when to stop??

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
Hey girls and boys,

i have personal Q to ask of you all. How do you know when to stop dieting??

when i first started, i wanted to be a comfortable size 12, no less but wanted 5 stone off. I still have 12 pounds till that 5 stone award, but am already a size 10.

I don't really know what to do. I really wanted a whole 5 stone off, to make me 9 stone 10, but i dont want to be any smaller a dress size? .. i dont know what is more important to me, size or weight?

i am hoping by joining the gym i will be gaining some muscle and tone myself all over so i can be truely happy with my body, however i am very grateful for where i am now and sw and the support you all give me.. and without i wouldnt be were i am now.

but how do you know when to stop? my body isnt slowing the weight loss down, so its not like i'v hit my plateau yet..

when will you know when to stop? and when you'l be happy with your target. have any of you had conflicting targets at weight and sizes? x

I think you should stop when you feel comfortable hun. Thing with SW, as you already know, it doesnt even feel like your dieting, its pretty much healthy eating anyway. So if you wanted to stop then just stick to a healthy eating plan I guess :)

I take it you must be in a healthy BMI category now are you? If so then it is totally up to you. My personal goal is to get a healthy BMI first then see how I feel. If you are having conflicts with yourself over this then you must be pretty happy with the weight you are now, maybe you could make the weight you are now your target and stay with it for a while whilst you are going to the gym and see if you can maintain the weight whilst toning up. Then see how you go from there. A size 10 from a size 18 is a FANTASTIC achievement. You have done soooooo well. Only you can tell how happy you are with your body though!!! x x x

i think thats the problem too.. cause i dont feel like im dieting, this is my way of life now.. i love sw.. and i go to the meetings to lose weight, so although the point of target is to maintain.. i dunno how id cope with going and staying the same each week untill i was 9 stone 10.. but then i dont want to be any smaller.. i want to be curvy. I think size 12 is a really nice curvy but smaller curvy size.. i reli didnt want to be a 10.. but i really dont want to be 10 and half stone either!

what annoys me even more, is the nhs will still class me as over weight at 9 stone 10 :-|

but im all a bit confused about what i should do now. i dont want to keep losing weight and realise im not happy being smaller.. but i dont want to call target early and then realise i want more off?

i know i sound like a complete loon.. LOL and i know im also sounding reli stupid complaining about losing weight! *slaps hand*

i just wandered how other people plan to know thier limit? x

I take it you must be in a healthy BMI category now are you? If so then it is totally up to you. My personal goal is to get a healthy BMI first then see how I feel. If you are having conflicts with yourself over this then you must be pretty happy with the weight you are now, maybe you could make the weight you are now your target and stay with it for a while whilst you are going to the gym and see if you can maintain the weight whilst toning up. Then see how you go from there. A size 10 from a size 18 is a FANTASTIC achievement. You have done soooooo well. Only you can tell how happy you are with your body though!!! x x x

thank you hunny, but no :( bmi is still overweight / obsese and still would be at target :O

Going by your ticker, your target is in the 'healthy' BMI range! If I were you, I'd get there, maintain my weight with SW, add in some exercise and wait 3 months to see how you feel.

Talk to your consultant about it. Its really tough I think, especially when you are happy (even more so when you were a size 12). I would love to be able to give you more advice but unfortunately I am a LONG way to getting in the same situation. Good luck and let us know what you decide x x

oh, well then, the bmi tracker online that iv been using is lieing to me? lol ahh, technology!

that does seem like a good plan, i think what i might do is get to my 4 and half stone award, which is another 4 pounds yet, so assuming it carrys on at 1 pound a week, i should have done a fair few weeks at the gym and fitness classes and could re-assess then?

how did everyone choose thier target? did you base it on weight or size? x

Them NHS recommended weight charts are rubbish! I would love to be 10 stone but the probelm with me being is that I will probably hit the 10 stone mark then want to be 9.5 stone etc etc! Your situation doesnt sound stupid at all, but at the end of the day you have to do what makes you happy and feel good. You have done so well getting where you have done now it would be a shame to let it get you down! I would just stay along the lines of slimming world and maybe just mix and match food a bit more?

What height are you Fern? Every BMI calculator should be the same as it's just a mathematical calculation!

I went with a combination of weight and size, but mostly weight. I know I used to fit into a particular dress when I looked well and not too thin/gaunt, so was aiming for that as a guide as I don't know what weight I was then. But ultimately, I don't want to be overweight any more and things like waist size do a lot to predict your risk factor for things like heart disease, etc.

using mix to match could start to re-boost my weight loss though, as im on constant extra easy and i find each time switch to a plan after months of doing one, it always gives a few pounds loss.. and i really dont need that at the mo. i want to get to target slowly so i can moniter it closely so i dont get carried away and find im unhappy you see? but thanks for the advise hunnys

xxxx

What height are you Fern? Every BMI calculator should be the same as it's just a mathematical calculation!

