when you get slim, How you going to stay there?? (food mentioned)

tillyfloss

Gold Member
I have been thinking about this a lot, as I have dieted ALL my life (well since being about 9) and I don't want to spend the rest of my life dieting.

I was talking to my sister who is just under 9 stone and naturally slim about how she keeps her figure.

Funnily until very recently, maybe a month or so, she never ever exercised but now in her late 40's has just taken up a learn to jog programme...
Anyway, her way of staying slim is as follows....
Mon to Friday, she is really careful with what she eats, skim milk, diet drinks, fresh stemed veg, chicken and fish etc,,,

Saturday and sunday she indulges in her favourite food treats, if she feels like it, her faves being fish and chips and roast dinner with trimmings.
over the week, her calories are obviosuly balanced and I think this would really work for me too.
I am lucky in that I don't drink alcohol so don't have to factor int he empty calories from that, so feel confident that this might work for me....
Has anyone else given any thought to how they are going to stay in slimdom ?(once we have completed the maintenence steps of course)

xx

Hey Tillyfloss

my CD counsellor does exactly the same thing as your sister, she is very careful and controlled Mon-Friday and then will have what she wants at the weekend, ie takeway, roast dinner etc.

She looks amazing and has stayed at goal whilst enjoying her food.

One thing I have been thinking about is that when I start eating again I really want to focus on the quality of the food I put in my mouth, and plan to have an organic veggie box delivered. All this time not eating anything, hopefully will make me appreciate simpler flavours rather than fatty foods.

I too, don't want to feel that I am dieting for the rest of my life, but want to be in control rather than food controlling me and my thoughts!

I was thinking along the same lines really. Be careful during the week, don't snack on junk, cut down on portion sizes,etc-then at the weekend I can have a roast dinner and my favourite chicken curry. I'll have to keep up with some form of exercise too. I don't drink either-I'd much rather eat my calories than drink them!

Saturday and sunday she indulges in her favourite food treats, if she feels like it, her faves being fish and chips and roast dinner with trimmings.
over the week, her calories are obviosuly balanced and I think this would really work for me too.

I did consider this but decided it wouldn't work for me. I didn't want to restrict through the week...not forever anyway, and worried that it would give me an excuse to overindulge at the weekends.

Prefer to eat what I want each day, but to keep everything in moderation.

That's my way anyway :)

Hi Tilly,

I have been thinking about this lots to. It is the thing that panics me the most, I so do not want to lose control and spiral up the scales again - and it would be sooooo easy!
When I get to where I want to be and go through maintenance I am hoping that I will be saintly during the week and have 1 day off at the weekend. I am not saying gorging on choc or huge takeaways every Saturday, but maybe a meal out (either starter or pudding not both!)
I do know that I will have to stay in control though, it would be so easy to slip into my bad lazy habits of easy fatty food meals and a nightly choc bar.
For me it has to be a lifestyle change!
Take care and keep up the fantastic work.
Jemma x

Good post hon!!!
Well what I have decided is to have a personal trainer when I get to goal to keep me on the straight and narrow.
Then I plan to be really healthy during the week and have a treat on the weekend.. Say I have chinese I would like to think I would go for the healthier chinese (if there is one) rather than the worst things.

My sister does this and she is so slim. My parents are rigid they are slim too but hardly treat themselves but I think you have to have a bit of what you fancy sometimes otherwise whats the point!!!

I plan on doing the monday to Friday thing but not blowing out either. Moderation and excercise!!

I'm going to be good 80% of the time, and maybe a little deviant some of the time.

Lufe goes on, I'm thinking that by the time I get through maintenance, I'll have a better grasp of what "normal" is. I've spent so long either underweight through not looking after myself, working 8- hours weeks etc or overweight and dieting that I've lost all track of what it means to eat "normally"

Oh yeah - and I'm going to start running properly again. I loved it when I was younger - used to run competitively and now I really miss it the more weight I'm losing.

I know I'm going to have to work in some exercise to my week to stay at goal and more than the daily stroll I do now! I've been to the gym in the past but never thought much of it. I really enjoyed Netball at school so that might be an idea, or maybe a fitness class, suppose that would also increase my social circle.

Awww. Have to admit I'm saddened that so many people plan to spend every Mon to Fri for the rest of their lives, undereating, just so they can overeat on two days a week :(

I know I probably shouldn't say...each to their own and all that, just DH says I have a sad face on :cry:

I wouldn't say undereating!! Just eating healthy nutritious food during the week not the mountain of pasta and cheese I would have previously, and save my wine and cheese time for the weekends!!

Hi KD,

I think for me it won't be about undereating Mon-Fri, it just about making the healthier choices. I have always been a chips rather than jacket spud person and huge bar of wholenut rather than a couple of chunks of choc. Certainly everything in moderation, but for me there has to be the element of control. If I can stick to around 1200 cals a day Mon-Fri instead of 2500-3000 I was consuming before, I would be happy!
X

I know what you mean KD, but its horses for courses as they say

I'm going to try the eating well and healthily most of the time, but I know there will be the odd time where I will have something naughty, like a takeaway or cake, BUT its everything in moderation and moderation in everything.

Sadly the thing I'm most excited about is the running. Oh and I'm going to learn how to swim too. I can do breaststroke, but cant "crawl"

:(

Awww. Have to admit I'm saddened that so many people plan to spend every Mon to Fri for the rest of their lives, undereating, just so they can overeat on two days a week :(

I know I probably shouldn't say...each to their own and all that, just DH says I have a sad face on :cry:

KD.. noooooooo
I don't plan to undereat!
At home now I have changed my whole families meals, they eat lots of fresh fish, white meat and lots of veggies...
Before I used to eat takeaways 3 times a week and lived on convenience foods all the other time...
I do however like chinese, pizza etc... so want to ration them right down so I am keeping myself in check....
xx

swimming is the best lex, I love it. Only downside is having to bare my massive white thighs!!

I plan to enjoy food again, rather than being lazy! I have really found myself again and my love for cooking, I notice a huge difference with the children with it too. Tonight they had chicken breast wrapped with Home grown garlic and parsley, then we made some wedges and they had veg on the side!! simple but doable for me once I am back to eating.

Don't like takeouts much, as I also would rather have my own hm curry and things! Going to watch my carbs and eat low gi carbs

I plan to stay within a cc allowence, if I go over because of a planned night out or something, then not panic, and get right back to he allowence (does that make sence?)

Like kd I really dont see why eat Mon-Fri then blow out at weekend?? but each to there own ;-)

I have really uped my excerise and am starting to enjoy it rather than doing it because I feel I have too!! I am going to start excerise class after the half term to help tone me up too I am really looking forward to it

I plan to go back to eating what I have been for the past few years - healthy home cooking, just cutting out the snacking and keep an eye on portion size. If I overindulge a bit then I'll rein in the next day, but I agree with KD, a bit of what you fancy does no harm in moderation.

I like having a glass of red wine with a meal, and I don't really see it as empty calories - to me it is all part of a good meal.

Meant to add I also plan to start exercising a lot more once I've lost weight. I want to get into yoga and get back to horse riding.

Carry on eating on plenty of chicken and fish, red meat a couple of times a week, nothing processed and just wholegrain carbs + potatoes, fruit and veg. Breakfast is crucial, eat 6 meals a day rather than 1(like I used to). Occasional treats when I feel like it but just limited. Couple of pints at the weekend.
Have to admit my problem was down to bad choices and lazyness however I love food fullstop so taking better options will hopefully not be a problem. Ive got really into exercising now and seeing how much exercise it takes to burn off such a small amount as a bar of chocolate puts it all in perspective.
:)

Back