What Made You Want To Lose Weight?

I lost 22lbs for health reasons last year then put a stone back on at Christmas, I'm continuing to try to get to a healthier weight but this also spurred on by the fact that I'm getting married in December (got engaged on Xmas day... All that celebrating really showed up on the scales!) and those important photos! x

Some of the stories here are very inspirational :) I've always read this forum for advice and opinions but i'm very determined this time to lose the weight, so decided to join for inspiration. I was 8 stone and a size 6 about five years ago. I was assaulted one night by a stranger, and this started the spiralling of my weight! I put on weight gradually up until I was 14 stone, and a size 18. I have a goal by next May to run the marathon so I'm really gonna stick to losing weight this time. I would love to be about 9.5 stone which I believe is a healthy weight for me :)

Some of the stories here are very inspirational :) I've always read this forum for advice and opinions but i'm very determined this time to lose the weight, so decided to join for inspiration. I was 8 stone and a size 6 about five years ago. I was assaulted one night by a stranger, and this started the spiralling of my weight! I put on weight gradually up until I was 14 stone, and a size 18. I have a goal by next May to run the marathon so I'm really gonna stick to losing weight this time. I would love to be about 9.5 stone which I believe is a healthy weight for me :)

I'm sorry to hear about your awful experience Junkfoodfiend. I was discussing in another thread how bad experiences in our past can really affect our eating habits. Congratulations on losing 20lbs so far though and being so determined. I'm sure you'll reach your goal!

I didn't really care that much about my weight until about a year ago when my brother announced that he was going to be needing a kidney soon. I was at that point, too fat to be able to donate and that was the kick up the arse I needed. A year on now, I've lost over 3 stone. This will come in handy because in the meantime, another brother has tried unsuccessfully to donate one of his kidneys so now I'm a safe weight to go through the op, I'm starting tests for compatibility on Monday.

alafolie said:
I moved to another country and lost 3 stones without trying, simply due to the change in lifestyle. After a month of being back in the UK I have put on half a stone and been forced to take a proper look at my eating habits. I have now decided to use everything I learnt whilst I was away and have promised myself I will never be fat again.

Where did you go & how was it different? Sounds interesting.

Thought i would share my reasons:

I have never been happy about my weight and appearance. But never had the inner strength to actually stick to healthy eating. I have a few health issues that i needed to consider changing my eating habits.

The crunch came in april when i went to mexico in april. After waiting a year and a half of saving hard for the holiday, my hubby spent two weeks looking at anything that had a pulse. Despite me getting annoyed with him, it still carried on. I came home feeling really negative about myself and determined to lose the weight , not for him but for myself. Cant wait till i receive goal weight and can wear a bikini on holiday. So when he decides to behave like that again, i will be wearing tighter fitting clothes and feel good about myself. Have told him if he behaves like that when we go to turkey september, the only time he will see me will be at bed time and on the plane home lol. Set my first goal to lose two stone before the holiday, now only 10lbs off of reaching that goal.

sue70 said:
Thought i would share my reasons:

I have never been happy about my weight and appearance. But never had the inner strength to actually stick to healthy eating. I have a few health issues that i needed to consider changing my eating habits.

The crunch came in april when i went to mexico in april. After waiting a year and a half of saving hard for the holiday, my hubby spent two weeks looking at anything that had a pulse. Despite me getting annoyed with him, it still carried on. I came home feeling really negative about myself and determined to lose the weight , not for him but for myself. Cant wait till i receive goal weight and can wear a bikini on holiday. So when he decides to behave like that again, i will be wearing tighter fitting clothes and feel good about myself. Have told him if he behaves like that when we go to turkey september, the only time he will see me will be at bed time and on the plane home lol. Set my first goal to lose two stone before the holiday, now only 10lbs off of reaching that goal.

Sue70 that's sounds horrible :( I'm always worried about my boyfriend fancying other women more than me as he's such a sports buff & I'm more of Ben&Jerry's buff so clearly I don't have the body he prefers. But to see your husband look at other women must have been hurtful :(

Ha, well you're almost 2 stone down so when you're next on the beach it will be all eyes on you :) xxx

Have to admit, i did get the hump big time. Always told him if he wanted someone smaller he should never have dated me lol. Think he has got the message now as i did go on about it for ages after the holiday. Told him he will be very silly if he does it again as he will see a side of me he hasnt seen yet. Where are you from, i am in essex xx

What made me want to lose weight is watching the TV programme "The Men Who Made Us Fat" and realising that I've been poisoned by giant food corporations for the sake of their profits. Followed by subsequent research, and I'm now doing LipoTrim to go 'cold turkey' on the processed food.

