When should i tell my boss?

Fern please do not do anything that could threaten your pregnancy, its very early days and it must take priority. I know from recent experience how awful a miscarriage can be. As for your payrise you requested it prior to your being aware of your pregnancy therefore it shouldnt make any difference. Why are you signing a new contract? Is yours currently due to run out?

Fern

I have a CIPD in HR so can give you my best advice, as a friend and as a HR professional.

You should tell your boss, inform them that its early days and therefore you wont be doing anything strenuous in your work, but that you want to keep it a secret until you are further into your pregnancy.

As soon as you inform your boss of your pregnancy, then you are protected by employment rights - which are all in your favour as the pregnant employee!

Here is a link with lots of facts on!

Working when pregnant : Directgov - Parents

Good luck with it all honey - loads of love xxxx

Ellebear is correct and they will have to do regular risk assessments with you.
But why don't you see if your doctor will give you a line saying that for x amount of weeks you can't do any lifting, then tell your employer once your contract is renewed

Id agree with Ellebear (I deal with maternity at work), tell your employer when possible if you think its going to cause harm to your pregnancy.

However, we do have people who dont inform us until alot further down the line, like a previous poster said to be entitled to statutory leave and pay you have to let them know 15 weeks before the baby is due, so you've got ages in that respect. Good luck!

oo thanks Elle..

Okay after chatting with OH .. im going to tell her tomorrow.. after working today i was exhuated and my back killed by the end of the day.. thats not good for me or baby.

Oh gawd. Wish me luck!

Its good to know that as i requested my payrise before hand it shouldnt affect and im going to reiterate tomorrow that i wasnt aware of the pregnancy when i requested the meeting reguarding payrise.. so that A she doesnt think iv forgotten (wouldnt put it past her to 'forget' to get back to me on that one) and B, if its true that im 'protected' once iv told her.. then she cant screw me over contract wise.

i need a new contract in jan as i work more hours and have a different rate of pay and job status as stated in my current contract that i signed a year ago! xox

Okay, so she's just phoned me.

So i bit the bullet and told her..

response was:

Ohhh, thats fantastic! how are you feeling etc... then came..

was it planned.. (instant responce.. no! lol) then she started muttering somthing about talking about maternity.. reveiwing the heavy lifting.

Tomorrow will be fun.. oh the joy. I just hope to god this baby sticks with me so its worth telling for. x

well. Im really upset.
i had no help at all reguarding heavy lifting today.. no 'your okay to lift that arnt you? or how are you feeling?
and she ignored me all day.. hardly any convo at all which is really annoying when theres only two of you in!

Fricks sake. Shes a mother herself. Why is she being like this?

Fern she's thinking of herself & probably thinks you'd it all planned etc. Go in tomorrow & go somewhere private & sort out the maternity pay, heavy lifting etc. I'd a funny feeling that you might get this reaction. Try not to be upset as stressing not good for babs & speak to her tomorrow.

Sending you virtual {{{hugs}}} XX

well. Im really upset.
i had no help at all reguarding heavy lifting today.. no 'your okay to lift that arnt you? or how are you feeling?
and she ignored me all day.. hardly any convo at all which is really annoying when theres only two of you in!

Fricks sake. Shes a mother herself. Why is she being like this?

You've said yourself that she is pretty much f**ked without you - and you have basically just told her that you are leaving (albeit, only on maternity leave). I don't know how experienced she is in running businesses, or whether she has had to deal with employees getting pregnant before, but maybe she is worrying about how the whole maternity pay/rights etc thing works, and how she will cope without you around.

Don't take it personally, although she is focussing on the effect it will have on her, and her business atm, I am sure that if you talk to her, you can sort it out between you.

Thanks girls. I was a bit concerned this morning when i got a text at half 6 this morn saying her husband would be in this morning to do the heavy lifting and she was taking a half day to catch up on admin, leaving me to take all the classes this morning.. with the assistant whos also just told her she cant work wednesday's anymore.. ah, im sure thats gone done well also haha

although when she turned up at lunch she seemed okayish, better. Chattier.... so im hoping shes getting over it.

we will sit down and talk about it eventually but right now i dont want to be pressured into saying il come back full time when i dont mean it! or commiting myself to work i cant do. Although iv got an idea of what i plan, im still getting my head around the fact there is actually a bubba in me LOL

Although i mentioned to bosses hubby that i was worried that boss was in a faff over it and he was just like 'oh dont worry about her!' so im hoping he'l keep her in check..

no mention of payrise i asked for though. No suprise there.

To be fair to her, she is probably panicing about all the employment laws that go along with pregnancy and maternity pay/leave. I bet she looked up on the internet about heavy lifting and realised she had made a boo boo by letting you do the lifting the day after you had told her you were pregnant. If anything had happened she would be up the creek without a paddle!!!

She sounds like she isn't very experienced in human resources and has got a lot to get her head around.

The law is so much on your side, so I wouldn't worry too much. Try and relax and enjoy your pregnancy xxxx

I also think that it's quite tough for small businesses when it comes to maternity, I know that it has been said on the news that it can be quite costly for the business owner so she is probably a little worried.
However, that is not your problem Fern, but I think maybe that's where she's coming from.
Employment law is there to support you though so make sure you know what you are entitled to hun and take care. xx

As far as i know she can claim the majority of the maternity pay she gives me back??

I recon she was proberly on the internet searching maternity laws the minute she got off the phone to me that night haha

we'l see how it goes, iv got 4 more days left.. (tomorrow.. mon, tues and wed) and will only be putting equipment up and down tomo, up on mon and take it down on wed as we can leave it up as we are only business still running from next week as everyone else has broken up.

then im off to cornwall to enjoy being pregnant and spending time with OH .. horah! xox

She can claim back 104.5% of the Statutory Maternity Payment, so she shouldnt be worrying about that! Good for you just enjoy every moment of being pregnant, its only for 9 months!!!! :D

Back