I went with a combination of weight and size, but mostly weight. I know I used to fit into a particular dress when I looked well and not too thin/gaunt, so was aiming for that as a guide as I don't know what weight I was then. But ultimately, I don't want to be overweight any more and things like waist size do a lot to predict your risk factor for things like heart disease, etc.

im only 5'2, (if that) LOL

thats a really good way to base your target, for me i really wanted to be a 12, because i like being curvy. . and i always associated size 10 as difficult to maintain and as my sister is a size 10, also quite shapeless? ( no offence to those who have hit a 10 already, size ten looks different on everyone i know..)

i feel like im being really selfish complaining! and silly.. but i am also very aware that i dont want to get obbsessed, so like to check in with sane minded people every know and then ;) x

My personal opinion is to go with your instinct, what do you feel comfortable with and are you happy and comfortable with the weight and size at the moment?? What do people around you think, do they think a little bit more weight lost would be too much??

When I did RC years ago with my sister she would loose huge amounts every week then she reaches 7st 1lb which was far too low and really didnt suit her she looked like a little boy!! Sometimes asking family members will give you the answer, don't get obssesive because thats a dangerous place to be.....good luck :)

iv asked my mum, and she just said she thinks 9 stone 10 would be a good place to be, but she is tiny and doesnt understand my feelings towards being smaller.. my OH has never wanted me to lose weight, he supports me.. but deep down he has always been wary of the diet because he worrys il go to far or that it upsets me when i get stressed.. although he doesnt ever bring this up i do know that this is how he feels.. so when i ask him about how much more weight he thinks would be good for me.. he just says i should stop now and that i look great as i am now.

i think the thing is, every week people just ask me how much iv lost this week... and for because no one ever asks were i actually want to be.. i always take it that i do need to keep going? but then the other day a girl i train with told me my legs were too skinny :O i was mortified ..

i wish i could see my body from an outside view.. cause it feels so different trying to decide for myself.. somtimes i feel just right, othertimes i still feel too big, and other times i find myself almost ashamed for being a size 10 when i have always maintained i wante dto be a 12 and no less :( because iv always said that you dont have to be small and skinny to be happy and beautiful.. and i wanted to be an inspiration to girls my age, because many girls do get carried away and take it too far.. you know??

xxxx

Hi Fern, I can only reitterate what everyone has said. I gave myself an approximate target of 10 1/2 stone, but if I feel that I want to stop before that I will. I really do think you need to follow your instincts hun.

I know what you mean about getting carried away though. You see alot of people let the obsession take it too far, and that's ok for them, but if you're not comfy with it then don't!!

I too, like you, don't wanr to be a 10. I embrace my curves and would hate to lose them completely!!

As said before, just follow your instincts hunny :):)

K xx

I too, like you, don't wanr to be a 10. I embrace my curves and would hate to lose them completely!!

As said before, just follow your instincts hunny :):)

K xx

That really is exactly how i feel!! .. i also have this little bit of me that feels like i have to prove i can get to were i said i would, because no one ever thought i'd stick it out (even my consultant admits that she didnt think i'd turn up to 2nd weigh in! i was very negative) and i feel like i have to get a whole 5 stone off to prove that i can and have done it.. and not give it up before i get there??

i feel like i have so much emotion surrounding my target that im not really fully enjoying where i am now.

I think i'm going to make a concious desion to get to my 4 and half stone award and call target. Im going to see how i feel trying to maintain, and use that time to really get to know myself again and how i feel about my body. Think i need some 'me' time to figure out where i want to be. Then i'l know whether i really want to lose more, or call target permantly

do you all think thats a good idea? xxx

I think that's the best idea hun! :) To get 4 and a half is only another 4lb, and lets face it you've done fantastically well. No one is going to look at you calling target at that stage as failing, in fact far from it! You're being sensible and comfortable in your own skin by doing it that way!

You obviously felt unhappy being bigger, so I'm sure you don't want to feel unhappy being too skinny for what you're comfortable with!

I think you're looking at this with fantastic perspective hun. You'll know when you're ready to call target, and when you do....rejoice! :):)

K xx

Thank you everyone.. i really feel like youv all helped me work this out! it was starting to get me quite down.. i hate being all confused! lol

i will keep you updated on weight loass as usual and how i get on with it all..

gym induction this eve ... :O aaaahhhh lol x

I think you have made a great decision hun!!!
Also...........GOOD LUCK with your gym induction later. I bet you will have a great time. x x x

Im only going to say this- stop until you're happy with the woman you're looking at in the mirror

Back