Whats your most embarrasing weight story?

kelster

I thought i would start this post as i had the most embarrasing situation only last week and wanted everyone else to share there similar stories as this has now made me more determinded than ever and hope it will do the same for others, basically my weight is seriously ruining my life, i have just come back from spain and i had already planned to start this diet as soon as i returned but this just made me realise how important i need to lose weight,i used to ice skate when i was younger and did travel alot doing shows etc so i was very slim back then but i have put so much weight on the last 5-6 years having kids etc and when i boarded the flight a girl i hadn't seen for years who i used to skate with was the hostess and i felt ashamed of how i looked and to make matters worse when i sat down for the first time ever the seat belt wouldn't fit and because it was a tiny flight she was the only hostess around to ask for a extension....how bad is that??? i could have curled up and died, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and i think that was the massive kick up the bum i really needed......shame on me !!!

Good thread!

I've just gone back to work after being off for over a year on maternity leave. When I went into work for my returning chat in March one of my colleagues asked me if I was already expecting my second child. I could've curled up and died on the spot. I knew that I had put weight on over the winter but didn't think it was that obvious - I went home and weighed myself - I was a stone heavier than when C was born last May. Most people put weight on while pregnant, but I did it afterwards...

So I'm determined now to surpass myself and get down to a size 10 which I haven't been in about 20 years.

Meeting college mates I hadnt seen in years and asking me how many kids I had got! Dont even have one. Or seeing former work colleagues and all of them commenting on how big I had become as I used to be slimmer then. Meeting families members I hadnt seen in years and they couldnt recognize me coz I was so big and looking different.

1st- Was in sainsburys and a girl i used to know from school and didnt really like came over to start chatting and asked when i was due!
2nd- my ex bf left me because he said my weight was making me so miserable that he couldn't handle my depressive mood swings when looking clothes and my lack of body confidence.

Last edited:
Being in Tesco's after just having my first child and a little boy who was with his Dad ( a very good looking dad may I add) said that's a big lady Daddy :eek: The Dad tried to shut him up and apologised to me which made me feel even worse as I just wanted a hole to open up and swallow me.

Never mind I have 2 children now and know how inncocent (or honest) his comment was, out of the mouth of babes as they say lol. Zoe x

this is kinda different embarassing but also a compliment, when i was at work the other day a man said "are you new i thought a fat girl with brown hair did this round" i said "that was me and it felt good! a couple of years ago a man shouted at me for smoking whilst pregnant but i wasnt pregnant that was embarassing xx

Thanks for all your replys, at least i'm not alone then! LOL. And Zoe that has happened to me before with young children, sometimes i am frightened to make eye contact with some children as i can see what there thinking. The one thing i can't wait to change is that sick feeling i feel every time i board a flight, will i fit in the seat? will the seat belt fit? it always has done up till now, but the strange thing is i only needed the extension seat belt on the outbound and i certainly never lost weight in spain all inclusive! very strange! Oh and listen to this for bad, when i last went to Florida on a works trip ( including 30 colleagues) we did all the parks, but i was there only a few months before with my husband and i'm not sure if you know but the really big rides have a safety harness which goes over your shoulders and a safety belt which comes up from between your legs and clips into the harness which is over your shoulders, they have a row of seats for bigger chested people so i always had to sit them (which is embarrasing in its self having to que in a special que) but because i knew this when i went with my husband i stayed clear of these rides as i didn't want my colleagues to know i needed the bigger seats, anyway they decided to go on a old fashioned style wooden rollercoaster which looking in the seats only had a lap bar so i thought i would be ok, WRONG... i sat in the seat to discover a seat belt as well as a lap bar ...S**T,i couldn't even find the short end of the belt when i sat in the seat, so trying not to bring attention to myself i shot up and said i didn't like it and in a panic ended up the wrong side of the track with some american screaming at me to either ride it or the person sat next to me would have to get out to let me back on the other side of the track which luckly she did no problem, i have never been so flustered and must have went bright red....its a curse...but all these memories are making me stick it even more, thanks guys...sorry for the long story but can't stop once i start..ha ha

My husband is 12 years younger than me and works out and weight trains and has a perfect body. One year in Turkey I was in the sea and my husband was talking to aTurkish guy. When I came out he introduced me as his wife. The Turkish guy said, "No! Not the wife the mama." To make matters worse he then added, "Food is not good for you as you have nice face!" I could have died. My husband still slags me about this to this day!

