What (healthy) foods can you eat that aren't on the list?

TwinkleToesT

Hey guys?I don't mean not sticking to the diet? I just mean can we eat Carrots? They're never on the list and I feel like their so healthy :(

And nuts!!! It's killing me that we can't eat nuts because I used to eat almonds and pistachios all the time for an energy kick before exercise. Are nuts not healthy? I miss them so much haha

Also whats the go with tomato, I heard they're a no go but just wondering why? Are there any other healthy foods that they haven't written on the list that you can still eat and be in ketosis?

I'm on Step 2. Thank you! :) xx

None as far as I'm aware. Things like carrots, tomatoes, nuts etc. will kick you out of ketosis because of their carb load. This is essentially a food replacement diet and gets great results because it's so restrictive. You have to commit to it 100% unfortunately to get those results and it can be damaging to your health going in and out of ketosis as well as affecting your losses if you're deviating from the allowed foods. Even diet coke can knock some people out of ketosis.

Kiwi is right. Tomato is a fruit and has fairly high sugar in it. Carrots and other starchy or sweet veg aren't allowed because they're starchy or sweet and so have high carbs. If you have these foods then you are likely to struggle to get into and stay in ketosis. With nuts it's the carb and high fat content that means you shouldn't have them on Cambridge. You might be surprised how many calories are in nuts, the fats in them are generally good fats but still calorific!

All these things are healthy in a calorie controlled diet but aren't suitable for a VLCD or lcd.

Once you are happy with your weight there's no reason you can't eat those things but it should be as part of a normal healthy diet with the calories accounted for in your day to day diet!

Xxx

As mentioned above, it's not about calories. It's about carbs! Carbs will put you out off ketosis whereas calories technically won't depending on their source!

Hi, what plan are you on? X

Hi,

I'm on step two and have three packs plus a meal using the allowable meat and vegs? If you veer off plan you could end up having low losses or even gains. I know its hard, but if you're serious about losing that horrible weight then make a commitment, grit your teeth and plough on. You'll be so glad you stuck to the rules 100%. X

I'm confused already. I thought I would make the crustless quiche (page 34 of the little book) and it has cherry tomatoes in the recipe. However I can't see tomatoes on the list of allowable foods and have read somewhere, I think on here, that tomatoes are to be avoided! It did taste nice with the tomato and gave it a bit of colour, so will add them next time too, but how come it's in the recipe but not on the list?

I'm confused already. I thought I would make the crustless quiche (page 34 of the little book) and it has cherry tomatoes in the recipe. However I can't see tomatoes on the list of allowable foods and have read somewhere, I think on here, that tomatoes are to be avoided! It did taste nice with the tomato and gave it a bit of colour, so will add them next time too, but how come it's in the recipe but not on the list?

The allowed list is based on known amounts. The recipes allow small amounts of things that aren't on the list. The explanation for that is the recipes are carefully planned so they allow some foods that aren't on the list without going over the carb limits. However 80g of tomatoes would be too much carbs. The recipes are fine to use though. Enjoy!

Xxx

What about fruit like blueberries and acai berry? Sorry I'm being annoying but when I start Step 3 soon I'd really enjoy a blueberry and acai smoothie for breakfast haha

Back