When were you first aware?

No I wouldnt want that! I know what you mean about a chain of events that keep the weight an issue but Im still confused as to why there are slim people who dont need to work at keeping weight off and i dont mean the gym bunnies and also have faced trauma and really bad times yet the dont reach for food ever as a source of comfort. my friend recently went through a divorce and instantly lost 4 stone (as well as the 14st that walked out the door and left her) but I reckon if that happened to me and touch wood it doesnt then i would just gain it.!I know it can be done as the stories on here are incredible and I lost my five stone 11 years ago but its all crept back. Thanks for sharing tho cos its so helpful in my search to find my key downfalls and how to try and avoid them.
Hugs everyone xxxMaria xxx

For me, I don't think there was a particular point. I was always a chubby kid, not excessively large. Then I stopped eating meat, aged 10 and my parents, not knowing a great deal nutrition-wise would fill me up with cheese and bread, til I was 12, then I started cooking for myself, but had taken on lots of bad habits already, and didn't know how to eat healthily.
I steadily grew to 15 stone, when I was 18, lost 3 stone, and then at Uni, a diet of takeaways and booze took its toll...

Anyways...... I think the most memorable moment for me, when I was working for Etam [anyone remember that shop?!] and it was bought out by the Arcadia Group [Topshop, Burtons, Evans, Miss Selfridge, Dotty Ps..] the regional manager took one look at me and said, "Guess you'll be going to work for Evans then"... And at the time I was a fashionable size 18.. I didn't think I was THAT fat!

When I left there, I was a size 28 :| Go figure.

It can only get better.... Heck, I rambled. Did I even answer the question?? :D

I think the most memorable moment for me, when I was working for Etam the regional manager took one look at me and said, "Guess you'll be going to work for Evans then"...

When I left there, I was a size 28 :| Go figure.

Yeah I remember Etam!! My first saturday job was at Chelsie Girl...anyhow, some peole really don't think do they, do they see themselves as funny, helping, or what?? I'm reading these posts and shaking my head in frustraition at how silly some folk really are.

when i left school i started to gain weight, i was always a size 14 and was happy. Then when i was an 18 and a size 18 i knew i was getting bigger.

Once i'd had my daughter i still carried on eating and at christmas last year i decided i'd reched my peak! I couldnt fit into anything anyone bought me and couldnt exchange because the bigger sizes left were too tight. I hate sales, i could never buy anything!!
Now im nearly back to a 14 and ill be able to go to the sales in peace :D

I distinctly remember being picked on at school for being 'podgy' when I was 5 or 6 but at the time I didn't really understand that it was about my weight. I think my mum was trying to help but she put me on a diet and gave me special lunches which meant I got picked on even more. Looking at photos I wasn't even really a very chubby child - but we moved a lot and I was always the 'new kid' and I think kids just pick on anything really.

When I was 10 I went to stay with my dad in America for one month - he eats a lot and I had put weight on. I remember the look on my mum's face when I came home. Then I heard her on the phone screaming at him that I looked 'disgusting' and 'I hardly recognised her'. This is when I realised that I was 'fat'.

I started WW at age 16 and on and off I've dieted and put weight back on. I went to visit my dad again just after I started to lose weight when I was 16, I said to him, 'Do you like my new jeans?' I was really pleased because I'd got into a size 16. He just replied 'Not really, you're f***ing huge aren't you? Why are you so fat?'

My mum is a lot more supportive now bless her - I text her every time I lose a pound!

I don't remember being particularly big at school but I did develop quite early and was always bigger busted which got me noticed and being quite shy it made me feel quite awkward.

I put on weight after I left school and went into panic mode, I loved my food and didn't really know how to control portions etc so I ended up becoming bulimic. I lost a lot of weight and began to feel confident about my figure and ended up meeting up with my High School crush and being asked out. instead of putting it down to us growing up a bit and me having more confidence I thought it must be because I was thinner and now began a terrible relationship with food as it was impossible to stay thin and healthy by binging and purging. I ended up putting on more weight from the binge eating and feeling terrible.I managed to cure myself of the need to purge the food but didn't get over the binging part.

My most recent ex liked big women and was a bit of a feeder to be honest and hated when I lost weight, he then cheated on me with another woman who was smaller than me (b@stard :mad:.)

When I met my husband in 2002 I was at by biggest. He must have seen past the fat as when we look back at photos from that time he says he doesn't remember me being so big (and then spoils it by saying it was probably because I was good in bed, cheeky bugger ;)). I took a huge chance and moved to South Africa with him in 2003. I lost loads of weight by following weightwatchers and walking everyday and hit my target weight just before my wedding in 2005 and felt fabulous on my big day.

