Whats passata?

muffinandsam

Hi everyone, I've been doing SW for a week now and have been frantically browsing recipes and lurking :) trying to find something nice to eat as I'm bloomin starvin!
Ive noticed a lot of recipes have passata in them - what is it? and where abouts in the supermarket will I find it please?
Thanks a lot!

You know in the tomato pasta saucey type aisle at the supermarket?? Well the glass jars with plain red sauce is passata. Sainsbury's do a good one for 78p x

In Tesco it's with the canned fruit and veg, near the tinned tomatoes. :)

Jaq
xxx

Thanks for a quick reply!

I'm a bit confused though... I thought it was bad to buy things in jars..?

Passata is seived tomato and so its fine. And the tesco one comes in a carton. Not as bad :p

Jaq
xxx

I think most tinned vegetables have syns, but tinned tomatos are syn free. You can use chopped tomatos instead of passata in most recipies. I prefer chopped tomatos as I find passata too sweet.

I use passata loads, always have it in to mkae quick sauce's for the kids (when on cambridge diet, sigh) now its great to be using again!!

Mix with herbs and pasta quick and easy dish on green with chicken as hex (reckon free on EE but not got head round that yet haha)

No this isn't the case. Veggies are free whether fresh, frozen or tinned.

I think most tinned vegetables have syns, but tinned tomatos are syn free. You can use chopped tomatos instead of passata in most recipies. I prefer chopped tomatos as I find passata too sweet.

No this isn't the case. Veggies are free whether fresh, frozen or tinned.

no first comment is true.....if you are on the red plan the veggies have syns ...on the green/ee they would be free

canned mixed veg ,sweetcorn and garden peas are a few that have syns

The Tesco carton passata is very nice and it costs about 65p, I have a couple in my store cpboard all the time.

Sorry I'm a veggie and only do green so didn't think about them being synnable on red :eek:

no first comment is true.....if you are on the red plan the veggies have syns ...on the green/ee they would be free

canned mixed veg ,sweetcorn and garden peas are a few that have syns

Its nothing to do with them being tinned - theyre not free because theyre not vegetables, theyre pulses!

Peas, beans and sweetcorn are NEVER free on Red, whether tinned, frozen, fresh, raw or anything else.

Hi everyone, I've been doing SW for a week now and have been frantically browsing recipes and lurking :) trying to find something nice to eat as I'm bloomin starvin!
Ive noticed a lot of recipes have passata in them - what is it? and where abouts in the supermarket will I find it please?
Thanks a lot!

Passata and pulses aside, how come you're starving? You definitely shouldn't be starving on SW.

aww. my bad, my mum was telling me that was why when i asked and she had lost 6stone with slimming world and became a consultant .

hahaha guess she was wrong

Back