What made you think "right it's time to lose weight?"

Guru

Silver Member
Was there a major event or did it just slowly dawn on you that now is the time to do something about it?

I had a moment about five years ago when I hit 20 stone and I realised I was the biggest person I know - and I went to LL (lost three and a half stone, then put it all back on). Then I got married, got comfortable with who I am and it never bothered me *that* much - although there was the odd occasion and there are things that are really annoying about being fat, like the lack of nice clothes and people thinking you are stupid and/or lazy.

But the catalyst for me was not being able to have a baby, and realising that I have had all the treatment I can have at my weight and I MUST do something about it or I'd never have a child. So here I am!

i saw this one picture - in my album (the worst fat picture ever taken) and realised how huge i had become. that was my kick up the (huge) behind!!

Mine was realising I wouldn't be able to fit in the rides at Alton Towers. Seems rather daft now but at the time I was devastated and hugely embarrassed!

I cut my leg and had a 'thing', in front of my son, mother, niece and nephew, which scared the life out of me. Made me think that the next thing could be a stroke, or something equally as awful, and that I ought to get myself healthy. 8 weeks later I started CD :)

about 4 years ago i had my husbands child stay with us and because i refused to have kids laugh at him for having a fat mum lost 5 stones on LL
and got pregnant :break_diet: had a miscarriage as still 2 heavy 2 carry never the less went on to conceive again and miscarried again got very sad and had problems with my sons visa :cry: and got even more sad :17729:and got in bed for a long time - piled all the weight and some on
anyway what 4 years later and 8stone :eek:heavier go to doctor who more or less offers me a gastric band - i think oh shxt am i that heavy as to make the nhs want to spend thousands of pounds on making me look after myself :ashamed0005::ashamed0005::ashamed0005: -volla here i am

for me i lost on put back on through loads of different diets and i was miserable. In feb i had a really stressful time at work and I started comfort eating and my weight started to creep up then things got worse and I was really down due to personal issues and something just snapped in my head and i thought if i carry on i am going to end up the heaviest i have ever been. so I rang my local CDC and started the diet I thought if I can do this diet while having to go through all this stress than I will have no problems maintaining when i get to goal. For the first time I am not dieting for an occasion or a holiday i am just doing it because enough is enough I am unhappy being over weight and every week since starting this diet i am feeling happier and showing myself I can deal with stress and heartache with out turning to food.

Like Kerryberry, I'm a stress eater
Last time I did Cambridge (nearly three years ago) I was within a stone of target when my weight loss suddenly stopped
I had just changed pills on the advice of my GP and it turned out I had suffered an ectopic pregnancy and I ended up in hospital, but didn't realise about the pregnancy as my periods had stopped on CD
Next thing I knew I was in hospital and being operated on
I managed to maintain close to this weight for six months but then my daughter, who was 12 at the time, was diagnosed with a neurological condition and I spent the couple of years sat around hospitals, living in hospitals etc so hardly ate a balanced diet - just grabbed what I could on the go
The last three years have been hard, we had over a year when my daughter couldn't walk or get around without help and I was still having to work full time too - hence a gradual stress induced rise in my weight back to where I was before I started Cambridge last time - Although I suppose it could have been a lot worse !!!
My daughter is now walking again and still struggles to do a lot of things but her attitude is so positive that it put me to shame and made me realise just how precious my health is
My daughter had also gained weight due to inactivity and medication and wanted to try and lose weight as she became more active so I decided it would be something we could do together - me on Cambridge and her on a weightwatchers type plan given her age
In the last 11 weeks we have both lost around half of the weight we need to lose
I have already bought vouchers for a mum and daughter photo shoot for later in the year once we both hit target and can't wait to see the end results
Good luck to everyone else on the diet - you are all such an inspiration
Andrea x

Looking in the mirror and not recognising who I saw any more. I was already overweight but wasn't that big but then I had assignments and exams and was sitting on my backside studying and picking at food throughout the day to get me through. Then in the middle of my exams my eldest son had a breakdown (in the middle of his exams too. I had to get him to a doctor and also meet with his lecturers. Then only a week later my daughter and her friend got assaulted while out. Something had to give during that time and it was my weight. By the time everything was sorted with my exams, son's university and the police I hated what I saw in the mirror. I then read a magazine about LL and felt positive. However that was short lived when I realised the cost. Researching it I found CD and I contacted my now CDC straight away. I am so glad I did.

