What's the best programme for me?

toller-girl

constantly confused
Hi, I'm new to the CD forums, but not to Minimins.

I did Lighter Life last year with my husband, and lost 5 stone. I probably would have liked to lose more but it was a healthy weight and I was happy.

In December, my husband left me, and I quickly put on about 2 and a half stone :eek: through a combination of comfort eating, but also not seeing the point of cooking just for me.

I started CD yesterday on SS, but am thinking about going to SS plus, or even 810 to get me into the habit of cooking for one. It seems that's my biggest problem, so it would make more sense for me to tackle that wouldn't it?

My counsellor seems great, but I don't want to divulge really personal stuff to her, and don't want to talk about it in detail. Also I go with a friend, and I'd be reluctant to start spilling my guts.

I think mixing shakes and soups is too easy and isn't going to help me long term. I am leaning towards going onto the 810 plan and having very little to eat, but slightly more choice than the SS+ so would be more likely to get into good habits.

Long term it seems more sensible to lose weight slower and get some useful skills, rather than speedy weight loss and find myself back at square one.

On the other hand, I'd love to be able to wear my size 12s again sooner rather than later! :rolleyes:

Would love to hear other peoples opinions, and also, if anyone has any more information on the SS+ and 810 plans I'd be very grateful to hear it :D

Hello Toller-girl and welcome to this part of the site.
I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it, but now it seems to me you are taking really positive decisions for your life so things can only be on the up!
I have lost 2.5 stone on SS and am just starting on 810 now. I want to lose another stone.
I think it really depends on how fast you want to lose the weight. I was also doubtful about learning 'new habits' when I started, but 9 weeks of SS later, I simply cannot imagine eating the portions I did before, which is so often the problem. Cutting food out can't help but change your attitude to it, but afterwards you will still be expected to work up through the plans to stabilisation. Perhaps here is where you could do that 're-learning' about food that you are concerned about?
I wonder whether you could lose the first stone or so on SS to get you going and 'take a break' from food, and then begin 810 from there? This might be the perfect combination of plans to suit your purposes.

Also, perhaps there is a way to talk about this to your CDC without having to divulge the more personal details? Could you explain that you are concerned about relearning how to portion food without having to go into the reasons why?

Whatever you decide, good luck to you and I hope this is the start of a happier time for you.

x

Thanks! :D

I think the first stone idea sounds like a good compromise, it'll give me a boost and a good start, and then I can continue losing and spend a little longer on the eating stages so I only have one meal to think about, and when that becomes habit I can think of 2 etc.

I'm really concerned about portion control having done LL before and being more conscious when I started eating, I noticed than when I had 'normal' portions I was still very hungry. I do a lot of exercise and walk between 2 and 4 hours every day, so maybe that gives me a faster metabolism?

What I really want is to learn how much food I need to maintain a healthy weight. My LL counsellor quit after we finished management, and I didn't have scales (I have now) so I really want to get into the habit of cooking healthy meals, preparing food in advance and making sure the kitchen is organised and ordered, ready to cook. I'd feel more positive I think if I could go to doing that as soon as possible.

I already know I can abstain from food for a length of time, I think it was 6 months I was on LL for, if I stayed on this for 6 months I'd end up in hospital so knowing I don't have as much to lose actually makes me want to sole source less! I was pretty ill at the end of Lighter Life, lost a lot of hair and was very dizzy, so I'm eager to avoid those side effects. It took my body a long time to recover from the extremeness of it, so that's another reason I would rather reduce my calories to 810 rather than all the way down.

I started CD yesterday, and my first weigh in is Monday, I'll wait until at least the following Monday before making any decisions, as I know I'm not yet in ketosis and still feeling very hungry. I don't want physical hunger to dictate my decision.

Back