Broxi that's awful! How rude :( Some people have no consideration for others at all.

I paid £50 for a works trip to Alton Towers and was all ready to go until the night before when it suddenly hit me that I might be too big to fit in the rides. I scoured the internet looking for other people's experiences and that did NOT fill me with confidence, so I had to just not go. It was either that or risk everyone at work knowing I was too big to get on the rides, and I'd rather lose the £50. Sad, I know, but I'd do more or less anything to avoid that embarrassment :(

omg Broxi that's awful. Don't you just love people like that -not.

Kelster, I'm like you I have been to Florida and experienced the rides and having to go in the "special que" lol. Never again, I will only go back to any theme parks when I am confident I will be able to get on and enjoy without the worry of the lap bar thing. Zoe xx

I had a lady I hadn't seen for a while congratulate me on my pregnancy. I wouldn't mind but I wasn't even that big at the time, and I was bigger after I had my youngest! Cheeky moo. I watched her writhe with embarrassment though when I said "I am not pregnant, but thank you anyway" and just watched her colour rise and her awkward "er er er sorry, oh god" reaction.
I have been to places where the chair arms have really cut into my hips, and even toilets in services where there are sanitary bins squeezed in next to the loo, and the whole cubicle is really narrow... the bin thing sticks into my hip. I am quite hippy! The thing is though, if it is uncomfortable for me when I am about 2 and a half stone overweight, imagine how bad it must be for those who are a bit bigger. It is disgusting, everyone is entitles to feel comfortable! How ironic too that restaurants serving fat ridden food should have teeny bloomin chairs!

At one point me and my husband were having, erm, difficulties shall we say and things weren't happening as regularly as they could have been. Mid argument, me screaming like a hapry (which is a very attractive figure to cut) "IS IT ME? IS IT MY WEIGHT?" He replied "well, yeah a wee bit.." "WHAT?!?!" "You've put on a bit" "SO HAVE YOU. YOU SAID YOU LOOOOOVED ME" "I do, just you asked why we weren't as often and thats why"

That was pretty mortifying.

Routinely dipping my boobs in my dinner leaning across the table is another firm favourite.

Dancing at a nightclub and being commented on that I looked like a walrus in distress, although to be fair that could have been the dancing on its own.

Handing my provisional picture to my driving instructor who said "Ooft you were heavy" "Actually I'm the same weight now" "Oh... right..."

I def have suffered from the toilet/sanitary one. I used to hate sitting down in a public toilet and have the bin digging into me.

The most embarrassing experience for me tho was being mistaken for a man. When i was at my heaviest i tried to disguise myself as much as i could. I wouldnt wear make up and used to scrape my hair back and wear bigger clothes to cover myself up. Looking back it was a big mistake. I emphasised myself and by not making an effort with my appearance i stood out more because i didn't look feminine. I found this out when i was walking down the road and a car pulled along side and a couple of men were inside and the driver said "excuse me mate, do you know where such & such road is?" Without making eye contact, i replied "no sorry" kept my head down and carried on walking. I then heard the driver say to the passenger "Omg, that was a bird" I could of died there and then. I'm pleased to say that now i wear hair down/up loadsa diff ways and i wear make up and excentuate what goodness i do have. I never want to feel that masculine again!!! I admit it sticks with me tho as when people say "You narf look like your dad, or you and your bro have the same expressions etc" I hate it as once again i take it as they are referring to me looking masculine and not just genetically joined to my family!!

People are so cruel, i didnt even tell the stewardess my seatbelt wouldnt fit I just hid it under my cardy. That was the point when I decided to do this diet and finish it.

My son came home crying just afterwards saying a boy in the park was calling me a moose and singing a moose song about me, I was devestated and really felt for my son cos I couldnt tell him i wasnt, im not putting him in that predicament again where he couldnt argue back.

Ah when children are involved it gets tricky. I have a 9 year old and a 5 month old. My nine year old would always have his friends making comments about me in arguments at school. He was so protective of me tho and would say that they had said things but never want to divulge the details. I remember him telling me one day "I don't want to say to you what they said as they are not nice words" I prompted him and he finally managed to say "it was about you being fat" I assured him that there was nothing for him to worry about and to not feel sad for me or take their comments to heart. As long as he kept being a good person and ignoring it that was all that mattered and to not try and indulge in their name calling as a reaction will lead to more.

