What stopped ya?!

rainbow

Gold Member
Was just wondering what stopped me ever trying lose weight before I reached 18 stone? I know what was the turning point for me deciding to do it, but wonder why I never reached that point before? What are other peoples experiences? what stopped you losing weight before? or what stopped you from succeeding before if you have tried? and then theirs those who fall in to the category of having lost and gained it again, its a mine field of wonderment here......... xxx

What stopped me losing weight before?

I think it was a mixture of denying that I was overweight... and feeling a bit scared of losing weight... and also the fact that I luuurve chocolate. LOL.

The turning point was discovering Slimming World (my sister told me about it) and realising that you can lose weight and still eat chocolate, and still feel FULL! :)

see I could never deny I was over weight - I weighed 18 stone!!!! But now you say it I think it was feeling scared that stopped me, scared off failing if Im honest x

definately denial for me. i kept telling everyone oh im happy as i am so why struggle to change it. even at 26 stone before i joined sw i couldnt see that i was fat i was just 'big' to me. now ive lost 3 stone im thinking the same as you whats took me this long to realise i need to lose weight.

thats interesting Mindy, so did you talk about your weight pre SW? Id never mentioned how unhappy I was bout my weight to anyone, I just pretended it wasn't an issue I suppose x

same here i never had a problem with bein over weight.........till i saw myself on a photo and it hit home how large i had become....then when i thought come on girl get a grip and i joined slimming world in march............and i never looked back.....size 18 is so much easy to get nice clothes in.............than a 24......

Great post.

For me i put on weight after my kids, however even though my clothes sizes kept going up, i didn't see my self as 'fat', in my head i was ok. So after my daughter was born in feb i had to buy everything in size 20. They all started getting too tight and i had to buy a pair of 22 jeans. I decided that i couldn't afford to keep buying new clothes so I took a good long look at myself in the mirror one day and thought i had to do something, my skin was all pale and dry on my face, plus i was having terrible pains in my feet and ankles and could hardly walk if i got up off the couch. I was suffering terrible migranes. That is when i thought i need to get back to sw now and get this weight off. I dug out all my old clothes from 2 years ago and it was all size 14's this gave me the motivation to join class. I was a bit depressed and was comfort eating and that is why i gained weight so quickly.

Denial for me. I never really thought that I was that big. I just wish that I had stuck to my diet when I got down to 15 stone. Before I knew it, I was 20 stone. I think no longer being able to buy clothes in any shop was also a big one for me too.

Yer defo easier buying 18s than the 22/24s I was buying before. Like Betty I kept buying clothes in the next size up, although it wasnt the money that stopped me, it was the pure disgust of having to buy such big clothes. I was ashamed to have to buy in certain shops and only ever going shopping with my mum cos I didnt want my friends to see me raking through the inspire range! x

Yeah there is so much more choice to even buy an 18, i can't wait to get back to an 18, at least i will have a few more shops to choose from. I've been keeping evans in business!!

But whenever I went to Evans and bought anything, I'd hide the carrier bag inside another carrier bag in the shop so no one saw I'd been the the big girls shop! Also, if I picked anything up in other shops, I'd put my hand over the size thingy on the coat hanger until I got to the till so no one knew what size I was getting - like they couldn't see by looking at me that I wasn't a 12!!!! The things we do......

Well... firstly let me say I'm so ashamed of myself, but I'm working to put it right, so that's ok.

about 11 years ago I lost 9 stone with SW in just over 11 months. Of course, I looked so different and my friends started to say I was getting too skinny.. etc etc. Compared to 21 and a half stone I was skinny, but compared to skinny people, I wasn't. I started to listen to them after a while.. all the.. you're looking a bit gaunt, your face is too thin.. blah blah blah.... and stopped watching what I was eating. Here I am 10 years later with an awful lot to lose again.. I can't believe I ignored it for so long! another one with denial. It didn't help because people always said 'but you're so bubbly', you always dress so nice, your hair and make up is always done.. well yes it was because I had to do something to cover up the fat blob underneath!

I think for me it was a case of 'Dawn French Syndrome'. That's the way people liked me and wanted me to stay. As soon as I started losing weight, they saw me differently. Obviously, I liked people to like me.

Now it's got to the point where I am not happy with myself, I don't like me so I'm doing something about it. I'm not going to listen to all the 'you're too skinny, look old, face too thin comments anymore. I want to be me now. And the real me is a nice confident, slim person.

(off my soapbox now LOL)

Good for you. The 'looking old', 'face getting wrinkly' and 'too skinny' brigade are trying to sabatage you. Take no notice - you will know when you are at the right weight for you.

i have an issue with food from the age of 14 and have learnt to overeat from my dad. my mum has a normal appetite but dad's always been a big eater. we were fed healthily but i always noticed how big my parents portions were. they also never bought fancy foods, so as soon as i earnt my own money i spent loads on food and ate it in my room, when i should have been at college! - i then became a binge eater - the weight went on very quickly. i then gained weight on anti-depressents...putting on an extra 4 stone!

i eat when i'm sad, for comfort, but i also eat when i'm happy, to celebrate!

i've tried and failed SOOOOOO many times since the age on 19 and keep getting bigger and bigger! i have a problem with food, but i also LOVE food and get alot of pleasure from it....so basically i'm screwed. lol

...i just hope that this time i can do it!

my friends started to say I was getting too skinny.. etc etc. Compared to 21 and a half stone I was skinny, but compared to skinny people, I wasn't. I started to listen to them after a while.. all the.. you're looking a bit gaunt, your face is too thin.. blah blah blah.... )

