What made you realise you needed to lose weight?

I bet the ex is sorry now Just For Me!

Sorry you had a nasty doc Kookiedoh but at least some good has come from it if it is motivation for you.

Sugar Fiend I had the injection for years before having kids and for me it was great and I never looked back. I know it is not for everyone but don't be scared of it. It is the same as the mini pill which is better for you than the combined pill. My doctor suggested it because of both my weight and my bad migraines and to be told in my early twenties I was high risk for a stroke kind of encouraged me! Looking back I was only about a stone over weight back then!

I don't know why but I can't bring myself to damage photos! I just want to hide them.

My defining moment for this was being sat in the GP's on new years eve and discovering that my blood pressure was way high (175/103) and that I need to have tests to check my heart and kidneys and to start on medication. My weight had climbed back up to 18 stone. I had the tests and so far all is ok apart from a cholesterol of 6.3 which isn't good. I declined the statins to bring my cholesterol down as I am determined to get it down with healthy eating and exercise. He said he will give me 3 months to make sure the numbers are going in the right direction.
I have always tried to diet before for cosmetic reasons, not likeing the way I looked or the clothes I had to wear. This is the biggy though as so far my heart and kidneys have tested fine but if I don't get this weight off I am at risk of ill health and I am just not letting that happen now.
I asked the doctor would I need the tablets for ever and he said if I went back in the future and had made significant changes to weight, exercise and cholesterol then he may consider giving me a trial of not taking them.
So my new years resolution for my life is to really kick it this time and keep it that way.

Thanks Crazy bit, I hadn't even thought of that possibility, now I will have to watch the shows really carefully and make sure I DON'T yell out if I see my bum!

Sminta09, my hubby is the same, he can eat anything but nothing sticks to him as he works outside and stays slim all the time. He has never commented that I am twice the women he first met but I know it! Sorry it didn't work out but Mr Right will come along when you least expect it.

Angie44 I guess that is pretty good motivation to encourage you to lose and maintain. Good luck you have done it before so you know you can do it.

I am hoping I am well past the six stone mark come May as I am losing about a stone a month..... long may it continue!

Getting on the wii fit and realising what a lard arse i'd become.

I've been making excuses for years. I was always a 'big girl' I was almost brought up to believe it was just the way I was and nothing would change it. Over the last 13 years I've had 5 children and split up with my violent ex partner met someone else, gotten married. I'm in a good place to focus on getting healthy. I decided to eat properly instead of skipping breakfast and lunch and living on frazzles and quavers. I knew I wasn't eating healthily but I didn't think it was something I was in control of. I want to show my kids it is possible to do anything you set your mind too!

SassyJo, great to hear things have turned around for you.
Frazzels and quavers.... what about wotsists, another of my favourites! I could quite happily munch on any of those in the past instead of a proper meal, or sometimes after a meal just because they were in there in the house. I am so pleased with myself now that I am being sensible and I am eating breakfast!

Going into a shop and just being grateful there was something that fitted me just made me eat more.

Meeting old friends and pretending I didn't notice their shocked looks just made me eat more.

Getting out of breath and aching in every joint just made me eat more.

For years I had been in denial about my weight.

My light bulb moment came when I was sitting on my own sofa in my own house.

I tried to cross my legs and couldn't. I ended up trying to use my hands to lift one leg over the other and still couldn't.

How frakking fat are you when you can't even cross your own legs?

I went on a diet the next day and everytime I am tempted to eat something I don't need, I remember that moment.

Hi everyone!

My defining moment was last night. i've known for ages that I've been putting on weight, and I've known for ages that its purely down to me being lazy and full of excuses, that I've done nothing about it...

Last night, I decided to clear out my clothes. A while ago, I'd sorted through my wardrobe, and stored away some of the clothes that I'd told myself were summer clothes, and that's why I hadn't been wearing them.

I thought I would be going through those clothes, and would be giving loads away, assuming I"d put them away because I wasn't bothered about them. BUT, I was really sad because I looked at them and realised how many nice clothes I have that I can't wear, because I'm too damn lazy :cry:

Its not exactly a bolt of lightning moment, but it really did kick my up the bum!!!

I'm really looking forward to getting back to being fit and healthy :)

My defining moment was 10 years ago when I put a lot of weight on for various health/personal reasons and couldn't shift it by cutting down on food. So I went to see the doc about it and after they did all the tests and didn't find anything medically wrong she said: "Well there were no fat people in concentration camps!" :mad::mad::mad: I was absolutely furious! and lost over 4 stone over the next 6 months.

Put some back on with pregnancies so this time round my defining moment was when only one pair of jeans fit me and I got absolutely sick of wearing them! :D

Well at least we all have motivation to lose weight. We just have to keep remembering why we started on our journeys!

Back