When do you do yours?

As and when. No routine here really.

Although everyone chips in. Hubs and I do things 50/50, eldest tidies her own bedroom; and youngest helps tidy her toys away when finished playing.

I hardly ever iron, as I only iron bedding, school uniform, and anything else that I can't get away with not ironing!

Tend to have a big blitz cleaning day every week or two, and then just do bits as I go along.

Things like loading/unloading dishwasher, sweeping/mopping kitchen floor tend do be done inbetween cooking, I.e when something's in the oven or something.

As cave girl said, life's too short! X

Those things are more than enough to be going on with!
It's very easy to say why get stressed about something that doesn't stress you out or if you aren't a stressful person.
Did you not get stressed out in the past when you were doing it and working etc? Great if you are now at a point where it doesn't bother you. I'd rather not go out into the garden as I can see all the stuff that needs doing out there then!
It often gets left and doesn't bother anyone other than me really, though they do all have their jobs to do, that's why I was wondering if other people had ways that they did things that may prevent the build up.

Have you looked at flylady?

Heard it mentioned on here and lots of people rave about her method. Never looked at it myself xx

I did have a look but it was a bit weird lol kept going on about shining my sink :p

Haha really?

As I said I've never looked really.

Just bits in between seems to be the best way for me.

Can you get everyone to muck in and do a deep clean once a month? Even then if there's only you doing it the rest of the month there shouldn't be too much to do? xx

Haha really?

As I said I've never looked really.

Just bits in between seems to be the best way for me.

Can you get everyone to muck in and do a deep clean once a month? Even then if there's only you doing it the rest of the month there shouldn't be too much to do? xx
Yeah apparently if your sinks shiny alls well with the world lol dunno what am supposed to do with all the washing up in it while I'm shining it ;)
Like the idea of them all mucking in for a deep clean will see how it goes!

So before you go to work clean one room every morning.Quick vacuum and tidy.
Then in the holidays you can spend that bit more time doing skirting boards,windows,under beds,doors etc.
Could do a bit in the morning but prefer to catch up on minis and drink my cuppa!
Yep holidays tend to involve a lot of catching up on housework.....kind of takes away the supposed advantages of all the hols!

Those things are more than enough to be going on with!
It's very easy to say why get stressed about something that doesn't stress you out or if you aren't a stressful person.
Did you not get stressed out in the past when you were doing it and working etc? Great if you are now at a point where it doesn't bother you. I'd rather not go out into the garden as I can see all the stuff that needs doing out there then!
It often gets left and doesn't bother anyone other than me really, though they do all have their jobs to do, that's why I was wondering if other people had ways that they did things that may prevent the build up.

I know exactly what you mean, Emsie. My OH and daughter have been moaned at on several occasions and help out WHEN ASKED, which totally infuriates me! When my partner lived in his own flat it was immaculate and, yes, he does work really long hours and he will do things when asked to but he seems oblivious to the amount of housework I do. When we had the plumber round once my OH said 'I bet he sees some disgusting bathrooms' and I thought to myself, so would ours bloody be if I didn't clean it!! :( He even says to people, when in a relevant conversation, that he thinks it's awful when men don't help out round the house and he truly believes it but, if he was being honest, he wouldn't be able to tell you how many weeks ago it was that he used the vacuum cleaner - after being asked!!! My daughter too was extremely proud of how neat, clean and tidy her Uni room was (even the cleaners commented on it when they went in to vacuum) and how her side of the Uni kitchen was always spotless. When she moved into a shared house for her second year she complained that nobody else cleaned the place, just her. Well, she's certainly not kept up the level of housework since she's returned home! Even sometimes down to closing the wardrobe door when she's been rifling through it and the kitchen when she's cooked her own meals sometimes, well, don't even go there! I've left things before now, in the hope they would notice but the only person it gets down is me! Sorry about all this ranting and no, I haven't any particular answer to your original question I'm afraid, unless you call on the housework fairy they both seem to rely on!!!

Glad I'm not the only one ranting Chocko but sorry you are stressed too!
Mine often leave cupboard doors open and think I'm just going on but I'll come back from my swim on an evening say and the kitchen light will be on , blind up and and cupboard open for all the close to see and that's before I get in and see all the crumbs on the side!
I don't think I expect too much but a little more than I get would be nice!
I think my daughter will be the same as yours was when she gets her own place but she doesn't see it here, she made herself breakfast and left the milk,butter mushrooms etc out and when I called her back she was like what stuff?! :rolleyes:
Bizarre isn't it!

We built our house 4 years ago about 30yards from my parent's house; my mammy is a clean machine, she can't stand *anythng* in the wash basket and will stick on the washing machine even if there is only 2 or 3 things in there! I have lower standards but if my place isn't totally spotless when she nips down she'll spend aaaaages cleaning. I would rather spend some QT with her so I've taken to cleaning before I go to bed evey night so we can have a wee natter.

One thing I am very strict on is that the bed is made every morning, an unmade bed leaves me very uneasy for the rest of the day & I have to make it at night before I get in.

am with you emsie..can't relax til certain things are done. i do a bit every night. my kitchen can look like Bosnia at dinner time when am doing lunches etc. to ease my stress and thinking am going to be there the whole night whilst other things still need done, i come up with what i think is a reasonable time limit to spend on it and set the timer on my cooker lol. honestly i say "right 20 mins to do the kitchen" then when the beeps don't go off i know it hasn't taken me " all night". mentally it really helps
i find breaking it down really helps and my house isn't the cleanest or tidiest but being on top of it helps my sanity
if it looks decent then am good lol

All the time. Saturday is the only day I try to have a day of. Besides cooking but hub is home then so we tend to do it between us.
But we are a family of 2 teen girls. Daughter in her 20's my hub and I.
But no one does any of it as good as me. (bit ocd) lol

Saturday mornings are usually my bathrooms, dust & hoover time, then I can faff about for the rest of the day! The rest of the time things just get done as and when. The thing that gets me is that my washing machine is in constant use! And I don't have any kids! Dred to think how much clothes washing you parents do!

Back