What is realistic?

It depends on a lot of things.

What diet are you doing?? How much do you have to lose for starters

It depends on a lot of things.

What diet are you doing?? How much do you have to lose for starters

Hi Starlight, I am doing Slimming World 4 stone roughly. Everyone else in the class seems to lose more than I do. I don't think I am doing anything wrong, just I know it would really give me a big boost if there was a lost that was a noticeable one. ( I am normally positive just in need of a kick)

Wolfe - even a pound a week is over 3.5 stone in a year. 2 pounds a week is nearly 7.5 stones. You cant force these things - everybody is different.

That is a very good point Saveloy, I didn't think of it like that. You might have just really helped me feel better :D

I have aimed for 1lb a week. I never understand people who think that isn't fast enough - I have been fat all my life, so, 26 years. Why would I then expect to drop the lot (and learn how to keep it off) in 6 months?

I'm sure people think I'm a secret eater since it's taken me 10 months to lose 3st 4lbs and I have another 2st 4lbs to go, but I have consistently lost weight every week and feel confident that it isn't coming back :D.

1 lb of fat is 3500 calories worth which works out at nearly a day and a half of meals or about 6 hours of cardio so losing 1lb a week is a good achievement in perspective. The recommended amount my doctor gave me is 1-3 lb per week and no faster so I'very been aiming thereabouts.

I have aimed for 1lb a week. I never understand people who think that isn't fast enough...

I suppose shows like The Biggest Loser don't help. Although we all know they work out pretty much non-stop we still half look at them thinking if they can drop 10lbs a week why am I only shifting a tenth of that in the same time! I know that's crossed my mind a few times :)

To Wolfe assuming you're not on a VLCD or a mega restrictive diet plan I would think 1-2lbs on average a week is a healthy number.

I would say realistically 2 lb a week is a good loss (and fairly realistic) if its steady, anything more is a bonus. even half a half lb loss the odd week shouldn't be seen as a failure and should not be a reason to be down. neither should even a gain as long as its not a regular occurrence

I am of the opinion that I 1lb a week each week is great, ok really I want more but I have to be realistic and 1lb regular is much better than the on-off that it can become if you aim for too much. Also the more you have to loose the quicker it tends to come off, they burn up more calories just breathing and pumping blood around the body.
The steadier that it comes off then the more likely it is to stay off.
There is a really slow weight loss thread on here, you will find them a great bunch.

1 lb of fat is 3500 calories worth which works out at nearly a day and a half of meals or about 6 hours of cardio so losing 1lb a week is a good achievement in perspective. The recommended amount my doctor gave me is 1-3 lb per week and no faster so I'very been aiming thereabouts.

I never thought about it in this way before - that you have to lose 1 and a half day's worth of food to lose a pound. That means to lose 2 lb you would need to do the equivalent of stopping eating for 3 days, and to lose 4lb you would have to 'stop' for nearly a week. No wonder the body doesn't like it.

Back