Yes that annoyed me too, people previously said that to me when i lost weight with slimming world before. 'oh don't lose any more weight, your face is too thin, i liked you better before'. What about the fact we want to be a healthy weight for our height and perhaps would love a skinny face lol!!

fear, thats what stopped me dieting and made me stop even when i had lost 5 and a half stone. i was afraid that if i dieted or if i was doing well and it got hard i would resort to my bad habits. once i lost a whole stone in 5 days to fit into a size 32 jeans, got dizzy and weak and almost passed out from the amout of exercise and lack of food. every time i have dieted in the past i have lost faith in myself and ended up making myself sick after bingeing or starving myself combines with obsessive exercise. i stayed fat so that i would be in a way healthier, but it has to stop now, i was getting stupid little pains in my side/stomach that may have been the beginnings of a hernia. since dieting these have stopped and i know to be healthy i need to diet properly, lose the weight safely and learn new good habits for life, not cheat.

i think with me it was pure denial that i was 100% ok the way i was, i was passing medicals my blood pressure n everything was fine i was in tip top condition healthwise despite being overweight and over 20st but it'dve caught up with me at some point in the future so it was deffo denial.
As for why I decided i needed to lose weght I can honestly say had i not met Mr G i wouldve probably never started dieting it was realising that i wanted kids and to do that i need to be thinner so i can keep up with them and put less stress on my body oh and I want an absolutley gorgeous wedding dress when we get round to it, the thinner i am the more choice I will have i guess plus itll be easier to keep in budget as I wont have to track down one and pay whatever it costs cos its the only one that fits!

Yes that annoyed me too, people previously said that to me when i lost weight with slimming world before. 'oh don't lose any more weight, your face is too thin, i liked you better before'. What about the fact we want to be a healthy weight for our height and perhaps would love a skinny face lol!!

This is what i am getting now, especially from my mum, and it's getting rather annoying, i want to lose 13 more lb, to get to 9st7, which would bring my BMI to 23.6 and hopefully a comfortable size 12, currently I an still class as overweight in my BMI.

But with me I was kinda in denial, after having my son, and very fed up, which made me eat more. I never thought i would be able to lose the weight, after trying half heartedly a couple of times. The turning point for me, was not buying the size 18's, but when i went to hospoital to donate my eggs to a freind who was having difficluty conceiving. They told me I was classed as obese(BMI), and very close to not being able to have the prodecure done to give my eggs. I went home and within a week, joined SW on my sisters advice, she had been with them a while.... by the time i donated the eggs i was a stone lighter (BMI overweight). Now she is expecting twins:D, 20 weeks gone and I am 2st 11lb lighter and feeling so much happier and better ab:)ut myself, wondering why I put it off for so long.....:rolleyes:

But whenever I went to Evans and bought anything, I'd hide the carrier bag inside another carrier bag in the shop so no one saw I'd been the the big girls shop! Also, if I picked anything up in other shops, I'd put my hand over the size thingy on the coat hanger until I got to the till so no one knew what size I was getting - like they couldn't see by looking at me that I wasn't a 12!!!! The things we do......
#

melanie Ive previously used both of those tricks! x

i eat when i'm sad, for comfort, but i also eat when i'm happy, to celebrate!

same same! xxx

Melanie said:

I did similar things when shopping during my Uni years. I'd go to the till, with bags of buttons, mint humbugs, digestive biscuits and 1 small bag of lettuce. As though the Lettuce made me look smaller, or made it look as though I actually ate heathily! :doh:

I guess guys and gals do the same things in some cases eh? :eek:

For me, I think it is all about state of mind.
For the first time in my whole life (all 23 years of it, whoop!) I actually feel I can be "adult" enough to take accountability for my own well being. Sounds daft saying it, and feels daft writing it, but when it comes to personal responsability, I have firmly spend my first 22 years as a 13 year old.

Throughout my childhood, I was always big.
At 4 months old, I was drinking so much milk the doctors told my mum to give me real food! Even before I had any concept of self-image, what it meant to be fat or thin etc. I was overweight.
Going to school aged 6 in age 11 shirts just didn't register at the time; after all, what 6 year old cares about weight and image? (well, maybe these days, but not when I were a lad, oh no! lol)

It also didn't help that everyone in my family is big (and I dont just mean fat. We are all tall, broad shoulders, all played rugby with great success, all are naturally very strong and so on) and so I was not the "odd one out" in my family. So again, that was just how I was. A big boy from a big family.

Even going through University, turning 20 and getting a fulltime job, it still didn't really register that I was doing myself harm by being 20 stone. The last time I was a healthy weight as an adult, I was 16stone, and looking back at some pictures from a holiday, on my frame I actually looked a little drawn, like I need a meal or two! I'm never going to have a healthy weight of 12 or 13 stone - I'd look like butter scraped over too much bread. Even my doctor told me when filling out my medical form, that a healthy weight for me would probably not register a "healthy" BMI for a 6-foot bloke.

So, anyway, when I hit 18 years old and 18 stone, it didn't "feel" like I was massivly overweight. Just a little chubbier than I was, which I put down to "university/student life" :rolleyes:

Now, turning 23, being well on the way to be 21 stone, and finally having to admit that even my XXXL sweatshirt is tight around the stomach, it finally hit home.

It's so strange as well. For the first time in my life, I'm looking in the mirror and seeing myself for what I really am, and not just a "big boy" like I was always told through my youth.

To sum up, I guess you could call it a late-breaking "coming of age" realisation, for want of a better phrase!

*phew!*
essay over. Time to go choose my packs for breakfast and lunch for my very first day tomorrow. I can't wait! :D

Pete

Back