Whats a good amount of protein?

zakcat

Just out of interest I put my food I've eaten today into My Fitness Pal, it tells me I've had -

35g carbs
32g fat
197g protein

The protein is about 5 times what they expect I should eat doing a calorie controlled diet.

Is this about what we would expect? Can we eat too much protein? Having done Atkins and carb counting before the 35g sounds about right and mostly comes from my oat bran.

The ideal is to eat about 2g of protein per KG you weigh. So if you weight 75kgs - you need to eat 150g protein. Looks like you're eating about the right amount for your weight. That ideal is the amount you need to maintain your muscle mass while losing your fat. Which is the good thing about this diet as if you lose muscle, you will always have to eat less than you would normally to maintain your weight and you end up in this starving yourself to lose weight cycle which is not great! Muscle weighs more than fat, as you probably know, but the more you have, the more calories you burn when you're not exercising which means that when you finish up with Stabilization, you'll be maintaining your weight pretty effortlessly.

Thanks Charlie Brown, nice to know I'm doing ok.

Muscle and fat weigh exactly the same is just that muscle is denser :D

Back