what have you replaced food with?

have you ever considered hypnotherapy?
I could have written your post a while back.I ate whether I was happy/sad/lonely/and sometimes I was even hungry.(thus the reason Im in this sorry mess ha!) I did a few hypno sessions with a hypnotherapist and it was amazing.it has totally changed my attitude to food.
now food is just food. I enjoy it, I make healthy choices, yes I still have chocolate, wine etc but it doesnt rule me anymore, and that is amazing. I know when I get to goal this time - I will stay there because my whole attitude has changed.

I loved binging in the evenings nothing I liked more than to sit on the sofa with a cuppa and a couple of packets of crisps and sometimes some biscuits but now when I'm getting bored coz that's all it really is I have a drink and think do I really need it how am I going to feel if I eat that then I put on at my next wi and how poo I would feel having put on weight? Sometimes the urge to eat junk gets the better of me and I have something naughty I forgive myself for doing it and as long as I know iv enjoyed it I don't mind. I just think iv had what I needed now get back onto sw and be extra good the next day!

I'm smoking more.
I'm not promoting it (Insert self-indulgent non-smokers opinion here lol) it's just how I deal with it...

Unfortunately I'm the same as qualitybrittany. Really not a good thing to be swapping food for more cigarettes. Must work harder on this twisted logic of mine, lol! :) xx

I've swapped it for jewellery making. Any hobby would be good though! I've found sitting in front of the TV of a night REALLY hard and then I think about food, so I watch the soaps with my dinner and then I get up and do something for a few hours. My "something" is either housework (if any needs doing) or I sit down at my desk and get my clay out and make some beads or my wire/sheet metal and make some jewellery components or I'll mix the two and make a piece of jewellery for my shop.
When I've finished being creative I have a bit of supper (normally some fruit/yogurt or a HExB if I've one left) and then it's bed time.

I know if I sat around doing nothing in the evenings I would binge. I could have written your post, I loved binging in the evenings, loved it and I miss it too but I feel better about myself when I'm being proactive and that feeling is spurring me on at the mo.

I find the evenings are the worst for me its when i really want to just sit down and eat so i go walking instead or get out my fitness dvd and do some cardio and of course spend way too much time on minimins :D

Tea. Lots of it. I find that tea makes me feel relaxed and cozy. Biscuits are lovely with tea but I'm sort of over that. Just a nice creamy sweet hot cuppa. Better than any bag of crisps or Choc. I do drink a lot of decaf tea so I'm not up all night and dehydrated. Mmmmm

Hi, since moving abroad I have put on 2 stone, it is the first time I haven't worked and my life revolves around food. I used to love going to the gym, but don't have access to one and can't motivate myself to exercise at home and the worse thing is I have started smoking again after 7 years, cos I just kept thinking, well when I smoked I was slim cos I didn't want to eat as much, I would have a cigarette if I was stresses or unhappy or whatever. I am going to give up again but I think start my weight loss off first, feel a bit happier about myself then I will tackle the smoking. Always tried to do it by myself but I'm finding it so hard. Pathetic I know:(

OMG thank you for all the replies - I didn't expect quite so many.

I'm very glad to know I'm not alone in this :)

I actually managed to get through last night without really being tempted with anything (although there wasn't anything in the house anyway). And tonight I'm out anyway for my nephews birthday so all is well today too.

And Debbie - I have considered hypnotheraly but the cost of seeing someone is putting me off because I gather it would be more than a one off. I'm still thinking on that one.

I'm erring on the side of re-joining class again tonight so that will be thursday nights sorted as well as wednesdays (zumba night :D). Actually friday, saturday and sundays are my worse temptation days so if I can just find a way to get through those??

i drink loads of green tea. i stopped smoking a year ago so i''ve sort of battled double with the food and cigarette cravings initially. the ciggy cravings have gone now though but food is always at the front of my mind lol. i exercise more and just generally make sure i've got a good stock of free or low syn supplies nearby. although a little treat occasionally is always good too :)

Your post struck such a chord with me. It describes exactly how I used to feel about food- not just a thing for comfort, but a thing to celebrate with, relax with, cuddle up with, go out shopping with- literally the first thing I did when I booked a holiday was go to the 'what they eat here' section of the guide book.

