What is glycogen?

hypno1

Hi all,

I keep hearing about glycogen putting weight on when you come off cd but what exactly is it and what are the food groups that would cause it?

Is it anything to do with being on a GI diet? Would that help when coming off CD on to "normal" foods?

Hi all,

I keep hearing about glycogen putting weight on when you come off cd but what exactly is it and what are the food groups that would cause it?

Glycogen comes from excess sugar. It's a complex carbohydrate that gets stored mainly in the liver, though some is in the muscles. It's used for quick release energy. Glycogen holds on to about 3-4 times it's own weight in water.

During your first week on CD, you lose a lot of glycogen and the water with it as you restrict carbohydrates...hence the big first week weight loss. If you suddenly eat more carbs than the plans allow, you can quickly get some of that weight back, but it's glycogen weight, not fat.

If you come off by moving up the plans, as everyone should really, the glycogen restores, but the limited cals mean you can continue to lose to counterbalance any weight gain :)

Hope that helps

ahhhh so glad thats been clarified . I was wondering what it was too many thanks x

Glycogen comes from excess sugar. It's a complex carbohydrate that gets stored mainly in the liver, though some is in the muscles. It's used for quick release energy. Glycogen holds on to about 3-4 times it's own weight in water.

During your first week on CD, you lose a lot of glycogen and the water with it as you restrict carbohydrates...hence the big first week weight loss. If you suddenly eat more carbs than the plans allow, you can quickly get some of that weight back, but it's glycogen weight, not fat.

If you come off by moving up the plans, as everyone should really, the glycogen restores, but the limited cals mean you can continue to lose to counterbalance any weight gain :)

Hope that helps

Hi KD, just wondered... does this mean that if I was to suddenly switch from CD to say Weight Watchers then i'd more than likely put all the weight straight back on? My plan was to follow CD sole source to give me a 'kick start' if you like and then switch to WW after 9-10 weeks to 'finish off' and maintain but now i'm wondering if there's any point in me following CD at all?

Hi KD, just wondered... does this mean that if I was to suddenly switch from CD to say Weight Watchers then i'd more than likely put all the weight straight back on? My plan was to follow CD sole source to give me a 'kick start' if you like and then switch to WW after 9-10 weeks to 'finish off' and maintain but now i'm wondering if there's any point in me following CD at all?

No, you wont put it all back on. If you go straight from SS, to a diet that includes a fair amount of carbs, you are probably likely to put on most of the weight that you lost in the first week of Cambridge.

The first few days weight loss on CD tends to be water/glycogen weight. After that it's mainly fat, which will stay off assuming you don't overeat that is.

I would say there was far more point in you stopping on CD than swopping to any other diet (especially WW, sigh :rolleyes:) - just check out some of the success stories on here and look at the fabulous weight losses!! (And CD has its own maintenance plan.) It's up to you really - do you want a quick and motivational weight loss (if yes, stay here!) or do you want to lose 1-2 lbs. a week and put up with listening to lots of drivel from other demoralised fatties week after week after week?

(Guess who did WW and hated it, lol?! ;))

Hope that helps
Is it normal to gain a bit when you go up a plan?, I did so on both 1000 and 1200. Currently 2lbs heavier than last friday since going onto 1200 which is a pain as the losses arnt coming easy now. :)

I would say there was far more point in you stopping on CD than swopping to any other diet (especially WW, sigh :rolleyes:) - just check out some of the success stories on here and look at the fabulous weight losses!! (And CD has its own maintenance plan.) It's up to you really - do you want a quick and motivational weight loss (if yes, stay here!) or do you want to lose 1-2 lbs. a week and put up with listening to lots of drivel from other demoralised fatties week after week after week?

ACTUAL HAHA! seriously, my WW counsellor used to terrify me. if i ever do it again i won't be going back to her!

Is it normal to gain a bit when you go up a plan?, I did so on both 1000 and 1200. Currently 2lbs heavier than last friday since going onto 1200 which is a pain as the losses arnt coming easy now. :)

You can gain a little bit going up the plans, but it usually settles down again if you stick with it. Sometimes it's tough though as it's so tempting to drop down a plan again. You have to be patient and trust it. Annoying though eh.

See... I want a bit of both :D I want the quick and motivational weight loss like as I said, a 'kick start' (giving myself until 15th june as that weeks it's my daughters 1st birthday, my 26th and my mums 60th so there's going to be treats all round) but after that, to lose 1-2lbs a week will be fine by me so long as it IS still coming off!

I miss food! I love food! And more so than the food I miss wine! :p

The very little social life I had (as much as you can with a 10 month old with no family around to help out) is shot to bits.

When I meet up with friends we meet for lunch, or meet for a drink, we sit in and watch a film with a bottle of wine and a takeaway. At the moment i've had to stop seeing my friends because the one night I actually did go out and see one, watching her and 2 others enjoying a pasta dinner and a couple of glasses of wine while I was sat there with my bottle of water was TORTURE and I soon caved and ended up drinking about a bottle and a half of wine (and eating the leftover pasta to soak it up!!) :sign0007:so to prevent that happening again i've just said i'm going to give seeing people a miss for a while.

So while I really want the quick loss (in time for all the birthdays!) after that I think i'd much rather lose it slower and still be able to have a life, which I just can't see how I would on the CD because even the maintenance plan seems pretty restricted... (you can't 'save up' for a curry night for example).

It might work, it might not, and I might find myself back on CD! But I definately want to give it a try.

xx

Back