That was that, then about a week ago, he said to me "Mum you look so skinny!" I thanked him and said he'd used a nice choice of words (i'm far from skinny but to him im the smallest hes ever experience. He proceeded to tell me "don;t get too skinny tho as i like your cuddles i dont want to cuddle bones". I beamed inside, as much as i felt like i needed to slim partially for him, he still loved his big mummy. I also want to get to target so my 5 month old will grow up and never knowing me as big as i could do without him ever enduring comments about me. I'm hoping my childrens lives will be easier to not have to deal with my size issues! Apolgies for essay, im rather chatty with the typing today :D

Ah when children are involved it gets tricky. I have a 9 year old and a 5 month old. My nine year old would always have his friends making comments about me in arguments at school. He was so protective of me tho and would say that they had said things but never want to divulge the details. I remember him telling me one day "I don't want to say to you what they said as they are not nice words" I prompted him and he finally managed to say "it was about you being fat" I assured him that there was nothing for him to worry about and to not feel sad for me or take their comments to heart. As long as he kept being a good person and ignoring it that was all that mattered and to not try and indulge in their name calling as a reaction will lead to more.

Aww bless him that is so sweet.... he was being so protective of you.

That was that, then about a week ago, he said to me "Mum you look so skinny!" I thanked him and said he'd used a nice choice of words (i'm far from skinny but to him im the smallest hes ever experience. He proceeded to tell me "don;t get too skinny tho as i like your cuddles i dont want to cuddle bones". I beamed inside, as much as i felt like i needed to slim partially for him, he still loved his big mummy. I also want to get to target so my 5 month old will grow up and never knowing me as big as i could do without him ever enduring comments about me. I'm hoping my childrens lives will be easier to not have to deal with my size issues! Apolgies for essay, im rather chatty with the typing today :D

I nearly burst out crying reading this, how sweet is your son, that really is so lovely.. I want to give him a big hug..

I have a 2 and 3 year old and they always say mummys on a diet cause she wants to be skinny like Nathan who is my 3 year old ..

Your doing great hon.. you really are x

Sammi N, How could anyone ever think your a man? You look so beautiful in your picture and nothing like a man,i know its tricky when kids are involved as you want to protect them but they are stronger than you think and i'm sure they are very proud of you.
Witchy, i tried to hide the seat belt too! Great minds think alike ha ha, but i never got away with it, i think the red face gave me away. I have also suffered with the whole toilet think, from the size of them on the plane, to getting squashed next to a bin, also i find in all toilets that the door always open in the way and sometimes i struggle to get the door passed my big body to shut it !
Thank you to everyone for bringing all these up as i have experienced most of them and it only makes me and i hope others more focused.
Thanks Guys xx

I don't think it was any one particular thing,although 2 things do stick out in my mind more than anything else. Last year my relatives came over from Oz-I was almost 17 stone at the time and much,much heavier than the last time they saw me. I was so ashamed. Nobody said anything to my face, but all I wanted to do was hide when they wanted to take photos, or use the video camera. They don't know that I'm dieting-I want to surprise them, so this time they'll get a good shock.

The second thing was when we went to Lapland last Christmas. The plane seat was snug enough on the way there, but on the way back it was even smaller. I was so uncomfortable. I just about managed to fasten the seatbelt, but I barely had room to move and I couldn't put the tray down all the way because my stomach was in the way. The arm rest also dug into my leg. I spent almost 4 very uncomfortable hours almost in tears. Never again. This Christmas when we go again I will fit in my plane seat easily.

I nearly burst out crying reading this, how sweet is your son, that really is so lovely.. I want to give him a big hug..

I have a 2 and 3 year old and they always say mummys on a diet cause she wants to be skinny like Nathan who is my 3 year old ..

Your doing great hon.. you really are x

Thanks alot hun, he really is a sweetie tho i worry about his sensitivity in times like that. I feel like im doing well now and definately on the road to success. You look amazing!!!!!!!

Kelster thanks for your lovely words. Looking back on old photos i can def see a resemblance of a male. My profile pic is more current and when i kicked myself up the bum to make more of an effort on my looks :D

Thanks for your kind words tho peeps its put a smile on my face

i came back from visiting my auntie and started this diet immediatly, she said, god when you walked down the drive i thought you were having another baby, i even had tummy hugging big pants on holding all my fat in lol, but today my mum came for tea and saidm i can see your loosing weight, i grabbed my love handles and said this is really flabby though, my two year old said no mummy my flabby, and grabbed his sides, bless him he is sooo skinny. but makes me realise i have to get slim now cos i dont want him to have my hangups xxxx

Back