What Was 'The Thing'?

Lindam

Silver Member
Hi
I am sure we all have had 'that moment'/ that particular 'thing' that made us start on this journey to lose weight - perhaps sometimes we need to revisit that time to remind us of why we started:

Mine was when I my husband said 'mummys not fat is she' and my daughter hesitated before answering 'of course not' - I knew in that fraction of a second that someone other than me thought I was overweight!

:psiholog:

Aww bless kids :)

Mine was looking in the mirror with disgust and thinking no I really have to do something about this once and for all

Breaking a chair and being refused the contraceptive pill due to my weight.

Reading an article by Anton du Beke saying he hated fat people and first of all getting cross and then realising that the answer was in my own hands so I have to thank him for making me face up to the fact that I was seriously over-weight and doing something about it.:D

Um for me its getting embarrassed esp in summer time cause all your wobbly bits are on show bingo wings etc, But there is one photo i have got and i look huge! funny though because i thought i looked the bee's knee's that nite!!! grrr

Ruthy xxxx

mine was a weekend - friday night i went out clubbing, first time in like a year and the photos of that night scared me, especially in one where i look really fat and my mum said to me i should show people that photo as thats the best one she has seen of me for ages...i looked terrible :(
And on the saturday i went to peter pans playground for a mates (24th!!!) birthday, and i nearly got stuck on one ride and then on another it took ages for them to start the ride as "someone" was too big. me! argh so embarrassing!
Thanks for reminding me why i started this plan, this week iv been so bad and its weigh in tomorrow and im dreading it as im sure iv gained!!
xxxxx

Two things... 1 was my last place of work (HCA) moving and handling training and I was the person used to show how to move a very fat person using a hoist and sling...very embarrassed throughout and I left that job cos I didnt like it...2nd was when last day summer holls last year, took kids to the Forbidden Corner at Leyburn...too hot and too busy...I got stuck in a four-way gate made of 6 foot black iron railings...sooo embarrassed as a crowd had gathered to get thru... I started crying as I was wedged in. Never felt so frightened. Luckily, a very brave woman (unafraid to get done for assault!) grabbed my wrist and pulled me so hard that I barged thru to freedom!!! I was ever so grateful to her and went to find a quiet corner (impossible that day) and I just cried...Got a pic of my daughter in my gallery at the gates.

mine was 2 things that happened on the same day. we met some friends in wales and weh to a theme park. we went on one of those peddle boats and they had to shout for me to move over coz the boat was gonna tip. i was soooooo embaressed i nearly cried. then on the same day i had my pic done with our friends daughter and i look shocking. my chin is huuuuuuuuge and i look a right state. thats so gonna be my before pic. lol

mine was all my clothes getting tight and looking at photos thinking 'jesus this time last year i was a stone lighter and felt great'. also moving out of my mams house and therefore feeling like i had greater control of my food and weight

In past attempts to lose weight, i had little encouragement from my last GP. He and his wife ran the practice, so when he wasn't there, she would take his patients.

When i went to talk to her about my weight and asked for some help, she gave me a very sarcastic smile, looked me up and down and told me "There is nothing more the nurses and i can do for you, the only thing i can suggest, is that i refer you to the hospital, and they wire your jaw shut".

Yeah, i know, what a *****, and being the lamo i am, i just got up, said thank you and walked out and burst into tears in the street whilst onto the phone to my friend Rob, who tried to convince my hysterical self that i could not be forced to undergo such a procedure lol ( i wasn't thinking rationally, of course she couldn't force me).

The following thursday i joined SW. Did it for a few months, left and now, i am back on it, and feeling positive.

What a very nasty thing to say to someone! No wonder you got upset. We need help and encouragement, not being told to have our jaws wired shut. :mad: I hope you've now found a different doctor.

Slimming World actually have a thing going with the Health Service where doctors can refer you to SW and the NHS pay for a 12 week session as it's cheaper than prescribing diet pills (I read it somewhere but can't remember where). Sounds like your doctors weren't keeping up to date with the latest information!

Good luck with the diet.:)

When i went to talk to her about my weight and asked for some help, she gave me a very sarcastic smile, looked me up and down and told me "There is nothing more the nurses and i can do for you, the only thing i can suggest, is that i refer you to the hospital, and they wire your jaw shut".

quote]

That is terrible. My reason was a miscarriage earlier in the year. We now want to try again but I want t try and shift some weight first. I also suffer from anxiety disorder, and having panic attacks and being overweight is never good, it just makes things worse!!

What a very nasty thing to say to someone ....!

Good luck with the diet.:)

I have since changed Drs, and she is great and i see the nurse every month to check in, and they have both been so supportive.

I did ask about such a scheme, but the PCT where i live (Enfield) don't do it, they also don't do exercise referrals, so as i am unemployed at the moment, i pay for it out of my JSA, which is really tight, but i need to do SW, so it's a priority.

That is terrible. My reason was a miscarriage earlier in the year. We now want to try again but I want t try and shift some weight first. I also suffer from anxiety disorder, and having panic attacks and being overweight is never good, it just makes things worse!!

Well you know i wish you the best, and hopefully losing the weight, will bring a step closer to feeling better and having a baby xxx

Well there are a few reasons but my main ones are:

Having to buy size 26 clothes

Fed up with looking of photo's of myself and thinking I look like her out of Shallow Hal (the fat version!)

Had a miscarriage 3 months ago and would like to start trying for baby again

Being invited to a fancy dress party and realising I can't get fancy dress in a size 26

Not feeling attractive

Fed up with convincing myself that every pain or ache I get is because of my weight and I'm gonna have a heart attack

Being ashamed of myself - embaressed to meet old friends

Refusing to go on holidays with family and friends cause I don't want to be seen in a swimming costume with them

OK so there have been quite a few reasons and so its a good job I'm going for my first weigh in tonight!

Hi All

It's great that so many people have put into writing their 'thing' - have you all written these somewhere where you can look at them on a regular basis? When we have one of those days where it all seems like too much of an effort then checking back to where it all began and reasons why might be a good idea. I have mentioned before but the other thing that kept me on the straight and narrow was a photo of me in my grottiest undies that I kept hidden in my SW book!

i know this is disgusting but i decided to get rejoin slimming world when my hips and bum got so big i was finding it difficult to wipe myself after a poo...how vile!!! i started having a shower every time i went to the toilet.

i NEVER want to be in that situation again and i'm so angry that it had to come to that for me to realise i needed to do somethin about it.

Back