Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

What to cook with a marrow?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by lucylupin, 4 August 2009 Social URL.

1. lucylupin

lucylupin Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(24.6%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I have been given a marrow and dont know what to do with it,i dont even know if i like it ;)
    Any ideas?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Sulleyp

Sulleyp The Minis Bad Boy

Start Weight:
    26st1lb
    Current Weight:
    26st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    17st2lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    A bone!!!

4. MissShiraz

MissShiraz Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I usually slice it and hollow out a little of the middle, roast it and pop chilli in it ...yummy

5. lucysmommy

lucysmommy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    15st5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slim and save
    ooh let me know how it tastes, not something i have tried before

x

6. KatyKaty

KatyKaty Mission:Lose fat-Get fit!

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.23%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    How bizarre - I cooked morrow last night - then just had the leftovers for lunch - it was scrummy.

I halved my marrow and cooked it for 20 mins cut side down in the oven, just to soften it slightly. Then scooped out the seeds and stuffed it with a bolognaise type sauce made using lean mince, onions, mushroom, pepper, a couple of beef oxo cubes, garlic, mixed spice & mixed herb. Then bunged it in the oven at gas mark 5/6 covered with foil for about 40-45 mins (or until the marrow is nicely soft). If i had any Healthy Extras left I would've put some grated cheese on top for the last 5 mins.

Served it with SW chips last night for Extra Easy then todays lunch I had it re-heated with a side salad.

Hope that helps with ideas?

x

7. StaceyUK

StaceyUK Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st1.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    That sounds yummy Katy. I'd like to try marrow as i've never cooked it before. Stupid question - once cooked, can you eat the outer skin? I presume it's like courgette in that it's ok to eat?

8. kevandju5

kevandju5 Maintaining

Start Weight:
    9st9lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(9.63%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I too have just come home from our local farm shop with a whopping great marrow. Having never cooked one before, I shall be watching this thread. I like Katy's bolognaise idea.

Miss Shiraz, is that fresh chillies, chilli powder or do you mean chilli con carne? I really am quite clueless about this whole marrow thang!!

xx

9. nic_noc1

nic_noc1 Full Member

How weird is this, because out of the blue a marrow appeared on our kitchen table this weekend... and there is has stayed coz nobody has a clue what to do with it! They are obviously in season, coz they seem to be popping up everywhere! I'll be watch too to see what other people suggest, but I like the chilli and bolognaise ideas too...

10. SLACK ALICE

SLACK ALICE Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st13lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st4lb(21.51%)
    Diet:
    SLIMMING WORLD
    you shouldnt eat the skin !
    In the past i have scooped the seeds out and filled it with sausage meat and roasted it.
    But nowadays I just peel, scoop and slice it and then steam it, I really love it. the only downside to it ,is you cook it for too long it does go watery -so be careful

11. KatyKaty

KatyKaty Mission:Lose fat-Get fit!

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.23%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Oooh Slack Alice, why shouldn't you eat the skin?

I always do - especcially when it's been roasted in the oven -it's lush. And where all the goodness is. As far as I'm aware all members of the squash family have edible skin.

x

12. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    A marrow is what happens when you grow courgettes and forget them for a weekend!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.