Having to go for a CT scan with a suspected brain tumour (it wasn't thankfully!) and being told that my weight was causing the problems.

I know that CD works and is the best way for me to get to a healthy weight and live a healthy lifestyle as soon as possible so that I can enjoy each day.

I started a few years ago because we needed help having children and they said I needed to loose weight to qualify, I tried various bits and bats of SW and WW and lost some.
Now I'm doing CD because we're taking our daughter on holiday abroad for the first time ever, and I don't want to be the 'fat mummy' and I want to be healthy and active so that she is too .... me cutting down on 'bad' food means my husband gets slimmer too, as I don't buy snacks or takeaways so he doesn't get them by default.

I felt fatter than I ever had - nothing fitted and I just felt bleurgh! Added to that when I got out of bed in the mornings I felt stiff and heavy and old (I'm only 46) and thought if this is how I feel now what will I be like in 10 years? I feel much better now, aches, pains and stiffness all gone thanks to CD!

My man and I got engaged (two months ago) and went on holiday to celebrate, only when I looked at the pics after coming back from holiday, it wasn't me that I saw, it was some red faced, huge armed, blobby person standing next to my man!, I even went so far as to say 'that's not me' and I truly believed it.... - I was so ashamed and determined to do something about my weight after that.

Awww, Sam, I'm gutted for you..:(

Men are sometimes so clumsy in what they say.... I hope that you are happier now.

Well, my best friend and I have always been 'partners in crime' and we were both really overweight! her Doc had offered her Weight loss surgery... and we were both really really unhappy with our lot.
I was working with midwives at the time and went to visit one in Reading... We went to a restaurant for lunch, only she didn't eat ANYTHING... and said that she was doing something called 'lighterlife' and she'd pledged to live on these meal replacements for a 100 days and in return they'd promised a minimum weight loss of 3 stones!... She was on day 21 at the time... Well I went away thinking, 'that's mad!' and when I saw her again 3 months later she was 4 and half stones lighter and looked fabulous!
I looked up what LL was and the price and then searched the web for a less expensive option... although my friend chose LL I did CD we felt that being in a group together wouldn't do us any good! :

I dont blame him really, I look like a completely different person to the one he married 5 years ago. Before I used to really look after myself, wear lovely clothes, makeup, etc. Since I put on weight after the kids I've become invisible. I hate going out bcos I dont want people to see me......but atleast I'm doing something about it now :) Feeling really hopeful that I'll be back to my old self soon (thanks to all the encouragement on here)

For me it was my line manager she wrote something really horrible and I think libellous about me in a referral to occupation health. Made me see red and see myself as I am.(was)
I also kept seeing my mum in the mirror whenever I looked. But mum as she was just before she died, at 73 I'm not 53 yet!! That made me determined to prove my line manager wrong and suddenly remebered what my dad had said over and over again, just show them you can do it and they are wrong about you.

In first started dieting (calorie counting) after my Dad died - I'd put on loads of weight from my 'normal' weight of 17.5 stone to 21st9. I lost 2.5 stone then stalled. Then we saw a fertility consultant who said he'd wouldn't treat me until my BMI was 35. He mentioned CD (I'd never heard of it) and so I went on that and lost another 4 stone. I've now lost more on south beach and am off to see the consultant next week.

Then I'll carry on for me.

I used to dance, I was probably the healthiest / fittest person you'd ever meet, then after an injury I had to change profession - boredom and a total lifestyle change meant that I didn't care any more - if I wasn't using my body then why did I have to look after it?

I saw a picture from a night out from my birthday, and I was so shocked, my face looked huge and unhealthy and the dress I used to fit in to looked hurrendous. I battled with keeping motivation for a few months, then finally decided enough is enough, and I'm so glad I can say I'm sticking with it this time!

Simply put, I want a baby :)

for me.....

My dad and his brother both died within a year of each other, heart attack and stroke! They were 56 & 46!!! I didnt want to end up going down that road with 2 little girls who needed me to be there for a long time.

Plus, i want my daughters to be proud to have me run at their parents sports days!! LOL

anni
xxxx

Back