Where are all the nice strawberries at???

Aha!!! My Asda ones are elsanta and not so good!

Elsanta is a very popular variety with growers and retailers, as it gives a very good crop, is very reliable, and has a long shelf life. And there is nothing wrong with it, as far as it goes. But there are much nicer-tasting varieties available.

Pick Your Own farms don't have to worry about whether the strawberries are easy to pick, or whether they have a long shelf-life - that's your problem, and presumably you aren't going to worry too much if some of them get squashed on the way home! So they can grow the less robust varieties and that's why they always taste nicer.

I have been told that one of the best kinds to get is called Marie Dubois, but I have never seen it - if you do, let me know!

My neighbour gave me some off of her allotment for cutting her sons hair and they delish. Might grow some in the garden next year. I also had some nice ones from sainsbury, they were british and all the better for being half price. Also loving raspberrys at the moment.

I get mine from Morrisons, but not the cheapy ones. They are really yummy, I haven't had any dodgy tasting ones and I buy 3 punnets a week!

I bought some Tesco Value :eek: strawberries yesterday. They're from Kent, and they're lovely and dark, and small too. Small dark strawberries are sweeter than the bright red things :)

Ooo, if anyone likes cherries, Morrisons have punnets of Picota cherries for £1. Lush!! :D xxx

I finished off the reduced co-op ones today, 2 days past their best but nevermind. I didn't realise there were so many different varieties so had a look and they were Evie, no wonder I thought they were gorgeous. Avisk has taught us all about Strawberries.:D

Strawberry experts now we are!

I finished off the reduced co-op ones today, 2 days past their best but nevermind. I didn't realise there were so many different varieties so had a look and they were Evie, no wonder I thought they were gorgeous. Avisk has taught us all about Strawberries.:D

My pleasure!! It is good that these days supermarkets do state what variety of fruit and vegetables we are buying, and often they say where they were grown, too.

I like to know that my strawberries are from Hampshire and my raspberries are from Berkshire!!

Sometimes in Waitrose they tell you the exact farm they come from.

Back