What size!?

Seph

I'm getting married in October and just started Lipotrim this week. I've come to the sudden realisation that I have no idea what size dress to order! :cry:
I've checked online and I should be a size 12 judging from other people my size and height and it sounds about right (currently a size 16 and going to drop 25kg) but I'm panicking about if I should order that size or maybe a 14 (which was tight when I tried it on but did do up)? The problem is I don't want to pay for a load of alterations if it turns out it is too big but then I don't want to get to my big day and find my dress does fit!
Help me ladies! What did you do for your sizing? Do I go for my goal size and use it as motivation or go for the safe route just in case? :confused:

First of all speak to the people in the shop you paln to buy from. Different designers use different size guides so it won't necessarily be standard British sizing. Most dresses can be altered up one size and altered down several sizes so depending on how certain you are of getting to size xx you should order the size with that in mind.

Thanks for the reply ^^ I'll definitely be asking the store for advice when I go there! My dress has fairly standard sizing luckily so if I get down to a 12 then their 12 will fit me. Was really surprised at the size differences of some of the other dresses I tried though!
I'm trying to avoid alterations if at all possible as I don't want to pay any extra for the dress so it's currently not an option unfortunately. ><

Alteration are necessary to ensure the dress fits properly. There is no such thing as a standard body size/shape so everyone is different and the dresses are made to be altered to fit the wearer. The alterations shouldn't cost much anyway. You don't want it to be too tight in some areas and too loose in others or it will look wrong

It actually fit completely perfectly when I tried the 16 so hopefully that won't change for the 12. It's a corset back so it has quit a bit of adjustment already. I'll ask about the cost of alterations though if it's not going to be a lot.
Do you have any idea of the kind of alterations they normally do if it needs changing and how much yours cost if you had any done?
If they want to charge a shed load for just taking it in at the seams a little then I definitely won't have them do it. X3

Last edited:
It very much depends on the shop really. The one I usually use charges £15 an hour for alterations and the better the fit the less that has to be done. The alterations done depend on your shape and size. Don't forget that your body will change shape when you lose weight. Sometimes it's just taking in a little at the bust, the length has to be right too so it's not too short or you're not tripping over it. It's not really that expensive!

I've just noticed you are in Bristol! Where abouts are you? Where are you getting the dress from?

That's a lot cheaper that what I thought! For me I imagine it's just going to be taking it in at the waist mostly so that's not a big job thankfully. >< I'm going for one in Just For You Bridal in town next to Fabric Land. It's pretty much down to road from where I live so it's so tempting to just nip in and see all the dresses! X3 Where did you go for yours?
Trying to decide on a venue for the reception is insane though! We're going for the registry office opposite St Nicks market but I can't think of any near by places expect hotels.

That's a lot cheaper that what I thought! For me I imagine it's just going to be taking it in at the waist mostly so that's not a big job thankfully. >< I'm going for one in Just For You Bridal in town next to Fabric Land. It's pretty much down to road from where I live so it's so tempting to just nip in and see all the dresses! X3 Where did you go for yours?
Trying to decide on a venue for the reception is insane though! We're going for the registry office opposite St Nicks market but I can't think of any near by places expect hotels.
I really wish you hadn't said that :( when you have made 50 posts I will be able to PM you. I'm a wedding/party planner and I can give you some tips! What is your budget for a dress?

Ah that'd be absolutely fantastic if you could!
Is JFY not very good? At the moment it's £800 as that's the price of the dress I've picked out (Maggie Sottero's Zoe) but anything lower than that is always good!
I'll go and get those extra posts now. :3

Edit: Yay 50 posts at last!

Last edited:
I would dread buying a smaller dress for the wedding and finding it did not fit - you would certainly waste a lot of money. I would get a bigger dress and pay for the alterations!

I bought a dress that was too small and when it came in, 16 weeks before the wedding, it was waaaaaaay to small - the back of the corset didn't lace up by 5 inches! It wasn't helped by the fact that the sample in the shop had stretched and, instead of ordering the 14 she had told me (which is real size 12) she'd ordered a size 12 for me! This meant I had to get from a size 16 to a size 10 in less than 4 months and it isn't something I'd recommend purely from a stress point of view!! Maggies can very easily be taken in, I know of someone who bought a size 22 dress and had it altered down to fit her as a size 14 but that's quite drastic, more commonly dresses can easily be taken in up to 3 dress sizes. You say the 16 fits comfortably now, why not order a 14 and then you can have it taken down to the 12 if needsbe?

Back