when can I have fruit??

Emmamc1

Hi, I'm on day 12 of induction and really missing fruit, when can I start eating fruit again, any advise please, thankyou

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Hi Emma

Have you checked out the Atkins UK website? Just google Atkins Diet and you should get the official site which gives a lot of detail on what you can eat and when. Should you chose to move onto OWL after 2 weeks of induction you can eat some berries but only in VERY small quantities. Personally I would rather have none than be tortured by only being allowed about 5 strawberries! Fruit sadly has a very high sugar content so is never really able to be eaten freely

You can have rhubarb right now. It's technically a vegetable and counts as an induction vegetable. Stew it for a few minutes in boiling water with a couple of sweetner tablets.

After your two week induction you can start adding small quantities of berries in - I recommend blueberries - and also certain types of melon. You must count the carbs on them but I've not had any problems.

Most other fruit are for when you're close to goal or maintaining - they're just too sugary.

Great, thankyou both, I will try the rubarb, what sweetners are allowed, I never heard of using sweetners thanks

Atkins used to recommend sucralose sweeteners - that's Splenda.

Most tablet sweeteners do have some carb - Splenda tablets have 76.9 grams of carb per 100 grams, Canderel tablets have 87.4 per 100 grams, Hermesetas Stevia tablets are actually zero carb for 100 grams.

Be careful of granulated sweeteners, the stuff they add to bulk it out makes it have nearly as many carbs as sugar. Granulated Splenda for instance has 97.7 grams so is not a lot different from sugar.... I can tell you I was not pleased when I discovered that! Tablet sweeteners are better if you are trying to cut carbs.

The different sorts do taste a bit different, I like the Hermesetas Stevia myself but that's just me.

Thanks for that, I'm going to try some this week, thanks

Sort of pointless to measure the carbs in sweetener tablets by 100 grams. Splenda and Canderel tablets have about 0.06 carbs per tablet. It would be very hard to use enough per day to even get to 1 carb.

Granulated is different, it has a carby bulking agent added and is approx 1g carb per teaspoon. That's why I use the tablets.

It was because you mentioned that you used the tablets, ML, that I looked properly at the packaging for the granulated stuff and was duly horrified. Not using that stuff any more now! ;)

I'm a bit of a tablet fan - if I'm adding sweetener to a recipe where tablets wouldn't work I usually dissolve them in a teaspoon of hot water and add that.

You can get totally carb free liquid splenda - not sure if they sell it here but in the states certainly. I have some stevia but didn't like the taste at all.

We've tried some Stevia powder before - it was pretty strong, only needed a teeny 1/4 tsp to be as sweet as a couple of tbsp sugar - but a slightly weird after taste so it is still sat in the cupboard. The little tablets seem to be better in that respect, we think.

I tried looking for the sweetners today, couldn't find them ha, I'll have another look tomorrow when I go shopping, thanks x

Back