about the recipes in the mini mag.

It makes me a bit mad tbh. Surely not everybody is on extra easy??? :-(

thanks
Hi near the back of the magazine there is a page that lists all of the recipes and all of the syn values green, red and EE

Hi near the back of the magazine there is a page that lists all of the recipes and all of the syn values green, red and EE

Hi yeah it does for the recipes in the main magazine but it doesnt list the recipes in the mini mag :(

I made the brocolli and penne cheesy bake last night. Very filling but needed a bit more cheesy flavour, I thought. I halved the quantities to make 2 servings and used low low cheddar to save syns. Perhaps next time I will use a bit of stronger cheese and maybe a bit of nutmeg would make it more tasty, Worth making again anyway.

have you got the recepie for this please.i know ive seen it in 1 of my books and ive just sat here and gone through all my sw mags and i cant find it.

Back