I was really in size 20 clothes and refusing to admit it, squezing into 18s and feeling miserable. One day in January, I woke up and thought "I've had enough now, gotta get it off" and so I started Weight Watchers Pro Points and never looked back:) Think you really have to be in the right place in your head before you make any life changes like losing weight, you have to really want to do something about it:(

I was really in size 20 clothes and refusing to admit it, squezing into 18s and feeling miserable. One day in January, I woke up and thought "I've had enough now, gotta get it off" and so I started Weight Watchers Pro Points and never looked back:) Think you really have to be in the right place in your head before you make any life changes like losing weight, you have to really want to do something about it:(

Agreed. It's something that you have to want to work for and do for the right reasons. Definitely something you have to do for yourself

I was just feeling fat all the time and hated the way I looked in family photos and then when I found I'd gone up to 16 and a half stone I just thought, how much longer can it go on? How much will I have to weigh before I do something about it?

Annanana said:
I was just feeling fat all the time and hated the way I looked in family photos and then when I found I'd gone up to 16 and a half stone I just thought, how much longer can it go on? How much will I have to weigh before I do something about it?

Completely agree with this. I got to around the same weight and thought when am I ever going to think enough is enough

I'm 17 but I've met the love of my life, and have been with him for almost 2 years. I think I let myself go quite a bit, as I don't feel I need to impress him because I know he loves me for me. I saw myself in a picture and thought "right, that's it." and decided to lose weight. I used to sit in my room and cry because all I wanted was to be able to look better in my clothes. I'm not obese, and I do have curves, but I dream of being more confident. I appear happy all the time and bubbly to other people but inside I just want to lose weight!
I'm on my 3rd week and have lost 7 1/2 lbs so far :) I've not truly smiled this much in a while!
Good luck everyone xxxx

Well i'm 29 and I have never been truly happy with my appearance, always been a big lad, getting sick of people saying "oh you would make an excellent pub/club bouncer" well hello- no I don't wanna be anything like that at all.

I have ribs I am positive, just I have never seen them lol. Just want to be able to keep up with my son, he's 4 and so active and I find It so difficult to stay with him, when he's running about and that. Plus I want to wear the clothes I have always wanted to- I am a bit of a shop a holic and would love to wear what I want, not what I am left to chose from.

I have not weighed myself...don't really want to. Im 6ft 2 inches and probably just over 20 stone. So I am sure I am not a lost cause. Wanna tone up, lose the flab around my face and nexk and around my waist. I have taken the step to join a gym and my first session is gonna be tomorrow after work, in the evening. I am excited, now I need to do it and stick to it... easier said I guess.

David1983 said:
Well i'm 29 and I have never been truly happy with my appearance, always been a big lad, getting sick of people saying "oh you would make an excellent pub/club bouncer" well hello- no I don't wanna be anything like that at all.

I have ribs I am positive, just I have never seen them lol. Just want to be able to keep up with my son, he's 4 and so active and I find It so difficult to stay with him, when he's running about and that. Plus I want to wear the clothes I have always wanted to- I am a bit of a shop a holic and would love to wear what I want, not what I am left to chose from.

I have not weighed myself...don't really want to. Im 6ft 2 inches and probably just over 20 stone. So I am sure I am not a lost cause. Wanna tone up, lose the flab around my face and nexk and around my waist. I have taken the step to join a gym and my first session is gonna be tomorrow after work, in the evening. I am excited, now I need to do it and stick to it... easier said I guess.

That's really good you joined a gym. Are you following an eating plan at the moment?

Being 20 years old, the weight issue has restricted me from doing things I would have loved to do - go out at weekends, be confident etc.
I feel I've lost out on enough, so the weight has to go! - not just because it really has to, but so I can finally feel good about myself, and not feel like everybody looks at me and goes "look at that fat disgrace"

Really hope I can succeed, and I think with the help and motivation from you guys too, I can finally get where I want to be :)

Clothes, health

Back