What level is ok on SSing?

FatFairNForty(ish)

Gold Member
I joined the gym yesterday and am committed to doing 12 weeks of 2 sessions a week. My question is this.. with it being such a low cal intake, what kind of exercises should I be doing / not doing?

Also - the instructor said I will need to take glucose tablets on the days I exercise... I don't want to as they are just tabs of calories!

I am determined to exercise but more determined to stick to the plan.. any suggestions?

Glucose tablets???:eek: Never been reccommended to me and I've yet to keel over!!! Definitely DO NOT have them!

I'm not a fitness instructor but the advice I was given is to listen to your body and do not push yourself too hard.:)

Whooooa, no glucose tablets on SS, that'll knock you straight out of ketosis.

If you have done two weeks of SS, you're OK to start exercising at a level that is appropriate to you. So no marathon running straight off unless you are used to it.

You can cycle, walk maybe even a slow jog on the treadmill, but listen to your body. If you get tired, stop for a bit.

But no glucose tablets. Glucose tablets will knock you out of ketosis and make you hungry.

I *am* a fitness instructor.

You will be fine, but you have to take it easy. Low intensity cardio combined with resistance exercise is fine. Don't start running or racing on any of the cardio machines, and if you feel at all dodgy, stop. Drink plenty of extra water before, during and after your workout and listen to your body.

He's erring on the side of caution by advising you to take glucose tablets - you may well be fine, but to be honest I also advise CDers to eat if they're going to do much in the way of exercise. If I don't give them that advice, and then they keel over, I haven't done my job properly. Plus, if they're a paying customer and that happens, they could sue.

GOOD FOR YOU FOR JOINING THE GYM, I MAY BE DOING THIS NEXT YEAR.....BUT I HAVE JUST RECEIVED MY COURSE MATERIALS FOR MY OPEN UNIVERSITY ......OMG IT LOOKS SO OVERWHELMING.......GULP

Hi Jennie

I was advised not to exercise too vigorously while I was sole-sourcing by the hospital Doctor.

He said the fact that you are on such a low-calorie intake will do all the work.

It is hard work burning off a piece of buttered toast, as Kate the fitness instructor will know, but as you are on 420 calories or thereabouts, you needn't push yourself too hard.

I have two dogs and a daily walk around the park during the summer for 20/25 minutes kept me healthy and I was losing 2 - 3 lbs a week on average.

I know in Winter time it can be difficult to get out and about, but I would be inclined to have a gentle swim, or use the treadmill for a short walk.

As everyone else says, listen to your body and there really is no need whatsoever to overdo it.

Marylyn xx

Thanks for the input ladies... I won't be taking the glucose tablets.. it was a nightmare getting into ketosis.. there is NO WAY I'm going to do ANYTHING that will mean I have to go through that again... I've been ss'ing for 10 weeks now.

I did as the instructor advised... and I had my soup and half a pack an hour before I went to the gym. He has done my plan which isn't too bad... 12 mins warming up, then 5-8 mins on treadmill, 5 mins on cross trainer, 5-8mins on exercise bike... 500m on rowing machine (but he showed me how to do it properly and take my time..).. 5-8 mins on recumbent bike... and 12 mins stretching/cool down.. he was lovely and I felt better once we had gone through it all as I felt fine but also that I had exercised (know what I mean?).

He is going to take me through the weights and resistance machines when I go back on Jan 2nd.. and I have to admit, those are the things I really want to be doing to tone more than anything else right now...

As I have high BP and am on betablockers I know my heart rate won't be an indicator of my level of effort.. but I know my body well enough to know when I am demanding too much of it... but I really want to tone up and as far as I can, try to avoid the need for surgical procedures to remove excess skin.. my belly is my major worry.. and the tops of my arms... and my right thigh. There is a bit of difficulty with my foot too.. and the fact that my left leg has been compensating for my right for almost 25 years so is stronger yet I can feel the muscles in it more too.. lol

Thanks again.. and as for the eating... I just can't do it!! I understand about the legal requirements and ar$e covering by telling clients on CD to do so.. but it really is an impossibility.. so., for now, I shall stick to having half my daily allowance of CD before I exercise...

I've got an exercise bike here at home so might just dust that off and do the odd 10 minutes a day... we'll see.. lol
Thanks again folks..