TBH mate, my attitude hasn't changed too much- I am pleased to say I still LOVE food, but have recognised that loving something and having your life dictated by it are quite different.

I do love exercise now, but know that if 3 years ago someone had said to me "why don't you go out for a run when you want to eat?" I would have laughed myself silly while opening the next mars bar- I believe that will come, but it won't replace what you have now. You can't replace this unhealthy behaviour- you need to beat it, not swap it

Everytime you want to eat and feel it controlling you- eat! Eat free foods to your hearts content- until you feel sick if necessary and the absolutely VITAL thing is, you don't have to feel guilty. I have many times had a massive binge on cooked chicken, bean salad, prawns, fruit, sw chips and when adding it to the food diary was chuffed that I hadn't used 1 syn, so suddely felt all virtuous!

Once you accept that you CAN eat without guilt you will find that over time food won't have the same hold over you anymore. This is why SW is so successful- you won't eat like this for your whole journey, maybe at the start while you learn to accept that food isn't some horrible demon to be avoided- once you start to accept this and see that you can eat without beating yourself up, you will find that you naturally don't crave it as much

I am not saying that I am 'cured' now- to be honest I don't think I will ever be truly normal around food, but you have to give yourself permission to eat without fear or guilt, say "never mind" when you slip NOT berate youself by looking at fat pictures and calling yourself ugly names (would you do this to a child to encourage them to behave? NO!!! You would use love, positivity and encouragement), and slowly work towards normalising your relationship with food.

Good luck, my friend

xxx

WOW!!! That is the best things I have ever read!!! You are an absolute inspiration cocktailprincess! Thank you xx

We all have our reasons for wanting to lose,weight so I keep asking myself, is that snack work it? Most of the time it's no. There is a wise saying "nothing tastes as good as being slim feels".

I just wanted to say thanks again people :)

This weekend has been a success and despite being tempted I've not strayed for the first time in ages. I've been taking your advice - reaching for free foods first and just reminding myself why I'm doing this in the first place.

CP your post was very inspiring - thank you.

I have to remind myself that I'm so much better now than I was even though I still have a way to go.

charliesworld said:
Hi ladies. I'm a serial dieter who never actually loses any weight. I've been on slimming world for years but have yet to be successful. Not because the plan doesn't work but because I am finding it impossible to give up "comfort foods".

I eat (and I mean overeat!) because I have had a bad day and want to wallow a bit, because I've had a good day/week and want to reward myself, because it's there and I've absent mindedly put it in my mouth and then thought sod it I've failed again and eat even more. I eat because it makes experiences more pleasurable - like going shopping then stopping for lunch or coffee and cake, or going on holiday and having ice cream, watching tv in the evening with plenty of snacks as opposed to just a cup of tea. I look forward to eating and can probably go as far as to say I'm addicted to it which is a whole new ballgame than simply having to "go on a diet" to lose weight.

So my question is, for those who are like me - and I'm sure there must be some out there - what have you replaced the food with?

I am really struggling and getting very down about the whole thing. It's like I'm obsessed with it but stuck in this cycle of being good for a few days then completely going off track for a couple of days and undoing all my good work.

This year I was determined to lose weight. I set myself an achievable target of 1lb a week which would get me to target by Christmas. I have lost 3lbs so far in 2 months. I was chatting to a friend yesterday and it just suddenly became clear that I have more to work on than just changing my eating habits because actually my meals are pretty healthy as they are. I know how to eat properly (I've been doing sw long enough!!) BUT I cannot seem to stop (and I can't imagine ever managing without) those times where I just eat and eat what I want because I want it - and I will eat until I feel sick too!

Just as an example, if I got home tonight and really felt like overeating I know I would be battling with myself all night. So what happens? I think sod it if I just eat at least I won't have to put up with the inner turmoil iykwim so I end up doing exactly what I promised myself I wouldn't and feel ok that night but will wake up the next morning feeling terrible about myself. And then the process starts again.

Oooh blimey that was a bit heavy sorry :eek: Any suggestions though would be very gratefully received.

This is me too :-(

Back