Whats wrong with me? Challenges!

justjudith

*waves hello*
Hi there,

I'm wondering whats wrong with me and I wondered if anyone else has this problem (or am I the only one?)

You see as soon as I set myself a challenge as in losing weight everything seems to go t*ts up (pardon my French) and my body either refuses to budge or accumulates even more fat. I don't seem to do anything much different - perhaps I am more stressed and see things more in terms of having to be prefect and when I'm not I blow out for England.... but....

I'm now scared of saying to anyone I will lose weight as I don't want to gain. This is one main reason why I won't go to class this time round. I went to class before and lost 5 stone but then ..... a switch went in me mind it feels like.... and each week they would say whats the target for the week and I would say - and I hardly ever came close to the target I had set. In the end I used to say "just a loss" and crossed my fingers tight.

I'd like to set myself a new year target etc., but don't want to gain.

Anyone any pointers? Empathy? Suggestions?

Judith

Hi Judith

Hugs for the problems you're having.

This probably turns into a ramble and feel free to stop reading once you're bored.

Sometimes having definite targets of a specific weight loss in a week can be putting too much pressure on yourself and each time you don't make it you feel like a failure and thereby almost setting you up for failure that week too as you've already prooved to yourself you can't do.

Have you tried having longer term targets ie 8 weeks and giving yourself a very realistic target that you'll probably reach in about 5 weeks. Hence giving yourself achievable targets will make you feel like you can do it and therefore spur you on to the next target. It will also take into consideration any natural fluctations over time of your weight. Some weeks I'll try like crazy and loose a little, others fall off the wagon more than once and loose more.

The other thing you could try is rather than setting yourself a goal of weight to loose every week is to give yourself a number of days you must be 100% in a week. You then have more control over this and know that if you do something you'll definitly not reach your target and that choosing something else will help you achieve it. You can then use the scales to make sure that you are setting yourself the correct number of days on plan to loose weight.

Hope it all makes sense, I use both of these to keep me on track and interested in the diet (along with numerous spreadsheets and graphs recording weight and eating habits, I tend to find if I'm not OCD about it I forget to do it).

Heya hun ..... i have bags of empathy for ya .... Crikey, first time round on SW i gained after 4 weeks and got my money back !!!! So i completely know where you`re coming from !!!

However this time round i had a different mindset, it wasn`t just a "diet" ... It is a way of eating that i can maintain that is healthy, rather than just low cal/low fat/boring. I let myself have the treats, and in doing so don`t feel as deprived, and i don`t punish myself and say 20 hail marys and eat Lettuce for a week if i do have a blow out or two, coz lets be right about it, even people at "healthy" weights, who`ve never had an issue with their weight in their life, will still go out and have pizza hut, or a chinese from time to time !!

I still get cross with myself for shovelling crap in my mouth, but i`m "kinder" to myself too, it`s more about changing how i think and feel about myself now, rather than "I must be thin .. i must be thin ... Thin = happy" (erm nope it doesn`t, being a healthy weight and happy in my own skin makes me happy ;) )

Try giving yourself easy to achieve targets ... even 1 lb a week ... over 7 weeks is half a stone, and it`s half a stone gone ;)

Back