what is image therapy?

broxi

ButtErFly
I have heard people talking about, and criticising, image therapy. What is it? I go to a group and I don't know if my group does it. Or if I'm just unaware of it!

All groups should do Image Therapy, it's the SW format. This is commonly referred to as " the going round the group reading out losses and gains and clapping" bit.

Image actually stands for Individual Motivation And Group Experience. It's not just about reading losses etc, its about the group helping individuals by offering support, advice, recipes, tips etc.

I have no idea why anyone would criticise it, but I know some people really don't like it.

oh thanks, didn't know that and can't understand why people don't like that either; maybe gets a bit boring if the group is big.

If people contribute then it should never get boring.

The only time I get fed up if with the limelight grabbers, those who want the attention every week!!!!

I've never found IT very helpful - but you all seem to have such great groups; I've never known anything bar going round and clapping everyone. There was never any tips or discussions. I feel quite left out as all your groups sound fab! Thats why I do it online now. (And I went to a few groups round here!!)

clairex said:
I've never found IT very helpful - but you all seem to have such great groups; I've never known anything bar going round and clapping everyone. There was never any tips or discussions. I feel quite left out as all your groups sound fab! Thats why I do it online now. (And I went to a few groups round here!!)

The consultant should lead it, if someone has had a good week, the consultant might ask that person what they have done, if they've made any changes or tried anything new. If someone is gaining then there may be a discussion around what is going wrong.

It's easy to make mistakes and this is where we learn.

My group at the minute is great best one I've been to everyone is really supportive, we talk about our weeks and share recipes and ideas. It's great only thing the grinds on me slightly is all the clapping lol

The consultant should lead it, if someone has had a good week, the consultant might ask that person what they have done, if they've made any changes or tried anything new. If someone is gaining then there may be a discussion around what is going wrong.

It's easy to make mistakes and this is where we learn.

That sounds great. I feel a bit cheated that I never got this experience! Ah well. :)

Hi Claire, I don't know where you live, but there maybe other better groups near you. There are quite a few to chose from where I live. Maybe another consultant would help you more.
I didn't know it was called image therapy but I do find that part motivating and inspirational at my group.

Feels a bit cheesy at first but I have just made sure that I've joined in and I've been able to give tips that I have got on here. I suppose the groups are only as good as the leaders ability to give everyone their say but probably more importantly the willingness of the members to join in and pass on tips and support. I find that lots of chat tends to go on either in the queue, at the kettle, or when we're all sitting waiting for everyone to finish weighing so that often comes out when we go round the room later.

My group is amazing but fairly large. We start at 7:30pm and with the weighing and IMAGE we don't get out until 9pm. It gets kinda boring but it's really lovely.

I have joined the same group twice - 3 years apart, and although it is the same consultant it is a very different group. There are a couple of lively characters in the group and they have done a facebook page, organised taster evenings (savoury, sweet, snacks) and post get togethers for walks on the facebook page. My consultant and his wife now get involved and promote this too and it has changed it from a fairly boring group to a lively one. Quite often people come in with new free stuff they have discovered.

It has made me enjoy group alot more - if your group isn't hitting the mark maybe you can take a lead and discuss it with your consultant - suggest a tasting evening maybe?

I love I T, and my consultant is so good and interesting. Its never boring and I have been going now since Jan 2011 and am in the social team. WE do raffles,quizzes,games,tasters, and she gives lots of general information besides going round everyone discussing losses etc. :)

I'm on my 3rd group due to a) moving house and then b) not being motivated by the next con. I actually love my currently group it sounds mad, but everyone is really friendly, the con is super motivated and I really feel part of a team. I do the raffle now and get talking to everyone in the queues etc. I find IMAGE therapy really useful, and even if I’ve had a bad week myself I can contribute and benefit from others’ advice. We have a facebook group too, and I’ve taken to posting in there even if it’s been a bad ‘un, because it’s nice to feel like you’re walking every week into a group of supportive friends. Without I.T. that wouldn’t be the case for me

Back