Jennie xx

Sounds great to be honest, as long as you're sensible you'll be fine. Exercise and CDSS can mix. There's a new CD Fitness pack out with an exercise DVD which is good.

I don't do any more formal exercise than walking up to 6 miles a day to and from school and nursery with yoga thrown in once a week and I can do that level on SS with no problems. (Well I'm exhausted all the time, but that's kids for you)

I can understand fitness instructors needing to advise to take glucose tablets, but unfortunately it really would mess around with CDSS. If in doubt - and this comes straight from the main CD web site - you can have an extra CD a day to compensate - it won't do the diet any harm and may give you more reserves. Forgot to mention that before. Sorry.

Sorry Jennie, I should have made myself a bit clearer. I'm not saying you should have had the glucose tablets, just that I can see why he suggested them.

When I said I suggest food, I meant in situations such as people coming to me and telling me that they are planning to do things like run five miles every morning in order to speed up their weight loss. My response to this is always the same - if you are exercising enough that it is making a significant difference over and above your losses on Cambridge, then you need to be eating more (also if you are doing something as intense as running). I sympathize with the desire to do it, but unless the person in question is already very very fit, they're likely to cause their bodies damage with that workload on a VLCD.

I only suggest that people eat if they are planning to do a lot of exercise, or very intense exercise, though - what you have described wouldn't be enough for me to be concerned. This is also partly because I probably know more about VLCDs than your trainer does, no disrespect to him but it's just not something we get taught about as part of the standard training. The Personal Training nutritional module is excellent but it does skim over VLCDs, certainly mine did, because it only looks at them in relation to exercise, and of course, they simplify it: very low carb and calorie = advise client to eat more ;)

Anyway, my rambling and roundabout point is this: I knew it would all be fine, I'm so glad you went, and as CD advise, take an extra pack if you need to, but mostly just stick to the plan and congratulate yourself for making such a positive step.

Kx :)

Hi Sonkie

Congratulations on doing an Open University course!

Whatcha doin?

Marylyn

HI I AM DOING "WORKING WITH CHILDREN IN THE EARLY YEARS", IM HOPING (IF I GET ON WITH THIS COURSE) TO DO THE FOLLOW ON COURSE TO GAIN THE CERTIFICATE IN EARLY YEARS PRACTICE AS IM CURRENTLY CHILDMINDING. IF (A BIG IF TOO) I DO WELL WITH THESE I MAY GO ON TO DO A FOUNDATION DEGREE.

Sonia

How are you doing on the Lipotrim?

Are you enjoying the shakes a bit better now?

Marylyn xx[

IM DOING GREAT, WHEN I FIRST STARTED LIPOTRIM I DIDNT EVEN REGISTER ON THE SCALES SO HAD TO GO TO THE GP. WELL WHILST AT DRS YESTERDAY I GOT BACK ON THEM AND IM 3 STONE DOWN NOW SO IM WELL PLEASED.
BUT AS I HAVE ONLY JUST REGISTERED ON CHEMIST (PIDDLY) SCALES, IV ONLY LOST 2 BY THERES. GOT USED TO THE DRINKS, TRIED CHOC ONE HOT YESTERDAY AND.....EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW WONT BE TRYING IT AGAIN....LOL, WILL KEEP IT CHILLED

Thanks Debz & kate...

I did understand you kate, lol... and I think you are probably right about the training on VLCDs.. I do feel quite positive about the exercise.. not done any today mind you.. lol

Thanks again though for all your (everyone's) advice and comments. I'll let you know how it goes! :D

Hi Sonia

:) Brilliant weight loss. Very well done. It must be hard ssing now with it being so cold. I'm going to try to lose my last stone by ss'ing in the Spring.

Studying will be excellent for taking your mind off food. Your course sounds very appealing; I did a Child Psychology course some years ago and enjoyed it.

As you probably know I did Lipotrim for 6 months as part of a hospital study to understand metabolism and steroid in our fatty tissue. I was fortunate to start in June, and being part of the study kept me very motivated.

I lost 15 kg in total and am stabilizing now for a while. I'm just under 11 stone, so it would be great to get down to 10 st. The last stone is always the hardest to lose and if I take a break from ssing it will be much more effective when I start again.

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year.

Marylyn xxx

Hot chocolate Lipotrim has to be tried once, for curiosity if nothing else.

Then it must never be tried again. Putrid!

Back