I got pregnant in 2006 and was really good for the first 5 or 6 months but it was the last 2 months that got me as I really got lazy and didn't feel like cooking and after my daughter was born I was so tired all the time that we often got take out to save having to cook. I ended up a year later with a 1 year old daughter and I weighed more than the day before I gave birth to her.

I turned 37 in January and had just begun to resign myself to being fat for good when something clicked in me and I decided I was not going to be fat and 40. So here I am!! Wow therapy session of note... well done if you got through reading all of it. :eek:

wow thanks for being so honest and you have also hit the nail on the head when you say that "something clicked". I seem to have been up and down since my big and successful weight loss 11 years ago and prob got very lazy in attitude toward shifting the weight but like you something has clicked and Im 42 and my 40th photos are not what I imagined so Im dam sure my 43rd will be a lot better. Good on you girl xx Maria

I don't remember a perticular time when ive been made aware of my weight, but ive always been aware i wasnt slim compared to everyone else, just by looking at my friends. There has been many times when ive already been aware of my weight people have made comments. There the ones laughing now, least ive got somewhere with my life, whilst they continue to be the bullies they were.

so, tomorrow will be the end of my first WW week, couldnt help peeking on the scales and although there was no visible loss on the scales last night, there is a 2lb loss this morning (yes i know its always better to weigh yourself after a night without food!), question is, dare i look this evening and see wether its back on again?!! lol.

Well my friend I know I will prob get shouted at from every angle (so I wll whisper)I weigh every morning and night and Im always 2lb heavier at night so I still get a buzz if its a new and lighter number at night as it then means the morning one will also have changed. Im not telling anyone else to do this Im just saying it totally works for me and keeps me much more disciplined with the food aspect than just once a week.
Hope that helps a bit? but ssshh? Maria x

Last edited:
I heard another story today of a lady who had a four day old baby when her husband left... saying ive watched you grow like a whale,get stretch marks that would fill a map , now your leaking both end and you expect me to stay? To which began a devasting journey and relationship with food and men and even some resentment to the baby.
However a friend she hadnt seen in 15 years unexpectedly arrived on her doorstep on the very day she was going to end it all. She burst into tears, the friend just held her til it grew dark then made a meal for them and stayed the night (child was now 3 and safe at grans.. I asked too)The next day the friend got her to go to counselling, in time she also joined ww, in time she studied counselling and now is about to retire from 30 years of being a counsellor to single parent families who need her. She re married and had 2 more children and has been happy to this day but said "we must never forget the past but strength comes from learning to forgive it."
I will leave you to ponder and let me know what you think...Maria x

what a story that is irish... what a k#ob her ex was!
all power to her for getting to where she is now...

i remember one guy i went out with, many moons ago, well did not really go out with him cos on the first night when we were snuggling up he said.." you are so... so ... vast!" i didnt see him again, and always have remembered that word, even though 30 years have past! (at the time i was a 16.. his ex was an 8!) lol

Isn't it sad, how so many of us have let other people (particularly men grrrr) make us feel so awful about ourselves. One major change I made was deciding right from the start of this process that my real goal was to be happy and losing weight was only one of the hurdles to overcome on that path. Being thin doesn't make you happy by itself (been there , done that, have many shirts in various sizes) but it may be the first hurdle to overcome and give you confidence to deal with the other cr@p in your life. Be it a cr@ppy job, partner etc.
Good luck everyone on their various paths. It's good to read other people's stories it makes me realise I am not alone in my struggles and reading the positive things makes me realise we can all reach our goals with the right motivation.
Ooooh philosophy so early in the day, I should be on Oprah lol.

You are so right tho smuller and I hope more people read and donate to this thread so we can learn from it.Last night I asked my children if If I have ever said anything that they remember straight away that has caused them hurt. Relieved when the two older boys shook their head but then my baby boy (who is actually 10 now) with tears in his eyes said" Yes I remember you threatened to chop cuddles (his favourite monkey) head off if I didnt stop swinging him in your face!"
Well I held him last night and and apologised deeply for saying such a thing( 2 years ago at the airport waiting to board a plane and time of month) he has now "let it go" and we have all agreed to let each other know if a certain comment really hurts so we can deal with it and move on, than have it become a painful memory. So much good is happening in this web site. Keep sharing and letting go . Maria xx

Back