What's your fave scan bran cake recipe?

StaceyUK

Gold Member
Someone in class brought a scan bran cake to buffet night and it was really yummy! Sadly she didn't stay so I couldn't get the recipe though I'll have to hunt her down on Wed! LOL

It had sultanas in it, I think. But it got me thinking - what's your fave scan bran cake recipe? I'm looking to eat more of the stuff as I hear it's so fantastic for weight loss!

I made the parkin scan bran cake the other day it didnt last long - (my husband and son liked it). I had a slice with raspberries and yoghurt on top - delicious. I'm sat here thinking of baking another this afternoon while the weather is so awful

Someone at group made the ferrero rocher type thingies but used shredded wheat i think instead of scan bran. OK but not like the real thing - id rather do without.

I am thinking the same as you Stacey so will be watching this thread :)

I have a few favourite:

1. Curly Wurly Cake
2. Sticky Toffee Cake
3. Scotch Eggs made with scan bran

I have loads of scan bran recipes & I know if you go online they did a scan bran feature where there were a load more - I have attached the recipes I have anyway.

I love the banana scan bran muffins - I have a piece of scan bran cake most days, it has saved my diet on lots of occasions.

How do i find the attached recipes from Julie19 please
Love the sound of curly wurly cake & sticky toffee cake - Diet who said anything about a diet!!!

I made this the other day and its DELICIOUS!! Its from the slimming world website, I highly reccomend it, its not dry at all :):):)

Carrot Cake (12 and half syns or can be eaten as 7 syns plus one HexB :) )
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 Scan Bran (crushed)
5oz carrot (grated)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp runny honey
3 eggs (beaten)
1 weetabix (crushed)
½ tsp mixed spice
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp mincemeat[/FONT][/FONT]
Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
3. Turn the mixture into a lined tin, cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for a further 30 minutes. 4. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool

How do i find the attached recipes from Julie19 please
Love the sound of curly wurly cake & sticky toffee cake - Diet who said anything about a diet!!!

Here you go:

Curly Wurly Scan Bran Cake
This recipe is just 8 ½ syns for the whole cake and 1 healthy extra B choice.

Ingredients:

- 4 Scan Bran
- 1 Weetabix
- 1 tbsp. golden syrup
- 1 cup sweetener
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 Bashed up curly wurly

Cooking Instructions

1. Break the scan bran into pieces; pour on a little hot water to soften.

2. Once soft, mash with a fork. Add the Weetabix, sweetener and golden syrup. Mix well.

3. Add the beaten egg a little at a time until the mixture is soft but not runny.

4. Line a loaf tin with foil or non stick baking parchment. Place the mixture in the tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180c for about an hour Curly Wurly Cake

Sticky Toffee Pudding (Using Scan Bran!)

Ingredients

This recipe is just 4 1/2 syns for the whole cake and 1 healthy extra B choice.

Ingredients:

- 4 Scan Bran
- 1 Weetabix
- 1 tbsp. golden syrup
- 1 cup sweetener
- 1-2 eggs, beaten
- 1 sachet of toffee options

Cooking Instructions

1. Break the scan bran into pieces, pour on a little hot water to soften.

2. Once soft, mash with a fork. Add the weetabix, sweetener, toffee options and golden syrup. Mix well.

3. Add the beaten egg a little at a time until the mixture is soft but not runny.

4. Line a loaf tin with foil and spray with FryLight. Place the mixture in the tin at bake in a pre-heated oven at 180c for about 45 mins

You can actually make this one with any flavour options & the syns will stay the same.
Scotch Eggs

½ syn each

8 boiled eggs

8 syn free sausages

4 scan bran crushed – 2 sins

Method

Skin the sausages and mash each one individually into a ball, flatten down in your hand then wrap around an egg.

Roll onto scan bran till covered, place on a baking tray for 30 mins, gas mark 5.

no problem - if anyone wants all the recipes I have then send me a personal message with your email address & I will forward them on to you.

oh love the sound of the curly wurly cake i think i will be making that!!

Eternity - can I have recipe please?

Here we go:

3 eggs
4 scan bran & 1 weetabix (HEB)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sweetener
1 tsp baking powder
1 Banana broken up

In a bowl break up scan bran and just cover with hot water, crumble in weetabix and add other ingredients.
Mix well (using a blender if preferred), then pour into silicone muffin tray or any microwaveable dish in micro for 7-8 mins for the full tray ;)

Someties i add ground ginger or a tbspn marmalade.

Scan Bran is Scandinavian Bran Crispbread (85% Bran) 1/2 syn per slice. U can buy them at SW classes and at Health Shops. I only use them in making cakes. They look a bit like a rooftile and have the texture of compressed cardboard lol. Some people do actually like them as a crispbread though.

Here we go:

3 eggs
4 scan bran & 1 weetabix (HEB)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sweetener
1 tsp baking powder
1 Banana broken up

In a bowl break up scan bran and just cover with hot water, crumble in weetabix and add other ingredients.
Mix well (using a blender if preferred), then pour into silicone muffin tray or any microwaveable dish in micro for 7-8 mins for the full tray ;)

Someties i add ground ginger or a tbspn marmalade.

Ooohhh..that sounds right up my alley! Thanks! I love banana bread so I'll give this a go!

I've made the scan bran banana cake a few times recently (has scan bran but also two weetabix in it). You're supposed to put sweetner in it, but I don't like to use it if I can help it, so I just didn't use it and relied on the sweetness of the banana and mincemeat and I think there was a tbsp of honey (I used agave syrup instead). It wasn't overly sweet, but I quite liked it that way. I cut it into squares and put it in the fridge (imperative or it goes off) and just nibbled on it over a few days. Maybe a few squares with a cup of tea, etc. Really worth having around. I keep meaning to try other ones too but as I always seem to have bananas laying around getting ripe, I keep making that one! :)

Back