Green Day Whats your favourite Lentil recipe?

ermintrude said:
OMG I *adore* lentils! I have lentils in everything! :D Last night was Egyptian lentil soup, I have roast veg & lentil soup every week, stick it in curries, everything!

Here ya go, some people seem to like this recipe:

Warm Puy lentil salad:

Ingredients:
- 150g Puy lentils
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- About 20 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf

For the dressing:
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 rounded tsp powdered mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (4 syns but serves about 3)
- freshly ground black pepper

Method:
- Put lentils and bay leaf in twice their volume of water, cover and simmer for 20-25min or until tender and all water gone.
- Meanwhile cook onion & garlic in Fry Light for 5-10min until softening
- Crush garlic and salt in a pestle & mortar until creamy
- Add mustard and work that in
- Add balsamic vinegar and whisk it in
- Add oil and freshly ground black pepper and mix well
- When lentils are cooked mix them with the onion & garlic, basil leaves and dressing

Best served warm or at room temp

I'm going to hopefully give this a bash tomorrow :)

Ooohhh only have red and some yellow ones! Will they be ok? Never tried the yellow ones:s

Lentil Loaf - I love this either hot or cold - it makes a great packed lunch. Will post photos when I find them. Also add other veggies - peppers and cooked and well drained spinach.

LENTIL LOAF serves 4
(2.5 SYNS plus HEA/HEB per person on GREEN or EE DAY)
Ingredients
225g Red Lentils - 1 bay leaf - water to cook
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp Mixed Herbs
( I added garlic, cumin, coriander, garam masala and a little chilli)
1 Tblsp Tomato Ketchup
2 Ripe Tomatoes, skinned & chopped
168g half fat cheddar OR 112g cheddar, grated (HEA or HEB on Green)
57g Wholemeal Bread made into breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 180C / 160 Fan Assisted /325F

Line a loaf tin
In a medium saucepan add the lentils and bay leaf and cover by about 1" with cold water. Bring to boil and then simmer. Cook until tender and hopefully all water has gone.
If water is remaining drain and squeeze through a sieve. Remove bay leaf
Whilst lentils are cooking :-
In a large bowl mix together the grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, beaten eggs, chopped onion, breadcrumbs, herbs.

Then add cooked lentils and mix thoroughly.

Place mixture into lined loaf tin and bake until golden brown & firm to the touch - about 40 mins (adjust to your oven)

Tip onto a plate and remove lining paper. Cut into 4 and serve.

------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Slimming Eats is a good website for SW recipes - I use it quite often.
The pizza topped sweet potato which has a small picture on the same page as the chilli is nice - infact havn't had one from there I did not like.

Last edited:
I'm doing a lentil, mung bean & chickpea kind of moussaka tonight... I'll post a pic if it tastes nice :) oh isn looking toward to it lol

ermintrude said:
oh, oh! and you MUST try the lentil shepherd's pie! God's food! :drool:

Veggie Shepherd's Pie

Serves 4 (huge portions though, I reckon you could serve 6 or even 8 if you have it with veggies etc)

Works out about 2 syns plus 1HEXA per portion on Green/EE

Ingredients:
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g carrots, cut into very small cubes
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 200ml red wine (7 syns)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Good few shakes Worcestershire sauce
- 200g dried Puy lentils (or you can used drained tinned ones if you work out the relevant weight)
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500g baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 113g mature cheddar, grated (= 1 HEXA per portion)

Method:
- Simmer lentils in 2-3 times their weight of water for 15 min until half-cooked (skip this if you use tinned ones). Drain.
- In the meantime fry onion and garlic until golden, about 5 min
- Add lentils, carrots, wine, tomatoes, stock cubes, bay leaf, cumin, chilli, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and all but a sprinkling of the thyme and simmer for 20 min.
(You might have to add about 100ml of water to feed the lentils depending how fast your hob cooks. But at the end you need the mix to be reduced to a nice thick pie-contents consistency, not runny)
- While that's cooking boil both types of potato for 10-15 min until tender, then drain well, add cinnamon, season well and mash
- When it's all ready put the lentil mix in a casserole dish, spread the mash over followed by the cheese and sprinkle the remaining thyme on top
(If you're not cooking it right away leave it to cool before putting the cheese on)
- When you're ready to cook heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and cook for 20 min straight from the hob, or 40 min from chilled

I made this tonight although I did use lentils and mung beans! Very tasty and VERY filling ....loads left! I think the recipe would be fab with quorn mince too :)

Thank you :)

The cottage pie is good made with Savoury TVP from H & Barrats - I add a few ready cooked beans as well.

Having a broken arm and plenty of spare time have been doing more reading and found this. It is a recipe for wraps made with mung beans - nearly lentils ;)

An exciting discovery « Spice and more

am wanting to give this a go but so frustrating as I can't move my arm so if anybody wants to make them and report back - please !!!!

The cottage pie is good made with Savoury TVP from H & Barrats - I add a few ready cooked beans as well.

Having a broken arm and plenty of spare time have been doing more reading and found this. It is a recipe for wraps made with mung beans - nearly lentils ;)

An exciting discovery « Spice and more

am wanting to give this a go but so frustrating as I can't move my arm so if anybody wants to make them and report back - please !!!!

Ill def give it a go prob next week since I have a shed load of mung beans in :)
Ahhh the wraps ...yes there is a thread on here about them and a lot of ppl say they are great (not tried them yet) sorry not sure the thread title think it might be 'syn free wraps'

Last edited:
Back